Diesel Place banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a tuner. not sure what to get . I need to be able to check my injectors (151,000 on stock) mess with the speedo/tire sizes and I want the safety stuff that will not let me kill my trani as well as engine saferty with EGT. I am going to get real gauges. Would like some kind of monitor for all the other sensors and things. I am not looking to add much power at this time. mostly for pulling boat (3,500 lbs) and hopfully a small camper and add some mpg. Later when I have the $$ to upgrade the trani I wouldn't mind putting the power to it and see what it will do. I do plan on doing a simple upgrade on the trani (shift kit) soon.

Kris

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
Hypertech, Superchips, yield great mileage with good driveability. Diablo Predator is a bit hotter of a tuner but also lets you check your balance rates as well as monitor your real time data as far as exactly what you're engine is doing. Running any of these on high settings can certainly destroy any stock tranny, over time, especially the Predator.

I personally ran Hypertech for several years on level 3 which is around 85 h.p. on my 04.5 LLY. I also towed quite a bit with it without excessive EGT's. Hypertech is pretty much your cheapest, safest tuner out there. The predator is the best bang for your buck if you're looking for a mix between mileage, performance, and real time data. Superchips is the best overall for mileage.

Hope that helpes.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unit453,

Thanks for the info. I have been looking at the programmer comparison list on the sticky. does the Hypertech or Superchips check balance rates? If not could I maybe stack one of the with the Predator to allso get the trani and EGT safety? They all have things I like but not all the things I want.

Does anybody know of any of the new versions that are sapose to be coming out that will do all these things?

Kris

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
dcrzfitter;1546349; said:
Unit453,

Thanks for the info. I have been looking at the programmer comparison list on the sticky. does the Hypertech or Superchips check balance rates? If not could I maybe stack one of the with the Predator to allso get the trani and EGT safety? They all have things I like but not all the things I want.

Does anybody know of any of the new versions that are sapose to be coming out that will do all these things?

Kris
hypertech and superchips do not check balance rates. the only way you can "stack" the two is to use one for power IE:superchips then use the predator to ONLY read balance rates. you CANT use both for power.

use the superchips to add 85 hp set tire sizes etc....then use the predator for real time diagnostics. or you could just get the predator and have it all:)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Go with the predator from diablo sport, no complaints here thats for sure! You will be addicted to power very soon! It checks balance rates, changes tire sizes, and all kinds of crazy sh*t. Just my $.02

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like I'm going to be looking for a Diablo Predator. I really wish they had some trani protection but I will just have to hold it down to the lower settings to be safe untill I can get enough $$ scraped up to do the trani right.

whats about buying a used Predator? good or bad idea?
anybody got one they might sell? Allso looking for a MBRP exaust. 4" or 5" might even lose the big can in the middle of it.

Kris

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
You gotta remember 1 thing....

Tranny protection is designed to prevent you from frying your tranny with too much power. It tends to retard things and back down the power substantially when slippage HAS occured. It is not "fail safe". They do their job but the damage was done....Period....

You could probably find a used predator here in the market place. Take a gander through there.

Or....

Thouroughbred Diesel, a vendor here, has them for around $320 shipped. Thats CHEAP in case you were wondering.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Banks has the protection your looking for.... Love mine, but still belong to the 'limpin' club.... dont let her shift between 4-5 without tranny upgrades.:cool: shoulda listened:mad:

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
astieg;1551162; said:
Banks has the protection your looking for.... Love mine, but still belong to the 'limpin' club.... dont let her shift between 4-5 without tranny upgrades.:cool: shoulda listened:mad:
nope.... as stated, they detect slip which means it has already slipped. even with the protection its doing damage

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've happy with the Predator. I keep it at 40 or 65hp settings. I have never limped, even pulling my 12K# 5th wheel (40hp). The programmer locks onto your VIN so if you get one used you might have to send it back to get 'unlocked'. I think they charge $70 (new one looking better?). Anyway good luck....

·
Registered
47 Posts
BlueDMax;1554291; said:
I've happy with the Predator. I keep it at 40 or 65hp settings. I have never limped, even pulling my 12K# 5th wheel (40hp). The programmer locks onto your VIN so if you get one used you might have to send it back to get 'unlocked'. I think they charge $70 (new one looking better?). Anyway good luck....
I love my Predator. I keep it at 65hp and have never limped. Pulling round bales of hay weighing in at about 9600lb today with no problems. I wasn't real hard on it though.:)

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
When I use to run only my predator on 65 setting I pulled our skid loader at 75 mph. Never limped the tranny with the pred or with what I have to date yet. Only thing with the pred is egt's. I only have a straight through muffler but could easily hit 1300-1400 pulling the loader up a long hill. Just watch egt's and the pred will be the best choice for an all around tuner.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
BullydogPowered;1551773; said:
nope.... as stated, they detect slip which means it has already slipped. even with the protection its doing damage
This is true,its the % of slip that needs to be measured,in-realities all Automatics slip,So its HOW much that counts,Example one that slips one thousand will live 10 times longer than one that slips Ten thousand,factor in glazing and its not long before the problem shows its ugly head.Yes it is beneficial to have a device that measure it,although do to the complexities of most transmissions today its difficult to get accurate percentage regularly.So set your slip % conservative.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a new Predator on it's way!!! can't wait to get it in and see what it will do. I will be keaping it on the 2 lower tunes. probably only on the lowest untill I get some good gauges installed.

Does anybody know where I can get some nice pillar mnt. gauges at a good price. What are some good brands? Ithink I will just get the boost and EGT can't think of anything els that I need. Time to save some $$$ for the 4" MBRP off road exhaust and the trani so I can run that 120 hp program.

Kris

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Understood.......:eek:: SC IV soon then.......

·
Registered
834 Posts
Banks work well for me. I loved my truck before the tuner, but now I love it even more with the extra power and torque.
:)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Kziggy,

I allready picked one up and should be getting it anyday. That is actually about what I payed for mine.

Kris

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.