Diesel Place banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want build my trans with a SC IV and don't know jack about matching a converter to my needs. I'm thinking I want to put about 500hp to wheels, but may add 71.5mm Cheetah at some point. All I know is I like the feeling when the converter locks up, but I don't understand the relationship between stall speed and turbo spool. I drove a 2001 with a 1057 and a SCIV in it that runs the quarter in 12.8. I would like my truck to feel like that one. Please open fire with suggestions.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Call Mike or Eric they will tell you which one will be best for your needs.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I thought the 1056 was supposed to be closest to stock. I dont really understand converters that well but I think the 1057 was discontinued.

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
the variety of aftermarket converters do NOT vary in ultimate holding capacity.

The only difference is unlocked feel...

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
the variety of aftermarket converters do NOT vary in ultimate holding capacity.

The only difference is unlocked feel...
Thats exactly what I"m talking about. I don't want something that will slip too much. I"M not concerned about the holding capacity. Basically I'm wondering which SC converter to match to my needs if I have a stock charger tickling 500hp, but may add a Cheetah (probably will). I know the two spool up differently, but I don't know if it's enough to warrent two differnt converters. I only want to buy one. IF that means I have to buy a cheetah now, so be it. But I don't understant the relationship between stall speed and turbo spool, nor do I know what the spooling needs are from a converter to get the most out of a stock charger, or a 71.5 Cheetah. I got the idea that there is a relationship between stall speed and turbo spool from the SC converter sticky in this forum. Maybe I"M not even understanding that right. I don't want to do the trans with the stock charger in place, only to find that the converter I chose is less than ideal for getting my soon to be Cheetah to light. I don't even know if this should be a concern. Probably should have worded the title of the thread a little better. What I do know is that I need some advice.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Sorta off topic but I thought the benefit of the cheetah was that they spooled like or better than stock... That being said I would think you would be happy with whatever converter you liked with the stock charger.

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
I would give mike or suncoast a call. Either of them will be able to point you in the right direction for what you want.. :)

ben

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
i would decide on what you will do with your charger first , even the real loose stall speed converters are not what you think they would drive like i have the 1055 and i love it my charger lights like a motha now and the truck is much funner to drive than it was with the 1054, you can never go wrong with a 1056 or 1057 they are proven i think if a aftermarket chargher is in your future i would go 1058 or 1055, btw i drive my truck daily and tow and so far the 1055 can do it all with no side effects from the higher stall speed. i love it :cool:

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I have a 1057, I chose that converter because it suited 95% of my driveing. It may not be the best for racing or towing, but its a blast to drive. Just make sure you buy a converter that fits the 95% and not the 5%.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I have a 1058 and sled pull with a cheetah. Its just about right, I would like for it to be a hair looser so I could build up a lil more heat before I break out of the brakes but its still a fine combination. Ive never riddin in any other number converter truck but this one works forsure. I use to daily drive mine also and I still drive it alot. Very streetable and mean on the track.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a 1057, I chose that converter because it suited 95% of my driveing. It may not be the best for racing or towing, but its a blast to drive. Just make sure you buy a converter that fits the 95% and not the 5%.

That's precisley what I'm trying to do. I think, based on the numbers, a 1057 is where it's at. I think the tricky part is going to be finding one.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
That's precisley what I'm trying to do. I think, based on the numbers, a 1057 is where it's at. I think the tricky part is going to be finding one.
Merchant Automotive is still showing the 1057 on there website, and not too long ago Mike L. had 10 for sale, I'm sure he sold them by now but he can probably still get them.

·
Banned
1,076 Posts
If you do daily driving and weekend racing my bet is your gonna like the 1058. Call Mike and tell him EXACTLY what you are gonna do with the truck and he will get ya the correct converter.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Besides Suncoast, there are only 3 vendors that can get them.
California, Indiana, Baltimore. That's it.
hey mike hows your new cosmetic peice coming along ;) cont one sold to me when you get it figured out.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Mike helped a lot selecting mine. We were almost set on a 1057 but he then asked where I lived elevation wize. I'm a mile up here in Colorado and with frequent trips up the mountains. Went with a 1056 instead and definantly have been happy with the stall. It may be a little loose than I want but I love knowing I wont have a problem with my future upgrades :evillol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.