Diesel Place banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to figure out an argument in case a state inspecter gets on me for removing it...

·
Registered
877 Posts
94 was the first year.
92-93 didn't, thats why retailers that sell exhaust kits can sell you a kit that doesn't already have provisions for the Cat, so you could like forget to re-install it...

·
Registered
271 Posts
catalytic

If you plan to not install the cat better make sure you do provision if your state does inspections. No one will pass you unless the cat is in the system if the truck was originally sold with one.

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
94 was the first year for the 6.5, but the engines that were supposed to be in the 99's(but never made it) were supposed to not have one. And I believe the first D-maxs didn't have it either.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Removed mine, no problems with the inspection. Maybe I was lucky? I don't know find out in next year. However it's best to keep it just in case you need to put it back on.

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
Funny thing is they check to see if it's there, not if it's working.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
More than one guttless wonder in cat world,

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I dread the day my area requires emissions.....-:t

Its only a matter of time..................................

·
Registered
356 Posts
It's odd that not all "heavy duty", over 8600#GVW got these "cats". Most of the trucks at work have them but not all. The emission label under the hood will give it away.

Another way to beat the smoke test is to make the truck unsafe to run on the dyno. If you have something heavy bolted onto the truck or over hanging it won't or shouldn't go on. In my area I can ask for a two speed idle test. If you have a smoker it has a much better chance of passing in park instead of under a load on the dyno. It really has to be smoking pretty bad to fail

·
Registered
271 Posts
no cat is a good cat

My plans exactly, gut the cat and make em think one is there. Actually, my dads plan is to use the old 3.5 inch exhaust system of his truck. It has a resonator that looks like a cat, but isn't and is a half inch bigger than the system on my truck.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fortunately we don't have a sniffer test in this part of VA. It's simply a visual inspection. I have thought of gutting it and welding the shell over the new 4" pipe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts