Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've checked lots of threads on shocks and the general consensus seems to be Bilsteins are the way to go. Buy why? What is the difference in how the truck acts with different shocks? Does the fact the truck is driven typically "on road" 4WD with minor off road (dirt roads to motorcycle riding - no beat it like you rented it) driving affect which shock to buy?
I guess I just live with the way the trucks suspension is built from the factory as I'm not looking to lift or modify it in any way and the slow change in ride is not noticeable over time.
What brings this up is my old gasser and my wife's car that I just replaced the shocks and struts after 136000 miles and what a difference the last drive was.
The gasser suspension is stock except bigger tires and now has 159,000 miles on the originals. I'd say I'm way overdue :eek:. Are all Bilsteins back ordered or just for the 2500/3500 HDs.
As you can tell, I drive my vehicles forever, and I'm a cheap fish feces (bass turd) so lifetime warranty is essential

·
Registered
308 Posts
The difference in how a shock acts will come from the valving in the shock its self.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
56 Views, 1 comment and no good answer as to why I should go Bilstein for this truck vs any other.
Because of the way the truck is used and after talking with my neighborhood independent parts house (still owned by the same guy who owned it when my BIL worked there 25 years ago) I went with Monroe Gas-matics. Don't know if they are the best choice but the truck does ride much better than before swapping them out and they have a lifetime warranty

·
Registered
80 Posts
My o4 hd had the typical "jounce" when towing boat (6500-7000 pounds w/trailer) with about 10% tounge weight when driving on expressway with exspansion joints. I pulled the stock rear shocks off at 38,000 miles,the drivers side was completely gone,you could compress it effortlessly to full compression and it would just sit there. I put a set of bilsteins on it and it was night and day better. Jounce that truck has always had towing boat was gone. I just traded truck in on a 06 lbz friday and I plan on putting a full set of bilsteins on it too. Are they on national back order or something, I see someone mentioned that? Smitty

1 - 4 of 4 Posts