Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hola all...

I'm considering a set of EVO Velociti 8 wheels in an 18"x8.5" size and have been having a tough time decide on what tires to get. I use the truck mostly as a "car" (ok, ok laugh if you want) but I plan on using the original rims with stock or snow tires for winter...

The question becomes is it a huge deal to NOT get an "E" load range tire? The tires I'm considering are the Michelin Pilot LTX tires in a 275/65/18 size... they are like 32.1" tall... Would I need to trim anything for these to fit?

They have a weight rating of like 2600lbs/tire vs. the stock 3042lbs...

They are a 35psi tire also... would they work well or suck?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+LTX

(ok the real reason is those tires are on sale for like under $100 each) whereas the 285/60/18's are like $200 each. the 285's are rated for over 3000lbs per tire.

comments? anyone driven on "passenger" tires on a 2500HD?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Stefan;

I am not sure how the stock weight of the truck would be on those. Mine weighs about 7840# with my normal minimum load. My front end alone is 4520. Granted I have the crew cab, long bed dually. I don't know what your truck or weight is but the fronts would be getting close. You would not be able to load anything close the the truck's capacity. That would be my concern as I use that capacity between Scouts and my fifth wheel.

I also do not know how those P rated tires would respond to the weight when cornering. Those will have much less stiff sidewalls, especially as they are 75 profile and not really a "low" profile.

Good Luck, Zeke

·
Registered
94 Posts
Newguy,

if you haven't already purchased the wheels, be sure to check the other thread I started "hot deal on Weld Velociti 8's" I almost bought the wheels for twice what I wound up paying.

I have 285/60/18's pirelli's 0n a 2500 suburban. The tires ride and handle way better than the E rated stuff, but as others have said, you won't be able to handle the higher capacities. As I understand it, the E rate tires have much better lateral sidewall stability than the passenger stuff for our heavy trucks.

Steve

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right on about the sidewalls, and that was one of my concerns, is when I'm cornering will the tire just fold over and *poof* i'm in trouble?? Or is the reinforced sidewalls only for the weight capacity of the tire??

So to put it simply, will I be able to corner well and have a decent weight capacity if I do that? I know I will be giving up like 800lbs per axle of capacity with the diff. tires, but other than not filling the thing up with all that weight is there ANY other concerns with doing that?

The whole 10ply thing versus the 4 or 6 ply??

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
10ply is an E rated tire, 8ply is D rated, 6 ply is C rated, I wouldnt reccomend putting P rated tires on a truck like ours, I work at a tire store and put P245/75R16 on a Duramax one day, thats what they wanted. The front tires bulged pretty bad because the tires max psi is only 35psi. It is up to you though, one other thing, if you have problems with the tire they arent going to warranty anything because of putting a P rated tire on a truck that is supposed to have LT tires.

·
Registered
94 Posts
While I had no hesitation doing it with my Sub, I wouldn't do it with my 2500HD. Its just too heavy.

Steve

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmmmmmmmm, well - White Duramax - what would you suggest?

I want an 18" tire that is a nice ride and will hold the weight...

from my simple math, the tires I was looking at are rated for 2601lbs each, and the front GVW is like 4600lbs - so that's 2300 per tire. The rear is like 6084, that's 3042 per tire, but I don't plan to load the back up that heavy.

Is it just the weight rating that I need to be concerned with or are there other factors that play into getting the right tire??

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hey Newguy

I wanted to do 18's also. Toyo and Nitto both make a 285/65/18 that looks great on these trucks. It is weight rated to 3086lbs, but is only a 4 ply tire. I use my truck to pull a 31 foot Toyhauler and was concerned about the ply's. When I e-mailed Toyo I asked the same question as you. What is more important??? Rated weight or number of ply's. The response I got was these tires would not be correct for my truck. Qoute: " I would love to sell them too you but this would be considered a missapplication. Sidewall strength and how the truck would handle could be a safety factor."

With that I am still looking at my ugly Firestones. HELP!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
arrrrrrrg!!! I really really really want to get some hard & fast info on the tire thing for my new truck... I don't want to spend $2K or better only to find out they won't work.

maybe I'll just have to call Michelin and see if they have any answers...

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
MOTHEAD wrote:With that I am still looking at my ugly Firestones. HELP!

Don't you mean you are still looking at your ugly Flipsoons??

Sorry, just had to post that after reading the recall on Firestone steeltex load D's.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
211 Posts
Newguy,

I'd spring for the Nittos or Toyos. (Toyo makes the Nitto) I think the actual size is 285/60- R18. Rated @ 3086lbs. 31.4 inches. Since the Velociti has a bit over 5"s of backspacing, I don't think you will have a problem with clearance. I think discounttiredirect has them for about $180

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I have one and your not going to like it. But when you put a P rated tire on a truck your supposed to reduce the carrying capacity by 10%. In other words, If the sidewall says 2600lbs. On truck applications it's only rated to 2340lbs. i don't know why.
I'm also curious why no one (manufacture/dealer) has told you this.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Don't some of the dodge pick-ups come from the factory with 18" rims and tire's?

What are they using for a LT tire?

Just a thought

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dodge has 17's and 20's but the 20's are only on the light light duty trucks...

So if I got a "P" tire that was good for 3086 lbs, and de-rated it 10% that;s 2777lbs... sounds reasonable to me??

Both the michelin and Yokohama tires I listed have the 3086lbs rating, but they are both a "P" tire. It seems like noone I talk to really has a good answer on what I can use for tires...

So I really appreciate any input you'all are giving...

·
Registered
713 Posts
You are driving a TRUCK. You should buy TRUCK Tires for that TRUCK. If you like the price of car tires, buy a car. Putting car tires on a 2500 HD Duramax is ridiculous. You are jeopardizing your safety, and any one follish enough to ride with you.

Check with your insurance company, ask them about your coverage, or sudden lack of coverqge, in the event of an accident due to the failure of non conforming tires

·
Registered
12,036 Posts

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Keep in mind that "soft" tires don't last as long. Tires with high pressure and stiff plies last a lot longer and get better fuel economy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts