Diesel Place banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So sooner or later I'm going to tear apart this parts truck I picked up, and I was wondering what parts I aught to save off the motor? It's supposed to have a broken crank. It's also been sitting around about 10 years.

I figured the IP, alternator, starter I aught to save as spares, maybe the intake too since it's a C-code and mine is a J. The injectors maybe too? Glow plug controller? It's an '86 so it should be the better one. And I see guys using a military surplus motor might have a use for the oil pan off it.. I kinda want to have an excuse to open it up and see what kind of mess it is, anyways.

Came with a new set of glow plugs in the glove box, too, although I don't think they're the improved type. AC's.

·
Registered
148 Posts
In addition to what you suggested, I would grab these:
injectors, glow plug controller, fuel filter mount, injector lines, valve covers (if you can get them off)

And possibly:
Batteries, starter, power steering pump, spare tire/rim.. although I don't think the rim will work for you since it's probably not 8 lug.

·
Registered
410 Posts
All the above of course, and I'd hang onto the Hydra-Boost brake booster off the firewall in case yours goes bad. It's a pricey item to replace, as far as brake boosters go.......and they also make a nice upgrade to a gasser's brake system if you have such a project in the future.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Truck hasn't run in like 10 years, so even if it had batteries they'd be bad, and it is a half-ton. But a couple tires and a bunch of other parts have a home waiting on my gasser. The tilt column is coming out, too. Radiator in it still has new stickers on it, so I'll save that.

I've heard that a cloth (velour) bench in good shape is worth a few bucks?

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
If it were me I'd open it up anyway and see what was really wrong before I decided what I was going to do with it. You'd be surprised how many times stuff like that gets misdiagnosed... If you have old cars I'm sure you know that though. Plus it'd be neat to see the broken crank either way... ;)

Definitely save all of the above and (assuming they're decent)...

Cylinder heads, power steering pump/lines, oil cooler lines, radiator, trans cooler lines (if you have the same trans - otherwise scrap them), harmonic balancer, pulleys (you never know), diesel-specific dash parts, etc... Possibly parts of the wiring harness, but those are probably hard enough to remove intact that it wouldn't be worth it. Definitely all of the engine/trans interface parts (VRV etc on a TH400 truck, TPS, TV cable, TV cable brackets etc on 700R4 equipped truck), especially if it is a 700R4 equipped truck. The transmission itself may also be worth keeping around...

Off of the truck, any decent body parts are probably worth something. Also, depending on what rear axle it has that may be worth some money. If it is a 4x4 the same goes for the front axle and t-case. Aluminum rims obviously if it has them... If they look nice they're worth money, if they don't they're worth money as scrap...

If you can't tell I can't remember what kind of parts truck this is... :eek::

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahh.. the truck is an '86, 1/2 ton, 2WD. I bought it for the 700R4 to use in the '85 in my avatar picture, actually, it's supposed to have about 10,000 miles on a rebuild, and what the guy I got it from paid for the truck would be about right for someone selling a truck that blew up and was just trying to get his money back out of the trans rebuild. It was just the first 2wd 6.2 truck I found, and it happened to be pretty well loaded - front and rear AC, PW, PL, fancy interior with carpet and cloth seats, tilt wheel, side moldings and chrome-trim lenses, etc.

And I figured I could fix some things on the gasser and swap parts around between the three, make both the ones I'm keeping a little better, junk the hull with the worst pieces stuck on it. The gasser could stand another left front door, the one on it is bent and the window mechanism is messed up, for instance. It also could use at least one rear spring, and one rotor up front too. And the tilt and some of the fancy bits could go on the diesel, since I expect I'll drive that more. And some of the stuff I can eBay or whatever, the rear air unit, the fancy dash face, some of the other interior stuff.

Rear axle is the usual 3.73, I see no RPO for a locker so I assume it's an open.

They sure rot funny, too. The rear door bottoms are shot and the bottom of the door opening seems fine. The '80 or so I took back doors off from for my gasser the bottom of the door opening was so-so, I cut it out anyways but never used it - the doors were beat up pretty bad, but they're solid.

·
Banned
671 Posts
pm sent

1 - 7 of 7 Posts