Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I recently moved into a HR 37 foot 5th wheel w 4 slides. We are retireing in a couple of months and will full time. I don't have a tow rig yet. I've owned desiels befor so not a total novice, but they've changed alot from 15 years ago.

Ater reading this and RV.Net forums, I think if I go with a 1 ton, I'll get a GMC with Duramax and Allison 6 speed. Probably in an extracab with SLE for comfort. We're hopeing to spend alot of time (years) doing this.

One train of thought that seems to pop up on the forums is to get a 45 or 5500. Preferably with air ride chasis etc.

My 5th wheel has a dry weight of about 12,300 and GVW of 16,900.

The dealers around here act like I'm speaking Greek if I ask questions regarding safety, stopping capacity, gear ratio, longevity etc.

I've seen alot of 1 tons out on the road pulling 5th wheels, don't know if they are as heavy as the one I'll be pulling. Should I have the bigger rig? Is the 3500 enough? If I get it, do I need air brakes, a air ride 5th wheel conection?

Any help would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Hi dwolf. :welcome:

If you do a search, I think you will find 3500s and some 2500s pulling that weight. I'm no expert, so hopefully someone else will chime in, but I think the 3500 would do the job.

If nothing else, consider this a ...

*bump* of the thread.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Pulling weight

Hey i dont know if this will help you any but i have a regular cab 04(LB7)3500(*$20 decals changed it from 2500to3500 amazing what money can do)and a 6-speed i pulled a 30ft trailer weighing 9200lbs empty almost everyday last year. I've pulled cross the scales at the local truckstop weighing in @50,000lbs i run airlift air bags which are a must in my book pulling any trailer the are so helpful. I know a 3/4 or 1ton will do the job but if money is not an option a i would suggest gettin a 3500for the price but it would love great hooked on to a 4500 or 5500 your choice.:grd:

·
Registered
174 Posts
hi, i pull a 3712 raptor 5er, loaded wieght over 15,500#, used to pull with 04 f-350 srw, truck would squat heavily and wallow on rough road surfaces, bought 06 3500 chevy drw dmax and it handles the wieght easily and is very comfortable both on and of highway, i would not want to blow a rear tire on a srw with 16,000# or more behind me. be careful when purchasing 4500 or 5500, or f-650 or frieghtliner medium duty as the torque rating on most of these trucks are in the 520 ft/lbs area with very low rear ends i/e 4:88 range which makes top speed about 70 mph range at max rpm, no fun in cab listening to diesel at redline during whole trip. been there it is no fun. be careful and order bigger engine and less rear gear if buying bigger than 3500. also anything over 3500 will most likely be at least 100k, looked at international dt466 c/c to pull with at rv show, show price 99,900 plus tax and fees.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks gentlemen!

I just needed some reassurance, I wouldn't be crazy to tow with a 1 ton.

The braking power is apparently the biggest concern.

I didn't want to drive something like a 4500 around when I disconnected!

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
:welcome:
Good to have you in the brother (and sister)hood. When you get your rig, create a signature showing your truck options and modifications so users can help you easier. And we will all want to see your ride so feel free to create your "Garage" and post some pics.

·
Registered
51 Posts
the 2500 or 3500 will tow it fine, we have them at the dealer I work at all the time towing up to 37' 5th wheels with no problem

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK! So I'm going to buy a 1 ton dually.
The strongest one seems to be the GMC or Chevy with the Duramax LBZ 360 HP and Allison 1000, 6 speed. Is that correct, or am I missing something?
If that's correct, where do I get one (preferably at whatever equates to reasonable, some places don't discount at all, some seem to go 10,000 below MSRP). I've done all sorts of searches, nationwide, for a 3500 SLT or LT3, preferably extracab, but also crewcab 4X4 LB dually. There doesn't seem to be much out there.
Is it because GM is coming out with a new body style for 2007 or what? Does anyone know, can I order a 2007 now, if so, any idea how long it would take to get one? I'm retireing in 2 months and would like to hit the road.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Order an '06 ... you'll be happier and not have to deal with the added emissions and the extra $1500 - $2500 price tag of the Duramax. That's over and above the '06 price.

·
Registered
174 Posts
when i went looking for dmax searched gm buypower.com until i found one that was available, every truck that i requested a qoute on was already sold, did not want to wait for ordered truck to arrive, had to move a ford quick before it broke again. nearly every person on this site has ordered and waited for truck to be delivered all seem very happy either way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts