Diesel Place banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to go with a used rear locker set up for my truck and wondering what would be a good choice to look for in the used world any why? I don't want to go new looking to do this on the cheap, is there anything from other makes and models that will work with little to no mods???? from what I hear gm's posis suck and mine doesn't posi anymore so I'm sure it has been broke out.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
nobodys got any info for me, I find that hard to beleive????

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Your truck has a 10 bolt rear or the 14 bolt semi floater. There is not cheap thing to do unless you weld it up.
There are cheap lockers out there but if you have the gov lock I think the carrier needs to be changed out and that would not be cheap.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i don't think I have any big HD type rear end, I had thought I had heard somthing about using a gearset out of a dodge?? maybe????? But other than welding is there any junkyard type finds to look for, older or newer years, etc?????

·
Registered
636 Posts
What rear do you have? Since its a 1500 truck it could be a 8.5" 10-bolt or the 10.5" SF 14 bolt. All depends on what rear you have as to which locker you can get.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'm not sure its a hd chassis, 3:73 rear end, and a 6600gvw, any help????

·
Registered
322 Posts
You most likely have the 8.5" 10 bolt axle. There are quite a few differentials available for this axle but none of them are cheap. Personally, if I were you, I'd find a semifloating 14 bolt(9.5" gear) from a light duty 2500 with the 6 lug hubs and swap it into your truck. There are a few lockers available for that one as well, but the point I'm trying to make is that it'll be stronger than any 10 bolt will ever be. Its not as strong as the full floating 14 bolt(10.5" gear) but that axle is not available with 6 lug hubs.

Scott

·
Registered
358 Posts
If has the hd chassis it should have the 14 sf, just count the bolts on the diff cover to be sure. I would spend the extra money and get a detroit, I've had one in my 94 half to chevy for about 3 years now and never had an issue. I wouldn't spend the money getting a 14sf if you have the 10 bolt unless you can get one for free or really cheap. If iremember right the detroit is about a 100 bucks cheaper fot the 14sf though. Unless you're running bigger than 35's or alot of power the 10 bolt will do fine.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
there are 14 bolts on the diff cover, if that helps! And remember I want budget, not 10 yr reliability, I'm probably only keeeping the truck for another year!

·
Registered
6,810 Posts
there are 14 bolts on the diff cover, if that helps! And remember I want budget, not 10 yr reliability, I'm probably only keeeping the truck for another year!
9.5" 14 bolt

detroit locker
true track (more street friendly)
got you power trax/no slip (replaces the spider gears)
std posi/limited slip diff

IMO i would go with a true trac little pricey.... but has a wider range of use

the sprider replacements(power trac/no slip) i have heard some problems after a while... but they are useually the cheapest...

cheapest arc welder:rolleyes:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
could you explain that all a little more please?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
detroit locker = strongest, one-piece design, everythings internal, there are gears that interlock to lock the rear while giving you a little give on turns. Kinda like a spool but a little more flexible on turns. Life span 10yrs+ depending on application
true track = is a limited slip unit, it is Not a locker. One-piece in design i think, It's gear-operated, no clutches. It's more aggressive than a factory Trac-Lok/Gov-lock limited slip, but doesn't always lock up the way an automatic locker does. Life span 4-6yrs approx.
Powertrax/Lockright(same thing) = No clutches, non-gear driven, has two plates that lock together when you push on the throttle(torque applied) and released via small springs behind 4 sliding pins when your off the throttle. Might need a new carrier depending on application, Life span 3-5yrs depending on application.
Std Posi/ Limited Slip Diff. = Posi: P.O.S. with an upside down exclamation point. Life span 3-6months depending on application(used offroad daily 3-5days, used on road unknown) :D

Hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
998 Posts
So it's the 14 bolt with 9.5" ring gear, that'll help when shopping. I think pretty much anything is available for that rearend. Cheapest thing would be finding a G80 carrier (stock posi/limited slip/half-assed device) from a junk yard that looks to be in good shape.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think my truck HAD the gov loc but not any more, and I wan hoping to not have another so thats why I was looking for CHEAP ideas, do you guys have technical links to some of these products?

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
I think my truck HAD the gov loc but not any more, and I wan hoping to not have another so thats why I was looking for CHEAP ideas, do you guys have technical links to some of these products?
google the above names, also check jegs or summit websites.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
look on ebay too, some vendors sell cheap. Although you have to make sure you know what your ordering. "Ringpinion.com" helped my when i was regearing my s10 zr2. Just give them a call and they will walk you right thru it, give you prices etc etc

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had an idea, since this rear end is used from I think 88-06, is there any of those years that had a limited slip/posi diff that WAS NOT the gov-loc type that I could maybe swap in?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts