Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Have Only Had The Truck For Two Weeks. It Is 2001 With 80k Mi. Drove To Town Got A Paper Left It Running Came Out Go To Pull Out And White Smoking, Low Oil Pressure, And No Power Just Enough To Go 5 Mph. Pulled In A Driveway To Trun Around , And It Stalled Tried To Start And It Fired Right Up. Oil Pressure Is Fine Seems To Run Ok And No Smoke, But Service Engine Soon Light Is On. Drove To Dealer They Will Call When They Figure It Out. Injectors Have Not Been Replaced. Anybody Have An Idea Whats Going On With My Truck? Thanks

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
injectors , fuel filter, bad fuel , something fuel related

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Filter Was Changed Less Thn 500 Mi. Ago

·
Registered
368 Posts
I Have Only Had The Truck For Two Weeks. It Is 2001 With 80k Mi. Drove To Town Got A Paper Left It Running Came Out Go To Pull Out And White Smoking, Low Oil Pressure, And No Power Just Enough To Go 5 Mph. Pulled In A Driveway To Trun Around , And It Stalled Tried To Start And It Fired Right Up. Oil Pressure Is Fine Seems To Run Ok And No Smoke, But Service Engine Soon Light Is On. Drove To Dealer They Will Call When They Figure It Out. Injectors Have Not Been Replaced. Anybody Have An Idea Whats Going On With My Truck? Thanks
I would put my bets on injectors. Keep us updated.

·
Premium Member
20,558 Posts
yeah Id have to guess injectors...one is sticking open and filling your crankcase with diesel...I would NOT drive it until you figure out the problem...if the injector continues to fill the crankcase with diesel you will not get proper lubrication and could spina bearing.

Did you check the oil?

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Being a 2001, the injector is probably not stuck open but has a body crack that is passing fuel under the valve cover, into the oil pan and you are smelling it out the PCV. Depending on the severity of the leak, your oilpan may overfill with fuel and diluted oil and begin to "puke" out the PCV hose. Many 2001s have suffered this failure and oil dilution and have gone on many more miles with no apparent bearing damage after injector replacement.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If It Was An Injector Would Have It Sterted Right Back Up And Ran Ok? When It Started Back Up Oil Pressure Was Fine

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Low power, white smoke, low oil pressure are all "classic" injector symptoms, but "getting over it" is sure strange. I'd try the paper towel test on the oil - pull the dipstick and put a spot of oil on a clean white paper towel. If it "rings" (dark spot with outer ring of lighter color) after a while it could indicated fuel in the oil. Smell it for diesel at the same time. If there doesn't seem to be any fuel, could have been an electronics problem (often a weak or loose ground connection) in the injection system. Did it throw a "Check Engine" light? Would be worthwhile read the error codes.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea Service Engine Soon Light Came On. Truck Is At The Dealer Now. Funny Thing Is That The Dealersaid Well If It Is Injectors, And We Dont Have Any In Stock You Can Still Drive It. Thats Not Right Is It ?

·
Registered
90 Posts
No that is not the right thing to do. My injectors failed @ 103,000 miles. The indication was a strong smell of diesel when I parked the truck. The second indication was my oil smelled like diesel. I called the dealer, they sent a wrecker to my house, and changed all the injectors. All of this with no cost to me. Diesel is a light oil but it is not designed for lubrication. I would leave it parked until it was fixed. These trucks are not cheap!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
IS THERE A CHANCE IT COULD BE THE FPRV. IM JUST NOT SURE HOW GOOD OF A DIESEL MECH. MY DEALER HAS ? guess ill just have to wait to hear from them. ILL KEEP YOU POSTED.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well the dealer just called and said that it is the injectors,but the crazy thing is that the service mang. told me it would be ok to drive it until the injectors came in . then he said it would be at least 10 days till they would get them. he said they are a national back order. so i called another dealer close to me and they have 21 injectors in stock. cant my dealer get them from the dealer that has the. iam going NUTS

·
Registered
617 Posts
well the dealer just called and said that it is the injectors,but the crazy thing is that the service mang. told me it would be ok to drive it until the injectors came in . then he said it would be at least 10 days till they would get them. he said they are a national back order. so i called another dealer close to me and they have 21 injectors in stock. cant my dealer get them from the dealer that has the. iam going NUTS
That's probably a good thing your dealer does not have any in stock. That usually means they don't do many injector replacements. I would defanitly have the dealership with in-stock injectors do the surgery. It is a in-depth process and you want the most experienced mechanic working on your expensive truck. My truck has never ran better than after the injectors were replaced. That was about 20K miles ago.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts

Run, do not walk, RUN! to the other dealer.

jb

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well the dealer i origianly took my truck to has called the dealer that has the injectors, and they will give to my dealer. i called
the dealer that has the injectors this morning and they said they would be glad to do the job,and they have a truck center . when i told my dealer this they said they would not get paid for a portion of the work they had allready done. so i guess my dealer is doing it. what a mess!!!!! when they replace injectors do they replace the tubes or just clean them?

·
Registered
718 Posts
The only thing I caution you on is to make sure the "exess" injectors the other dealership had werent the "older" ones that would be prone to failing once again instead of the "newer" ones that would be on backorder. I could be totally wrong also....

·
Registered
617 Posts
well the dealer i origianly took my truck to has called the dealer that has the injectors, and they will give to my dealer. i called
the dealer that has the injectors this morning and they said they would be glad to do the job,and they have a truck center . when i told my dealer this they said they would not get paid for a portion of the work they had allready done. so i guess my dealer is doing it. what a mess!!!!! when they replace injectors do they replace the tubes or just clean them?
Depends on the condition of them. Usually the are reused.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Tubes don't get replaced, just the injectors. You definately want them to replace the fuel lines that run from the rail to the injector, I've had too many back that got crud down in the injector from the old line. I just replace lines now, I don't even try to clean the old ones.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Are The Fuel Lines That You Are Talking About Easy To Get, Or Are They Going To Tell Me That They Are On Backorder Too? Will They Know To Replace Them Or Should I Tell Them To. They Told Me The Tubes Were On Backorder I Wander If They Ment The Fuel Lines? Shouldnt They Know This Stuff Or Am I Just Beig Anal??

1 - 20 of 29 Posts