Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to hear from everybody that pulls, low or high range and what gear you pull in. Just want to get an idea for what i should pull in. So far ive only pulled in high range 1st gear.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
if i were to hook my truck up i would pull in 4lo 3rd gear......try a search and see what you find... this topic has been talked about before...most pull in 4lo and 3rd gear or if they have enough power and track conditions permit they choose 4lo 4th gear....

·
Registered
149 Posts
4lo 3rd

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
4lo 3rd

·
Registered
154 Posts
Put er in DRIVE!!

A friend of mine has an 01 EC/SB and he just puts it in D and puts the skinny pedal on the right flat on the floor. It usually shifts into 3 or 4 by the end of the track. Oh yea, ITS A STOCK ALLISON and he has a PPE HOT+2 and something else and it held up all last year. But right now it is on the lift in my shop and I am putting a Stage V ATS w/ Copilot and all the purple tranny goodies that goes along with it.:grd:
Hope this helped.:ro)

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
i used my bastard stack on my stock tranny for at least 8-10 pulls, no problem pulling, just to and from them! never hit 4th, i knew that was too much. stick with putting it in 3 in low and it will be just fine! oh yeah, and let the tranny do the shifting

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i used my bastard stack on my stock tranny for at least 8-10 pulls, no problem pulling, just to and from them! never hit 4th, i knew that was too much. stick with putting it in 3 in low and it will be just fine! oh yeah, and let the tranny do the shifting
I got rid of my six gun and i got the Quadzilla Stealth 2 (215hp). Didnt really need it but i made a offer on a new one on E-Bay that i didnt think they would accept just to see and they took it. So i was playing with it and it limped on the 135 tune in 5th gear, but not untill about 105 mph. How high do you think ill be able to run it when im pullin since it will be in the lower gears?

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
if the transfer case is in low, should be fine! how long i dont know, but dont bet on it

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I cant get the boost up when i am in 3 or 4 lo. rev way up in to 3500 - 3800 rpm's do you guys put tow haul or over drive off?

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
maybe not enough power? if you had a cat are you sure you have an 1b7?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
maybe not enough power? if you had a cat are you sure you have an 1b7?
Yes i am sure it is a Lb7 there is no Cat. I seen another post before about this but cant seem to find it now??? what are your thoughts I have seen a couple guys pull in 4 hi before and they where moving down the track at a good rate of speed.

What kinda power do you have to have to pull in the hi range??

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
the more the better. imo, you may move faster in hi range if you hit 2nd, but you will die much quicker. if you use low, you will have more options. 3rd low, locked up gets me moving pretty quick to

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
the best part of low range if something happens your hp and torque numbers are more likely to stay up than if you were in high. say like if you get bouncing and have to let out of it for a second.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
You won't get torque converter lock in 1st gear, so that's why 3rd gear lo is popular; you're locked.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
So the general consensus is tow/haul mode in 3LO, right?

I see or hear trucks shift goin down the track, is that typically the 2-3 shift or is it the few doing a 3-4 shift? I don't typically hear or see any other shifting like 1-2. Does it just happen so close to the line and so soon that it is missed or vitually unnoticable?

Just curious.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
could be as follows: 2nd gear lock up, 2-3, or even 3-4

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Mitch, yeah, from what I've seen, the 1-2 is almost unnoticeable because:

a) most guys don't hammer down until midway through 2nd gear (to keep from just spinning like hell) and;

b) it's pretty brief period in 1st with the low ratio, and;

c) I usually sit at 300 feet so I don't hear much until the soup is full on...

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
what kind of power numbers do you have to have to be in in 4 lo ??

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.