Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious about the new G-80 rear end. What has changed , and what makes it superior to the older governor lock style differential?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I dont recall where I read the decription. but the last info I saw was that the design wasn't changed but made stronger when the switch to AAM rearends was made. I've got a 93 Z-71, 99 tahoe and an 03 Dmax, This Gov lock seems to react quicker than the others did when new. I've only had one problem with the Gov locks which was my fault towing to much weight on a dirt road in my 93 1/2 ton. the case cracked and parts went everywhere and took out the whole rearend. that was with 120,000 miles on it so I guess it lasted along time the way I drove it.

If ya find out anymore please post the info. I'm considering changing to a E-locker in the 03 so I can control when it locks.

·
Registered
245 Posts
For what it's worth... I've noticed a substantiol differance from my '02 and '04 locker rear ends.

The 02 would chatter and grag at the oddest of times. The 04 is very smooth and I hardly know I have a locker.

cmc

·
Registered
34 Posts
IF you get a GMC it has an Eaton electronic locking unit looks like a coil locks the two axles together until 20 mph look at Eaton.com

·
Registered
398 Posts
lasergrave said:
IF you get a GMC it has an Eaton electronic locking unit looks like a coil locks the two axles together until 20 mph look at Eaton.com

So is the Chevy different?

·
Registered
570 Posts
John R said:
lasergrave said:

So is the Chevy different?

Looks as both are the same;

Chevy:

Standard: GT4 Rear axle, 3.73 ratio
Option: G80 Differential, locking, heavy-duty, rear

GMC:

Standard: GT4 Rear axle, 3.73 ratio
Option: G80 Differential, locking, heavy-duty, rear

Also there's a GT5 rear axle, 4.10 ratio for Chevy and GMC, but it's not availble with the Duramax (I wish it was). Edited by: Voodoo

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I do not have one.

How much more was this option?

·
Registered
432 Posts
On my '01 it wasn't much, I think it was only about $200 extra. have to check the sticker in the file.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
My 01 was $295, and I would have gladly paid another $295 for one in the front too.....if it was available

JP

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
NoWake200 said:
I do not have one.

NoWake,

You don't really want to know the answer to that one do you?

The retail on the option was $295.00. But, if you ordered the HD package, it included the Duramax, the Allison for $1200.00 and the Eaton for a total of $1500.00 extra, then there was an HD package discount for $1000.00. So you got the Allison and the Eaton for $500.00 by ordering the package instead of individual options.

I didn't find that many trucks around here to look at, but all of them had the HD package with the Eaton and the discount.

·
Registered
105 Posts
NoWake200 said:
I do not have one.

You should have one, very few if any Dmax's came without one,unless specially ordered from what I've seen on window stickers at the lot. If by chance you don't have one and want to install something. You should go with after market, Detroit locker or an Auburn posi. or similar types. These are Much stronger than the G-80 govlock and it only works as a locker upto 20 mph. It's also questionable with tires over 33 or 34 ". I believe you can get a Detroit locker for the AAM 11.5 for around $400 or $500 dollars. Buying a factory govlock from the dealer will run over $600 or $700. Just my opinion pick any four by four magazine and do your own research. If ya dont have a locker you'll be amazed at the difference in snow or mud with one.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts

I have one!!!! I looked over it when I checked my sticker! Today was the first day it was in snow and ice....what a difference it makes!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does anyone know if the G80 is any different from previous GM Lockers? I had seen a post somewhere, That said it was a superior rear end . How long have they been using an Eaton unit?

·
Registered
105 Posts
My 93 has it, it was originally made for the military cudv trucks maybe as far back as the 80's. a civilian option from atleast 93.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Anyone know what changes have been made along the way?

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
My 90 Chevy Z71 has the Eaton locker in it and I broke the ring gear during a WOT moment...?...anyway, the gear that the gov-lock turns to lock in the posi has several teeth missing and looked to be made from a cheaper alloy. I just replaced the ring and pinion and left the locker part alone, so having it lock in is just hit or miss. Sorry to ramble....I just hope they have a better design.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had a '94 Z71 that had the heavy duty suspension package on it. It was a 1/2 ton truck, That had the 14 bolt rear end up under it.It also had heavier torsion bars. it was a $250 option that was well worth it! It was different from the 2500 series trucks , Because it still had the 6 lug axles. It was the Governor lock differential. Now that I have this new 2500 HD Duramax, I was curious what I had up under there. I haven't crawled up under it to look yet. I know it's a heck of a lot heavier looking than the 14 bolt. I am wondering if they use the alluminum drive shaft on the 2500 HD's? I'll be crawling under there to look around when the weather clears up around here. I've been riding around in the sleet and ice for the past 2 days. It sure is nice to have some decent tires and a 4X4! Thanks for all the info so far-

·
Registered
204 Posts
Gov-lock goes WAY back. Dad's 1982 C-10 has it, and it still works today. Never was as smooth as the newer ones though, it allows more slip before locking and locks more abruptly. His is in a 10-bolt GM corporate axle with 2.73 gears, behind a 250 I-6 and TH-350 tranny with a lockup torque converter. You only notice the locking action with one or both wheels on ice, because that's the only time the 92 HP can slip a tire.

The old beast is as reliable as sunrise and gets 20+ MPG, which combined with the 40 gallon fuel capacity gives it serious long range.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Well I am sure the ice will lock them up fine, but wet or steep boat ramps and wet roads going around a slow turn will too. I've had mine lock up in both of these situations, the slow turn on wet spot in the turn made for some excitement! SIDEWAYS!

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you look at the 04 Sierra book from dealer showroom it says 1500,2500,HD, series have an Eaton electronic locking rear Diff. it says Sierra is the only truck that has this feature in 04. I have not looked at my Diff. to see if wires are coming out of it yet My window sticker only states "locking differential-rear axle"

1 - 20 of 28 Posts