Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if it matters what tire I use, but I mentioned it just in case. I'm not 100% sure on what wheel I'll end up going with, but it'll either be 9" or 10" wide depending on what will I choose. This will be for my 2006 2500HD 8 lug on 6.5. I'm undecided if I'll be raising the truck up or not, but if I do, the front will be raised by lift spindles and that will push out the front track 3/4" on each side. Now do I choose the backspacing and offset for the truck the way it is (stock) or for the aftermarket spindles? I just wanna make sure I get it right because I don't want the wheels/tires to be sucked in or sticking way out. I want it to be just right. This is a lot of money, so I wanna make sure I get it right the first time. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Depending on the wheel application and personal preference you would usually run a -25 offset and a 4 1/2" back space on a 20x10. There are alot of kits out there for the ifs chevys that maintain that front track width so you won't have to worry about the fronts rubbing or sticking out so far.

·
Banned
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you mean by wheel application? So -25 offset and 4 1/2" backspacing on a 20x10, what about a 20x9? It'll more than likely end up being a 20x9 as that's the width the KMC Backseat lists for in the 20".

I have a 2WD truck. I wasn't aware that there were lots of kits out there to raise the front end up without changing the front track. The only way that I know of besides cranking the torsion bars which I don't want to do, is lift spindles. There are only 2 that I know of, Fabtech and CST. CST widens it 3/4" per side and the Fabtech 1" per side. I rather have the CST for the obvious reason, less push out.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The pro comp lifts for the chevys don't widen the track, I know some guys have even used a different backspacing for the front wheels to compensate for the added width on some of the kits with the really wide fronts.

·
Banned
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't believe Pro Comp makes lift spindles for my truck. Again, CST and Fabtech are the only 2 companies that I know of. I'm just needing a few inches of lift and feel that it would be a waste of money to buy a kit in which drops the entire front end down. I called CST today and they the maximum backspacing I could run was 4 3/4". So I guess that answers my question about backspacing. They said it didn't matter if I had a 16" wheel or 20", no more than 4 3/4".

Since the standard backspacing on the KMC 20" x 9" wheel is 5", I'll have to have a custom set made for me since I'm needing 4 3/4". Sucks, but I have no choice.

·
Banned
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I called the 2 companies I was considering buying the wheels from and they both said that the manufacturers don't build the wheels with custom specs. So that means I can't order a set of 20" x 9" with 4 3/4" of backspacing. So if I want to run these wheels, my only option is to use 1/4" wheel spacers. Is there anything wrong with that? My front track will already be sticking out 3/4" more than stock, then with these spacers will total a full 1". I guess I have no choice. I just want to make sure that I won't run into any issues or risk anything by running wheel spacers.

·
Banned
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update, when I called CST last week, a rep there told me no more than 4 3/4" backspacing. Then Thursday or so I was looking at their website and it said 4 5/8". So I called them and a different rep said that on a 17x8 wheel that it requires no more than 4 5/8". So how does that relate to a 20" wheel? I asked him, but he didn't know and said that whoever I'm buying the wheels from should know that. So now I'm back to square one. Anyhow, I was thinking, would such a big (compare to stock) be an issue? I mean, it it more spread out (bigger diameter) and may not even come in contact with anything that it may on a smaller wheel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts