Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Gone but not forgotten member
Joined
·
11,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of OE fog lights and need to know how large of a switch I need to run them. Went to NAPA and they had no idea how to find me a relay to work with them. Figure I'll just hook them up on a switch w/ a fuse and see if they hold unless someone can help me w/ some p/n' s.
TIA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,738 Posts
I would not try that. you should be able to find a relay almost anywhere.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,954 Posts
An H-3 lamp draws approx 6 amps X 2 = 12 amp.

I agree that use should use a relay to prevent higher current wiring from entering the interior.

Use a bosch style relay

High current
pin 30 = battery with 15 amp fuse
pin 85 = foglamps
Low current
pin 86 = ground
pin 87 = 12v source (ignition or I prefer park light +)

Using a relay near the lights also means you can use any on/off switch you like as the avg relay draws less than half an amp.
 

·
Commissioner Gordon
Joined
·
5,139 Posts
Go to another autoparts store and find a fog/driving light wiring kit. It'll come with wires, relay, connections, switch and instructions on how to do it. It's a little more complicated than just adding a switch, but worth it in the long run.
 

·
Gone but not forgotten member
Joined
·
11,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rttoys;1577573; said:
Go to another autoparts store and find a fog/driving light wiring kit. It'll come with wires, relay, connections, switch and instructions on how to do it. It's a little more complicated than just adding a switch, but worth it in the long run.
Can you get those and they not have lights in them ?
 

·
Gone but not forgotten member
Joined
·
11,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
heymccall;1576982; said:
An H-3 lamp draws approx 6 amps X 2 = 12 amp.

I agree that use should use a relay to prevent higher current wiring from entering the interior.

Use a bosch style relay

High current
pin 30 = battery with 15 amp fuse
pin 85 = foglamps
Low current
pin 86 = ground
pin 87 = 12v source (ignition or I prefer park light +)

Using a relay near the lights also means you can use any on/off switch you like as the avg relay draws less than half an amp.
Is the 12v source the switch ? Like when the park lamps are on the fogs will be too. If so that would be neat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
797 Posts
I added Bosch Fogs to my daily driver Astro and used a Bosch 30 amp relay (available almost everwhere) wired to come on off my regular headlights.

I also added Piaa lights same relay used, wired to come on off High beam lights.

You can buy the electrical stuff (relay, wiring,etc.) separate, without the lights.

ps. I also did the "all headlight on" mod and switched to Toshiba HIR's in the low's
 

Attachments

·
Commissioner Gordon
Joined
·
5,139 Posts
JD4440;1579066; said:
Can you get those and they not have lights in them ?
Ya, they sell a 'kit' just to wire in everything. Go somewhere like PepBoy's where they have a big selection of accessorieslike that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
JD4440;1576496; said:
I have a set of OE fog lights and need to know how large of a switch I need to run them. Went to NAPA and they had no idea how to find me a relay to work with them. Figure I'll just hook them up on a switch w/ a fuse and see if they hold unless someone can help me w/ some p/n' s.
TIA
isnt your truck already prewired for that? a friend of mine added some fogs to his 03 all he had to do was go by the dealer and they had to program something in the computer i think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,740 Posts
go to chevy dealer and get a factory fog light switch it goes in the dash and your truck is prewired from that to the under hood relay/fuse box on left front fender
 

·
Gone but not forgotten member
Joined
·
11,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dmax3500;1580899; said:
go to chevy dealer and get a factory fog light switch it goes in the dash and your truck is prewired from that to the under hood relay/fuse box on left front fender
It is in fact prewired that far. the problem is the absence of the harness from fuse box to lights , not so much the absence but the almost $200 price tag on the harness and switch. I've had the entire front end off the truck and no harness from the fuse box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
get the switch and run some wires from the relay to the lights, how much for the switch alone ? cant be that much,can it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,740 Posts
you can make the harness for 20.oo in wire,6.oo for the relay if its not in the fuse box yet,you'll need 8' of 1 color of wire and 3' of an other color,8' of some looming cover
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,738 Posts
give me a PM. I have a factory harness I will sell you.
 

·
Gone but not forgotten member
Joined
·
11,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
gearhead;1582083; said:
give me a PM. I have a factory harness I will sell you.
Wish I had been on here yesterday for that :mad: . I went to O'Reilly and found a Blazer fog light wiring kit for $12 and a switch exactly like what come in a Trippin' mount for $6 . Installed everything this morning and works good so far.
I do appreciate the offer Gearhead and appreciate all the help you guys have given me on this. Thank You !
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top