Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm drivin down a high way and I loose all power. The truck is still running but sounds like sh*t. When I lost power it was like it shut down and tried to take off again but had no power. The check engine light came on but i havent had a chance to get the codes yet. Some people are sayin turbo. Any Ideas?

·
Off we go!.......
8,772 Posts
Time to Ice Pick the injector connectors maybe?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Sure would be nice to know the codes that flipped the CEL on. Get them read, write them down and post. "sounds like sh*t"??? At full throttle or part throttle or at idle? Or all settings? Will it no load rev to 2000 RPM? Did the CEL lite up at the same time as the power fell off? Or was it suffering before the lite, and you drove it til the lite came on? Can you detect a particular cylinder missing, or is it running on only two or three or four? After a shut down and restart, will it run good for a while?
More info would help the wizards help you.

·
Ride, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
4,279 Posts
Gotta have codes to make an educated guess. Anything else is a shot in the dark.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
My bet is ice pick...not a whole lot else that would change the sound of the engine otherwise.

·
Administrator Mister, your truck's smoking...
11,398 Posts
Yeah, that or harness rub-through at the alternator bracket. This one can make the engine sound like it's a bag of hammers.

Undo the zip tie at the alternator bracket, inspect and repair any wires rubbed through, then insulate with electrical tape and a section of split 5/8" heater hose... and zip tie it back in place.

Good luck!

Oh... if you just lost power, you might also look for blown intercooler boots, a faulty EGR, or a bad or dirty MAF sensor. The MAF you can clean with MAF cleaner from your local auto shop - do not touch it. AutoZone and others will read the codes for you free - this will most likely point to the problem.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sure would be nice to know the codes that flipped the CEL on. Get them read, write them down and post. "sounds like sh*t"??? At full throttle or part throttle or at idle? Or all settings? Will it no load rev to 2000 RPM? Did the CEL lite up at the same time as the power fell off? Or was it suffering before the lite, and you drove it til the lite came on? Can you detect a particular cylinder missing, or is it running on only two or three or four? After a shut down and restart, will it run good for a while?
I had already been on the road for about 1000 miles and it ran great. the light came on at the same time as power failure and it runs the same at all settings. not sure what no load rev is. after a shut down and restart it still sounds the same. it stranded me 400 miles from home.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Did you blow off an intercooler boot? Either that or #2 #7 fix. Both are easy fixes. I carry an Icepick in the glove box.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The codes it shootin is P2146 fuel injector group A supply voltage circut open and P0207 injector circut malfunction #7

·
Registered
510 Posts
Ice pick both 2 and 7, in the DIY section there is a great write up with pics by ? sidewinder ? if I remember correctly. It takes a matter of 20 min. I had to do mine on the side of I 40 in the middle of a blizzard. Best to just do that fix in your garage before they break lol.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks to all the ice pick worked not sure what i would have done if this site didnt exist

·
Off we go!.......
8,772 Posts
Good to hear it fixed it :thumb:

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Glad to hear you got it fixed. :thumb:
Do you still have the P2146 code? Maybe a conflict with the open #7 circuit, but might want to check the harness over the alternator bracket. The injector harness drops over the bracket and down to the FICM below the alternator.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Glad to hear you got it fixed. :thumb:
Do you still have the P2146 code? Maybe a conflict with the open #7 circuit, but might want to check the harness over the alternator bracket. The injector harness drops over the bracket and down to the FICM below the alternator.
I cleared the codes and they haven't been back yet and it's runnin fine now

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I cleared the codes and they haven't been back yet and it's runnin fine now
Keep the icepick close to the spare fuel filter and your life on the road will be better. Mine has always required "picking" as far away from home as possible.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Keep the icepick close to the spare fuel filter and your life on the road will be better. Mine has always required "picking" as far away from home as possible.
is it always the same ones that need picked

·
Registered
991 Posts
I've read several posts about ice picking multiple times on the same truck. Keep an awl or ice pick in your truck.

It seems to me that Diesel Place is getting more threads with titles like "What The He**!!!".

This type of non-descriptive thread title does not allow members to have that thread included in searches like "ice + pick + #2 #7.

This makes finding desired information via search more difficult.

We should all title threads with descriptive words and we'll all have better results using the search function.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Glad you are up and running. GREAT POINT. I keep my ice pick in the glove box and the spare fuel filter under the back seat! Two MUST HAVES.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Ice pick both 2 and 7, in the DIY section there is a great write up with pics by ? sidewinder ? if I remember correctly. It takes a matter of 20 min. I had to do mine on the side of I 40 in the middle of a blizzard. Best to just do that fix in your garage before they break lol.
It’s “sideswiper” .

Reactions: heymccall
1 - 20 of 20 Posts