Diesel Place banner

Which tuner do you use on a daily basis?

• Edge/ATT/EZ

Votes: 532 42.1%
  • Hypertech/Hyperpac

Votes: 149 11.8%
  • Predator

Votes: 234 18.5%
  • Bully Dog

Votes: 120 9.5%
  • PPE

Votes: 60 4.7%
  • VA

Votes: 20 1.6%
  • TTS

Votes: 14 1.1%
  • Banks

Votes: 136 10.8%
101 - 117 of 117 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
I am new to this group so please excuse my lack of knowledge about tuners. I had a 2002 duramax which I loved dearly,unfortunately I totaled it last week. I have found a nice replacement but I am worried about the tuner that is in it. It is a bulldog, but my concern is for the longevity of the engine and trans, and wheather or not it is truly undetectable by the dealers for warrenty work. The replacement truck is a 2005 with about 20k on it. The guy said it has only been on the truck for about 5k due to engine break-in. I am not a extremely mechanical person and would appreciate someone elses opinion beside the guy who is trying to sell the truck to me.

danie

· Registered
1 Posts
Sorry for the newb question but here it is anyways...

Looking for a tuner to help improve MPG both empty and while towing (everything from snowmobiles to a skid-steer loader). The three I've been looking at are the Banks six-gun or the ottoMind6, the edge juice w/attitude, and bullydog (no specific one but we sell them at work so figured I'd keep them in the conversation). If anyone has any tips they could give me I'd really appreciate it!

edit:
Should have done more looking before post, saw the comparison sticky, this site is great!

· Registered
78 Posts
Edge on 5 all the time, hand calc 18.4 city/hwy combined. abnormally bulky right foot too.

· Registered
1,681 Posts
I was getting 16+ stock around town & 21 on the Hwy at 70mph. Added E/A on 2 (economy) & banks exhaust and now I cant't do better 13 or so. WTF?? :eek:

· Registered
16 Posts
2004.5 LLY, AirRaid Intake, 4" Gibson Turbo back, EGR Blocker, Predator set on 65hp, stock 245 tires.....

Hand Calculated

* To and from work 12 miles, 1/2 flat, a couple of big hills, and 3-5 miles in town get between 16.5-17.5 mpg depending on temperature.

* Longer trips if I can keep the cruise set at 70-75 I can pull down a best of 21.3mpg (I can routinely pull down 20-20.5 getting a little agressive with passing cars)

I just installed Kumho 285's and waiting to do the next trip calculation. I checked the speedo versus the GPS and found that it is off by 7% (I can't get the Predator tire size to set correct for 285's...everytime I set the tire size the speedo reads 65-75 when GPS states 45mph???

Back to the 285 tires...My first guess is that with the bigger tires my in town mileage will drop and I may squeak out a little increase on the highway.

Later...

· Registered
222 Posts
RoguetotheMAX;1174327; said:
I run the E/A on 3/2 all the TIme, and get about 17 mpg highway (70-72 MPH) and 14-15 Mpg City -:t(hand Calculated and compensated for Tires).
how do you hand calculate everything??

· Registered
366 Posts
Well the predator seems to get the most mileage but what are the guage setups are you guys useing. I know the edge with attitude comes with a nice billet console filler but is there one for a guage setup for the predator because i will need some guages for egt's and probably the boost too correct? Well so far my decision is almost edge ahead the predator but the predator looks like to be a lil better for but more of an install with the extra guages i don't knoiw please help?

· Registered
1,681 Posts
The Edge does not come w/the billet console filler; that is optional and made by an sftermarket company. I dopn't think any of them offer any appreciable mpg increase...

Reactions: novalondon

· Registered
366 Posts
Yeah thats right i knew that i guess but what should I do for the predator as far as guages for what you guys have done or seen.? I really am undecided on which one to get and yeah the edge is easy to install but the predator has more user plusses like the dtc's and stuff, but if I go with that I have to drill and tap for the boost and not suree if its easy or not I am ready for the manifold on either install but what should I do and where should I look to see guage pods for over head I dound them but now can't remember where lol.

· Registered
267 Posts
LLY with the Predator 65HP tune netted me about a 2-3 MPG increase in town but I was running real low to start. I am getting 15-17 in town. Need to check highway now that I have added a 4" aftermarket exhaust. (don't expect a change).

All hand calculated as the DIC is whacked with the tune in place.

Steve

· Registered
366 Posts
KC steve cool. what kind of guage set up you useing? I don't want something that sticks out and gawdy ya know, How many turns does it take to lift the 1.5" on the torsion bars, I need to do this but will it lose handling towing or don't notice. I think I wanna go woth the predator but the guage thing is killing me. [email protected] with a pic of guages if you could.

· Registered
267 Posts
Kramer5,

I answered gauge question in PM's. Regarding T-bars, I'd have to check my notes but am thinging it was 6-7 turns. no loss of handling or ride differnece but did need an alignment.

Steve

· Registered
366 Posts
Thanks steve for all the info. Wow you are brave for not haveing guages with a tuner setup lol. My luck I would overheat everything.

101 - 117 of 117 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.