Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know what years quadrasteer was available on crew cab pickups? Was it only available on half-ton pickups?

Anybody got one for sale? :D

·
Registered
826 Posts
I think 02 until 05

Maybe GMC had a special truck callde like a C2 or something that might have been the frist one. That might have even been 00 or 01

I think only 1500HD. My neighbor has a newer Chevy version and it looks really cool. They all have cab marker lights because the rear track is about 6"-8" wider or so. It has sort of a flaired out bed I guess half hay between a dually & a regular bed, but they are not add on fenders. The bedsides look sort of like the side of the bed on a Baja truck.

If you could have gotten one in a 2500HD W/ Dmax I would have and then I would have opted for a LB as well. I hear they tow awesome (as long as you are not too heavy, the most I will ever tow is about 5K)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I heard somewhere that the quadrasteer architecture required a rear track of 80 inches, which means that the truck has to have those rear marker lights and lights on the fenders. Apparently, they didn't pair them with diesels because delphi had not yet created a system that would work with the beefier axles/differential.

I have found a couple hereabouts that are extended cabs, but I really need a crew cab. I can't seem to find any information on what years those two options overlapped.

Maybe it's just as well, since delphi is in bankruptcy and GM today reported an additional 2 billion dollar loss (bringing last year's total to 10 billion); there may be nobody left to service them in a few more years...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I heard somewhere that the quadrasteer architecture required a rear track of 80 inches, which means that the truck has to have those rear marker lights and lights on the fenders. Apparently, they didn't pair them with diesels because delphi had not yet created a system that would work with the beefier axles/differential.

I have found a couple hereabouts that are extended cabs, but I really need a crew cab. I can't seem to find any information on what years those two options overlapped.

Maybe it's just as well, since delphi is in bankruptcy and GM today reported an additional 2 billion dollar loss (bringing last year's total to 10 billion); there may be nobody left to service them in a few more years...
We race motorcycles and my teamate that gets us to the track has a (not sure of the year) 2500, 4wd, quadsteer, crew cab, reg bed. We tow a 24ft enclosed trailer loaded to the gills with 4 bikes and tons of gear. That 4ws is really awesome, turns on a dime (I own an Express 3500 lwb). It's amazing how we can weave around cars at a gas station and the the rear wheels and trailer just follow the front wheels. I wish they'd put it on the big vans, that thing is like driving a barge.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
I think the only problem with the quad steer was it was not available on the 2500-35500 trucks.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I think the only problem with the quad steer was it was not available on the 2500-35500 trucks.
Tell me about it:(.

We decided to go back to using a slide in camper, so we've upgraded to a 2006 D/A dually. Quadrasteer dually, now that's what I'm talking about:cool:

I love our 2005 QS, 1500hd CC. It turns better than my wife's Toyota minivan! Unfortunately we can't afford two trucks, so we have to sell it. So if anyone is interested or knows of someone who's interested, please let me know. We'll make a good deal.

·
Registered
2005 GMC Yukon XL with Quadrasteer. LBZ conversion by Duraburb
284 Posts
The U-joints are the limiting factor on the QS rear end. The Dana 60 center section and 35-spline axles can handle all you throw at it (within reason). Towing limits are kept to factory minimums, depending on 4x2/4x4/ rear ratio combination.

Delphi developed an shorter length axle that would fit within the standard bed profile, just never had a chance to bring it to market. The good thing about the wider axle is increased stability brought about by the wider stance. Delphi also has numerous Duramax/Allison development mules and had quite a track record to the durability of the combo.

Check out SEMA over the last few years and you'll see various Delphi/GM trucks that displayed the D-Max/Allison/QS combo.

·
Registered
2005 GMC Yukon XL with Quadrasteer. LBZ conversion by Duraburb
284 Posts
The U-joints are the limiting factor on the QS rear end. The Dana 60 center section and 35-spline axles can handle all you throw at it (within reason). Towing limits are kept to factory minimums, depending on 4x2/4x4/ rear ratio combination.

Delphi developed an shorter length axle that would fit within the standard bed profile, just never had a chance to bring it to market. The good thing about the wider axle is increased stability brought about by the wider stance. Delphi also has numerous Duramax/Allison development mules and had quite a track record to the durability of the combo.

Check out SEMA over the last few years and you'll see various Delphi/GM trucks that displayed the D-Max/Allison/QS combo.
Actually, I'd like to amend my last post on this topic...

It's not so much the U-joints, but the fact that the stock axle is undersized. The current ring gear is 9-3/4" compared to the stock Duramax/Allison American Axle.

From what I understand, towing limits are due to heat that is generated due to excessive weight behind the axle. Limitations are largely due to current bearings and “undersized axle”. The stock Quadrasteer axle comes in a choice of two ratios, the 3.73 and 4.10. Excessive heat will burn the fluid. Hot and high climates will add to the heat condition (for example towing heavy in Arizona or in the summer in the mountains). I believe the current towing limits are a bit on the conservative side of things, and provided towing in cooler climates, could approach 10,000 lbs. trailer weight on occasion. I figure a larger ring gear could help fix the problem.

-P.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The reason the track width cannot be narrowed has to due with tire clearance. The Quadrasteer's track width is wider so the tires do not hit the frame when turning. A narrower axle will not work without a complete frame rework.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts