Diesel Place banner

Which tuner do you use on a daily basis?

• Edge/ATT/EZ

Votes: 532 42.1%
  • Hypertech/Hyperpac

Votes: 149 11.8%
  • Predator

Votes: 234 18.5%
  • Bully Dog

Votes: 120 9.5%
  • PPE

Votes: 60 4.7%
  • VA

Votes: 20 1.6%
  • TTS

Votes: 14 1.1%
  • Banks

Votes: 136 10.8%
21 - 40 of 117 Posts

· Registered
277 Posts
Is Banks considered a tuner, or is it just not represented well on DP?

· Registered
5,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·

· Registered
1,944 Posts
Lately more like gallons per mile....I dont know what it is.....I never gave a rats ass about fuel mileage. Now driving 150 miles round trip 4 times a week, I care. Normal fillup is 20-21 gallons. Trip odo reset at every fillup usually at 350 miles to tank....Usually. Hand calculated comes out to 17 mpg and some change. I drove down to North Carolina a month ago with a mattress in the bed with the tail gate down and made it 500 miles and then squeezed in 22 gallons. My trip to work is 98% highway with cruise set at 73. DOES THE TAILGATE MAKE THAT MUCH DIFFERENCE??????
According to a recent report I read somewhere.......NO, it does not.

· Registered
54 Posts
Predator on 65 most all the time except when towing heavy. Average 18+ at 75 mph, 15+ mixed highway and city hand calc.

· Registered
635 Posts
Edge EZ

Level 2, 16.3 mpg town , 19.8 hi way 65 mph / Level 1 tow'n avg 8000# 11-13 mpg depending on terrain and wind ! Just did a cold air intake and haven't towed yet, expecting better in this dept.

· Registered
89 Posts
Conrad, as far as Pred on 40 or 65, I haven't noticed any difference in mileage. I gained about 11% with both but I see about 12% gain with Pred on 85. Haven't tried 100 yet. It'll have to wait until Spring, expecting 10cm of snow today.

· Registered
1,050 Posts
Is it me or does it just seem that the Predator seems to get better fuel mileage than the edge ez or juice. I run my ez on level 1 and I average around 14.5 in the city and almost all of this is stop and go traffic. On the highway going around a little above 80 I'm getting around 16.8 and maybe 17. My truck only has exhaust and edge ez and 7,000 miles. Hopefully my mpg will increase as I add on more miles.

· Registered
5,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Is it me or does it just seem that the Predator seems to get better fuel mileage than the edge ez or juice. I run my ez on level 1 and I average around 14.5 in the city and almost all of this is stop and go traffic. On the highway going around a little above 80 I'm getting around 16.8 and maybe 17. My truck only has exhaust and edge ez and 7,000 miles. Hopefully my mpg will increase as I add on more miles.
I was actually noticing that myself after all the replies. I ran level 1 for a long time and could only get 12.5, but when I switched to level 3 for daily driving it went up to 14. I have yet to get past 14. I'd love to get 17.

· Registered
59 Posts
My last trip to Tallahassee from Ft. Lauderdale was the best mileage I have seen so far with the truck since I had it for 14 months. Since the weather cooled and did not use the AC, hand calculated 19.4 mpg averaging 80 mph on turnpike. Around town it was 17.5:) Truck had 29,000+ at the time. This was with the Pred on 40.
:cool2:

· Registered
22 Posts
Hi there im new here i wanted to ask u can or cant stack the ppe programmer and the edge a2 monitor because i need a way to watch my egts, boost, and all that other stuff

· Registered
338 Posts
Sorry to ask this question again but can anyone confirm this. It seems that people with the predator tuner are getting better fuel mileage. Thanks
I get (hand calculated) about 1mpg better with my Predator tune installed.

But you have to watch out for some people's numbers, as they sometimes forget to adjust for tire size.

And never ever read the DIC with the pretador installed.

· Registered
2 Posts
I recently purchased a Super Chips programmer and have noticed that my RPM's a little bit lower, and the DIC is giving mileage values of 23. I realize that may not be totally accurate, but it's a move in a good direction from the DIC readouts of 17-18 prior to installing the Super Chips tune.

2004.5 LLY 16000 miles.

· Registered
89 Posts
You can't rely on the DIC for mileage because the chips & tuners throw out the computers calculation from what I've heard on here. To get an accurate mpg, you need to hand calculate but I've noticed a 10-12% gain in mileage with my Predator tuner which is about 1-2 mpg hand calculated. I usually see about 21 mpg on the highway and 17.5 - 18.5 mpg city (always hand calculated).

· Registered
40 Posts
I drive 180 miles a day on level 1/5. My average speed is 69MPH, but I lock the CC at 85 when traffic permits, which is most of my trip to work (and I still get passed). My MPG is 17.2 hand calc. By the way this is the same MPG I was getting before I put in the BS and was running on 1/2 all the time. I notice a couple of things also. When I drive below 70MPH, my average MPG goes up to 20+. The DIC is almost always dead on as long as I do not romp on the throttle all the time (when the truck is smoking, the MPG is a droppin).
I would love to get my MPG up to 18+ while traveling at 80+MPH sometime. I used to keep the CC set on 75 and get 18.5, but I got tired of getting passed when I was in the slow lane so....

· Registered
89 Posts
If you do that much travelling daily, maybe going to a larger tire would bring up the mileage on the highway. What size do you have now? But of course no guarantee a larger tire would help because it does take more power to turn them. I have the stock tires now but my next set will be either 265's or 285's. I'd like to test them first before I bought but who lends out tires & rims for tests.
The only other thing that would help, would be to get the 6 spd allison.

· Registered
1,050 Posts
I drive 180 miles a day on level 1/5. My average speed is 69MPH, but I lock the CC at 85 when traffic permits, which is most of my trip to work (and I still get passed). My MPG is 17.2 hand calc. By the way this is the same MPG I was getting before I put in the BS and was running on 1/2 all the time. I notice a couple of things also. When I drive below 70MPH, my average MPG goes up to 20+. The DIC is almost always dead on as long as I do not romp on the throttle all the time (when the truck is smoking, the MPG is a droppin).
I would love to get my MPG up to 18+ while traveling at 80+MPH sometime. I used to keep the CC set on 75 and get 18.5, but I got tired of getting passed when I was in the slow lane so....
Wow thats pretty good I get like 16.8 going slightly above 80 with my truk and the edge ez on level 1.

· Registered
40 Posts
I only wish I had waited for the 06 to come out. Maybe there will be an aftermarket upgrade to get our 5spds to be 6spds. In the mean time, I will settle for upgrading my tires to 265's or 285's. Not sure myself what size I will go with. The upsize is for both looks and for the small increase in mileage. I am still running the stock 245's right now and am waiting for them to wear down. I want my moneys worth out of them especialy since the next set will not be cheap. I currently have 20,300 miles on them and it looks like I will get another 10k to 15k out of them before they wear out. I guess I have a couple of months before I decide what size I want to put on.

21 - 40 of 117 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.