Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For a pyrometer guage, does anyone know the difference between Air Core Meter Movement and Stepper Motor Movement? If so what is better to use and an easier install?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,642 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
1: Both meters work equally as well.
2:

·
Registered
283 Posts
HAMOPS what is #2?
Sorry HellBoy, I had a bit of a brainf*rt.

#2: Regardless which type is used, both will require amplifiers to make them work.
#2a: The air-core will likely have it built into the case of the meter.
#2b: The stepper will likely have an outboard amplifier. The reason for the outboard amplifier is that the stepper motor and geartrain will take up a fair amount of room in the meter case.
#3: The stepper meter is a bit more sluggish in reponse, because the servo is driving a geartrain to move the pointer.
#4: The air-core is much more fragile, and can't withstand any excessive handling.
#5: The air-core will be less expensive than the stepper.

My personal choice would be a stepper. They are robust and the response is more than adequate when using them for measuring an egt thermocouple.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Actually the stepper motor gauges are some of the most precise for movement out there. Very smooth action and more responsive. We sell both types and do sell more of the air core movement type just due to pricing.

They both work good for what they were designed to do. I think it just depends on your wallet and what you want in your vehicle. Let me know if there is anything more I can help you with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts