Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing the O.E. Chevrolet roof rack from a Avalanche on my CC today. I'l take some pics of the install and post them up if anyone is interested.

I have to drill 12, 9mm holes in my roof (yikes!)

My question is this. They are calling for me to brush Anticorrosion Compound GM-4901 onto the edges of the newly drilled holes. I know this is to stop rust. Is there anything else, like something easier to get (lowes or autozone) that will work just as well?

Thanks for the advice

Scott

·
Registered
176 Posts
Not sure where you live...Do you have any boat dealerships where you are?? If so, get some 3M 4200 or 3M 5200 Fast cure. Forget that GM chit.

·
Registered
222 Posts
SCQTT;1584081; said:
I am installing the O.E. Chevrolet roof rack from a Avalanche on my CC today. I'l take some pics of the install and post them up if anyone is interested.

I have to drill 12, 9mm holes in my roof (yikes!)

My question is this. They are calling for me to brush Anticorrosion Compound GM-4901 onto the edges of the newly drilled holes. I know this is to stop rust. Is there anything else, like something easier to get (lowes or autozone) that will work just as well?

Thanks for the advice

Scott
Post pics of the install and required stuff Scott...I've been VERY interested about doing this for awhile now. Have been looking at Yakima but don't like the way the 'Q' clips attatch to the truck. good luck

·
Registered
222 Posts
I was moving some horses this morning to better pasture and the route took me by the local GMC dealership. There was a car hauler parked on the side of the road unloading some new trucks...one black CCLB in particular caught my eye as I went by because I woulda swore it had roof racks on it. Was I seeing things or is that an option available on the 07's?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pictures of the roofrack installed

Pictures of the Roof rack installed

Attachments

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
Looks good. What did you use for sealer in the end?

Amazing how many "options" from GM we can find for these trucks when we start looking....gotta love "mix and match"!

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
That came out looking good!

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
that looks sweet. Are they strong enought for use(say holding a spare tire) or mainly for looks?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used Mastinox to seal the edges of exposed metal. An aircraft mechanic friend gave it to me. (nasty stuff says it causes cancer right on the tube, I used rubber gloves) The supplied riv-nuts had a rubber seal on them for waterproofness.

All four bars are metal. The cross bars are very strong, I think the bow helps. I'm sure I could stand on them without a problem. The side rails are seriously locked in, It would take a lot to pull them off. You would basically have to tear the rivets out of the roof (6 on each side) The crossbars side onto the track from the rear before you install the caps so they also would be very hard to remove.

I was surprised how simple it was to install and how easy it was to get lined up and the holes in the perfect spot. The supplied template was perfect.

ORU has a basket that fits on the Avalanche rack and I plan to get that (that was my plan all along) I think they also have a kit that uses big door hinge type mounts to mount the basket to the roof, but then your basket is on there 100% of the time. This way I can throw the basket on for weekend use and run with just the OE roof rack when the basket is not needed.

I used a Conn Ferr roof rack on my Toyota with the big door hinge mounts. Instead of riv-nuts it used rubber expanders. Sort of like a boat plug or how motorcycle bark busters are installed. That system worked well too, but you could not remove any of it.

When I get the ORU basket on there I will post some pics.

If anyone is planning this send me a PM & I'll give you my phone number and we can chat about the process if it will help you.

Scott

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
duramaxdavid;1617743; said:
that looks sweet. Are they strong enought for use(say holding a spare tire) or mainly for looks?

They are very strong. I am not the type of guy that does anything for looks. I hate bling. I would not worry at all about adjsuting the crossbars closer together and putting a 35 or 37 inch tire wheel combo up there. I think it will kill your MPG and be noisy as heck, but it would be a great place to carry a spare out of the way.

·
Registered
923 Posts
SCQTT;1618028; said:
They are very strong. I am not the type of guy that does anything for looks. I hate bling. I would not worry at all about adjsuting the crossbars closer together and putting a 35 or 37 inch tire wheel combo up there. I think it will kill your MPG and be noisy as heck, but it would be a great place to carry a spare out of the way.
Speaking of noise how loud is the rack with nothing in/on it? I drive two hours a day to and from work, I would love to use the acreage up on the roof just don't want alot of noise when its empty.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is a little more noise, but it is not too bad. I guess it would be the same as if you had an Avalanche or SUV with the OE rack. My guess is it will get much worse when I put a basket on it. I was going to buy the basket and just bolt it right to the roof like I did on My Toyota, but It was very noisey. I think this was the right choice.

I did drive it on the interstate to the store with the freshly drilled open holes. It was very noisey like that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I like the modification and am thinking about doing it for my truck. Do you mind sharing the part number and how much it costs? Also I wonder whether putting sound proofing material between the roof and the headliner would be an option to keep down the wind noise. Thanks

·
Registered
111 Posts
How well do you think that rack would attach to a fiberglass canopy?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mooseknuckle;1625484; said:
I like the modification and am thinking about doing it for my truck. Do you mind sharing the part number and how much it costs? Also I wonder whether putting sound proofing material between the roof and the headliner would be an option to keep down the wind noise. Thanks
I bought it on eBay $150. $175 shipped to my house. I do not have the GM P/N, sorry. Your idea about the soundproofing might help. I ride motorcycles a lot so wind noise does not bother me much.

Scott

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
igork5k20;1625551; said:
Not certain, The end caps look slightly curved to me and match the contour of the trucks roof perfectly. There is a little flexibility in the way it mounts so it might work.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Looks great. Up here we run a lot of off-road lights so we can see moose and avoid them. Lots of guys run their lights on the bumper, but this does no good when the snow berms get tall. On my wife's mini-van I have her lights mounted to the roof rack and they work AWESOME... I am going to have to take a look at one of these racks to mount some lights for my truck :D

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
igork5k20;1625551; said:
I (and the 6y/o grandson) just installed a Garvin Wilderness Rack on my ARE shell. The Avalanche rails look to wide for a shell. Both Garvin and ARE recommend that the mounting bolts go through the double layer of (fiber glass(?)) on the roof of the shell. With the ARE it is very easy to see that double layer. Not sure about the leer. Check their web site maybe they will have more info.

No wind noise with mine, but I have the front deflector (That I may take off) and my H2 spare up there.

SCQTT
Looks good :ro)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts