Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to see how long of a spring you guys used for success on building your own turbomaster? I have a 6 1/2 inch long spring that's about 1/2 inch across and I think it's made of .80 rod size. I was thinking about 4 or 5 inches but wanted to check with the ones that have failed and succeeded first.
Bob

·
Registered
397 Posts
The length doesnt matter, you want the hardest spring rate..... the wg arm only moves like 1/2" to 1"....... my spring was 4" i think and i cut it in half and doubled it....

·
Knows The 6.5
3,142 Posts
Scrufdog and I had a big convo about this last night. What works for him, is one spring inside the other, and he found the stiffest ones possiable, they look only 3-4" long.

The wastegate only needs to open a crack for you to lose boost pressure.
So as long as you find a spring that will open under 12- 14 psi or whatever you wish to run.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ended up leaving the spring about 4 inches long. On the end of the rod I took a 1/4 20 coupler nut and welded a piece I cut off of a 5/16 clevis pin to it to connect to the wastegate arm. I cut a bracket out of some flat steel I had. I bolted it all up and tokk it for a test drive and it was opening the wastegate at 9 lbs. of boost. I stopped and tightened it down a little so I could get a jam nut on to hold it where it was at, after that it opens at 11 lbs. of boost.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Looks good.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya know I didn't measure it before I bolted it up. I can try to measure it on the truck and post back.

·
Knows The 6.5
3,142 Posts
Nice job, everything work the way you want it to?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So far I'm surprised how well it worked, just went for a short ride. Will drive it to work today and see how it does. Started at 9 lbs. and adjusted to 11 easily.

·
Knows The 6.5
3,142 Posts
Have you thought about grinding off the threads of the rod where it slides through the bracket so it's smooth? Or it works and you're gonna leave well enough alone? :D

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually we were wondering if that was needed. Seemed to work smoothly today. I did make the hole through the plate kind of oblong before we bolted it up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts