Diesel Place banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm a bit of a diesel newb and doing tons of work on my old '82 c10 6.2. I'm finally at the ned of my list after replacing that very conveniently positioned secondary filter while replacing what I thought was a leaky valve cover gasket. I read a lot about leaky oil lines on the 6.5s but they seem to have totally different lines. Mine is leaking right at the motor, so I'm guessing the fittings are leaking, or have have some messed up threads somewhere. I noticed a kit that autozone sells for $37 to replace these lines, but I have a flare tool and I didn't see the first 2 fittings in the kit, and they are the ones I am worried about.
Anyway, just wondering if anyone knows what thread the first brass fittings are and what thread the tubing uses. thanks
Danny

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
3/8" NPT should fit into the holes that are in the block.

What kit are you referring to? Does it include the fittings for the side tank of the radiator?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK guys, I figured it out, it wasn't leaking out the side of the motor, it was the lines themselves. since they are woven, it was impossible to se that they were brittls and full of cracks, the oil just ran down to the source.
I went to my local aeroquip dealer and picked up this really nice high quality hose that was good to 250psi and 300* and resistant to everything. $5/ft and exactly 5 feet covers both lines and 1/2" dia.
the 6.2 had some really cool fittings, they are a cone compression type fitting and reuseable.
with 2 30" lengths (I had to use a cutting wheel to cut this stuff from the HD steel reenforcement) I installed the fittings. Make sure the hose doesn't slip out of the collar while you are doing this.
I put everything back together, fired her up and NO LEAKS!!
here is a quick pic that I snapped

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
The problem is that I don't have any of the oil cooler fittings, hoses or lines because previous owners completely removed them. I'm still looking for something that would fit for the fittings of the side tanks, but nothing seems to fit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the kit from autozone was for the lines from the motor to the hoses.
When I was at nevada hose he wanted to make me some custom crimped lines with the 1/2" flare fittings that fit into the fittings on the motor and a female 1/2" flare extention to connect to the cooler. then a full rubber hose for the middle. it was going to cost $40 for each line, so $80 total and it would have been really trick, but I was on a budget and still had the hard lines.
the peices that go into the motor are a tapered thread with a 1/2" female flare fitting. if you can find those, the rest should be easy. Lucky for me in Vegas there are a lot of hydaulic supply shops.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
the peices that go into the motor are a tapered thread with a 1/2" female flare fitting.
You mean the fittings that go into the radiator? The ones that fit into the block are 3/8" NPT.

What is tapered thread? I tried a 1/2" barb fitting that has a cone shaped end on the thread side. It seems to sort of fit, but it doesn't go in very far, and I think it would just leak. I'm guessing it's a type of fitting you are supposed to use a rubber gasket with. However, I'd need a fitting that makes a 90 degree angle so I can have it point downwards ...

·
Registered
332 Posts
NPT=National TAPERED Thread

The ones with an o-ring are ORB=O-Ring Boss (probably wont find them on a 6.2) They are not tapered as they seal at the O-ring, and they are an AN=Airforce and Navy (who developed them) thread.

JIC=Joint Industries Council fittings have a 37 degree taper, and a metal to metal seal. Some also have a 45 degree taper, and they are not interchangeable with the 37 degree fitting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts