Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just moved to Minneapolis. Lately it's -20 to 0 in the morning and single digits to the teens in the day. When it's in the minus digits it takes a while for the transmission to heat up going down the road. I have the grill winter cover on and the block heater was plugged in all night.

I went to Kennedy's Web page and he has a few pan heater sizes 125, 250 and 500. What size should I get? I have the stock shallow pan.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Get the 512 (250 Watts)

The 125 Watt unit is not designed to heat the 10 quarts of oil in a Duramax, and the 500 Watt unit is physically too large to mount on the DMax's oil pan.

The stock engine heater in the DMax is a 1,000 Watt unit and heats the engine coolant. If you use both the 250-Watt oil pan heater plus the standard 1,000 watt heater, make sure you use a good extension cord on a dedicated circuit. 1,250 Watts of steady-draw power is near the maximum amperage on a standard 15-amp circuit.

I would also put these on a timer and set it to start warming the engine an hour or so before you leave in the morning. Burning through 1,250 Watts all night will get expensive. Make sure the timer is capable of handling the Wattage, too.

ON EDIT -
Ah... I see you're asking about using this on the TRANSMISSION, not the engine oil pan.
There is plenty of room to mount Model 1325 (500 watts) on the std Allison pan. It is 5" x 7", and less than 1/10" thick. This model is also rated for the fluid capacity of the Allison.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Excellent information!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts