Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was always raised and taught that with BANKS you couldn't go wrong. I use my LBZ 3500SRW for vacation/trip/night out uses only. It's stock right now and I tow quite a bit. What I want to do is put some kind of intake (leaning towards K&N, again, the way I've been raised), some kind of CHIP/programmer, and an exhaust.

Also, while I'm asking, has anybody had any problems with the new low-sulfer diesel fuel getting waxy and clogging anything? I haven't, but something I hust read on here kind of scared me.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I would answer some questions first like what kind of performance are you looking for? whats your budget? do you want shift on the fly or no? do you want to tune on your own?

I personnaly prefer EFILive. I use my truck for my daily transport and avg 4,000 miles a month and rarely tow over 4,500 pds and like to go to the strip sometimes. I have heard of alot of problems with Banks and would shy away from it (this is not from experience just alot of hearsay). I have also had bad experiences with K&N I use the stock filter but I drive in alot of dirt and dont want an oil filled filter to clogg with dirt and besides theydont filter very well thats why they flow well.

I woud recomend keep the stock or similar filter and go with EFILive maybe from trippin he gives a free tow tune with purchase of EFILive which should be good for getting your feet wet and helping to tow and if you need more power when you arent towing ask around here for a more powerful tune to help you learn what it takes. I also think an exhaust would help you to lower egt's and a little power maybe. If you want a canned programmer I like my superchips and think I need to sell it.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
The problems you have been hearing about are from Edge not Banks.

·
Registered
741 Posts
x2 for EFI Live

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I have a 99 F250 Superdooty. At 221,000 I bought a Banks Stinger Plus kit. After installation I realized a 1.8 mpg gain and everything advertised on the Banks site which this particular upgrade would do. When the Ottomind crapped out after about 4 mos. I sent it back and Banks re-flashed it . no charge. I now have 291,000 0n truck and I feel the Banks kit was worth every penny especialy their trans comand.

I am waiting for Banks to bring out the Tuner for the LBZ. I will purchase it when it is available.
One other note . I purchased an exhaust system from Banks for my 1986 6.9 F250 in 1987 and it was still perfect in 2000 when the truck had 450,000 mi on it when it was stolen. Banks has been around a while

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
All manufacter had bad units. Edge does take care of people also. Edge wanted everyone to be honest on there units. Any problems get taken care of. Does Banks even had there system out that they promised what back in Oct. for sure??? I am sure the great Banks does have a bad unit once in a while too. I have personally never used Banks, but I am getting so sick of the Edge Bash. There are many people that are happy with their Edges units. You only here the people that Bit$h.

I really like the safety feature on the edge. I think EFI is going to be a great product too. I some day might have that too, but for now I like my warranty & the Edge safety.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
I think the best is till far from being released. I know I've been saying this for quite some time now, but it sure doesn't seem like there's a ton of improvement going on, in fact many Companies are not actively improving beyond their initial releases as they've gone on to other projects...

·
Registered
380 Posts
Who are you waiting on? EFI still needs more support for the LBZ. And all the programmers out right now don't add boost or control EGTs very well. I would like to get some feedback on the new Quadzilla Stealth for the LBZ as I found them to have decent tunes in the past.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I actually had a guy tell me his quadzilla was better than my efilive the other day I almost fell over laughing. I am sure that they are nice though( dont want to offend anyone)

·
Registered
380 Posts
I don't think there is any question. EFI is in a league of its own. Can't wait for them to have switchable tuning for the LBZ. But it is not for everyone. It takes quite a bit of time and patience or money for someone else to customize a tune for you.

·
Registered
425 Posts
If your looking for serious hp I would go with a PPE Hot+2. They also make some other boxes that are tuned down in power and price.:)

·
Registered
538 Posts
Waiting on EFI DPP switch for LBZ also. I'd love to change from tow, mpg, high hp, and insanity on the fly.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
If you dont want to spend too much i highly recommend the diablosports preditor...good power...and you can get it to your door for 300

·
Registered
445 Posts
PPE Hot +2 E.T. for xtreme ummph... J/A is good for on the fly adjustability and daily driving.. :) Both kick Arse

·
Registered
31 Posts
predator is great. 1000 miles with it so far on econo. 65hp and a little on the 85 hp. w/ no ill effects and good mileage.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I'm over 15 with over 100hp bump all the way through.. more so also..

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
i really like my edge evo. level one and two are pretty safe on the stock tranny but still has a 100hp tune. for the price its great for having a built in egt and boost guages along with many other features. i think for the average person its the best programmer out there. sure if your planning on wanting more than a 100hp tune, built trans and willing to spend alittle more and having more time efilive is probably the way to go.

·
Registered
63 Posts
superchip is really good, i mean you can update it and all you have to do is wait on the thing to update and then plug that thing in and ride out. lot of power without slipping the tranny or anything like that..

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
EFILive hands down! Drivability, adjustability, scan tool, data logging, read and reset DTC's, correct speedo, raise speed limiters, the list goes on and on.

EFILive is not just for power, even though the Kennedy Race tune I'm running has ran a best of 13.35 it has some of the best drivability of all programs I have tried. The other thing about a well written tune is that unless you are towing max wieght or don't have a built trans you can run the same tune ALL the time. There are several of Kennedy's customers that have towed 5'ers or 10k lb trailers using his race tune without EGT issues.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts