Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! New guy here that is thinkin about buyin a Duramax truck! Ive got a few questions that I need honest real world answers to before I make any firm decisions... The question at hand is what kind of mileage do yall get out of your trucks? I know there are several different engine platforms but I dont know if that has much bearing on mileage. I am "most" interested in what kind of mileage is capable in a bone stock truck. If I get one Ill add the basics like exhaust, intake, tuner.... Ill spend most driving on country roads followed by highway drivin then a little bit of city driving but not nearly as much as the other two. So lets hear it! What are ya gettin out of your trucks!

Ill be lookin at gettin a 02-04 GMC 2500 4x4, Preferably a EX cab, short or long bed... So that should give ya an idea of the platform Im lookin into.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
'04 LB7 CC/SB,

~16-18MPG around town, driving with a pretty heavy foot.
~18-20MPG on the highway, @75-85Mph, again with a pretty heavy foot.
~20-23MPG on the highway, @65-70Mph, driving slow and steady.

These're all on a stock tune, with an exhaust.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is awesome! Have you found that to be a fairly "normal" range? Or do you think your getting better mileage then other guys?

·
Registered
557 Posts
'03 LB7 everything stock except air filter.
17-20 around town and 22-25 on hwy, gets 11-14 pulling the fifth wheel and the combo almost weighs 20k

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
mr._bowtie;1588479; said:
That is awesome! Have you found that to be a fairly "normal" range? Or do you think your getting better mileage then other guys?
I'd say it's about average, maybe a little better. My truck just had injectors replaced, and those figures are from before the injectors started going bad, and since they've been replaced, my mileage is the same as it was back then.

My truck's running nothing special- regular diesel fuel, no additaves for the most part, regular petroleum oil (not synthetic), factory intake/air filter, etc.

It's pretty unproven, and I'm not going to go around claiming it'll work for anyone, but I found adding motor oil or two-stroke oil to the fuel actually helps the milage alot. I was able to average 2-4Mpg or more better when running a few quarts of oil with each tank of diesel. Again, I have no hard facts, and I wasn't very scientific about it, but thats just what I'd noticed.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I've got an 04' LB7 that is completely stock except an exhaust and I'm getting about 16 to 17 driving around town. I do a lot of freeway miles, but those are mostly in traffic, so you can call it around town. I got 19 on the way back from Idaho when I first got the truck. It looks like I'm not getting the numbers a lot of these other guys are getting. I will look into it.

Andy

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I wanna hear it all lol... The bad along with the good! And I cant say that your very far off from where they are really.

A big part of the reason I am so concerned about it is because I just got a new Dodge with a Hemi and its no where close to what they claimed. So now Im gonna have to sell it and go back to a GM product... I suppose thats what I get for trying a brand other then my beloved Chevys!

·
Registered
225 Posts
My best ever was 19mpg. I got about 15mpg avg. stock. Now that I've got a 6" lift and 35s I'm getting around 12-13. Regardless of what anyone says I wouldn't expect better than 16-17.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
So far with 7500 miles the best i've seen is 18 mpg, but i average 13-15 around town and 15-17 on the freeway. you HAVE to HAND calculate, on the average me DIC is .5 mpg lower than actual...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Jasondt2001;1588861; said:
So far with 7500 miles the best i've seen is 18 mpg, but i average 13-15 around town and 15-17 on the freeway. you HAVE to HAND calculate, on the average me DIC is .5 mpg lower than actual...
These are about the numbers I'm seeing also except the DIC is about 1mpg higher than hand calc'd.

My around town mileage is worse currently as well 9-11mpg due to the cold temps and having to let the thing warm up a little.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
i get about same as jason and misley. 17-18 doing 70-80mph, have got 22mgpover 300mile trip doing 69-70 mph in dec 2 yrs ago. get vin and have it checked in that section, give you idea about some of its history.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Whatever mileage you get with the dmax is going to be a whole lot better than that gas guzzling hemi! I average between 18-19mpg although I don't have a heavy foot.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
kozzer1;1589281; said:
Whatever mileage you get with the dmax is going to be a whole lot better than that gas guzzling hemi! I average between 18-19mpg although I don't have a heavy foot.

Well it wont take much to beat that thing! It gets anywhere from 11-12.5 on average. And Im not even driving the truck hard. I hear alot of guys getting 14-15 out of these trucks but the one I got isnt capable of it.

So its looking like maybe a realistic "average" mpg just day in day out is about 15?

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
That is pretty close maybe a little low. And remember if you get a new trk it will take 20k roughly to break in, then more power mileage etc are yours

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had an 04 lb7 with araid intake & Hypertech set on 90 hp its whole life & it would average 18 not towing.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wont be getting a new truck. Most likely 03 or a year one way or the other, so the break in wont be an issue. I have heard from people that adding an intake, exhaust, and tuner can gain you 2-4 mpg. At that rate it wont take long for those mods to pay for themselves... Is that acurate?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Long bed CC. I get around 18-19 most of the time, high 21. Towing a four horse steel gooseneck trailer fully loaded I'll get 12 all day long. Speed kills on mileage. Drive on the hwy 55 you'll get 20, mayber a little more; go 75 you'll get around 17-19.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Been everywhere;1588496; said:
'03 LB7 everything stock except air filter.
17-20 around town and 22-25 on hwy, gets 11-14 pulling the fifth wheel and the combo almost weighs 20k
It took me putting 80-90k on this truck before it started getting this kind of mileage, so I think 'break in' is a little longer than some say. Before I was getting the mileage that the rest are talking, and this has been hand calculated too. Mind you this truck stays loaded with tools and such for home remodel, quite a bit of weight.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Seems to me that about as bad as it should be is 16 mpg or so with a possibility of getting up closer to 18 with some mods. That is definatly a TON better then the truck Ive got now.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
From what I've read on here a programmer is a MULTI function tool... A kick in the pants when needed and believe it or not (because i didnt at first) a efficiency upper, they improve MPG on most of them.
I really was shocked, but, watch some of these guys post mileage on other topics and the people with the higher numbers have programmers and upgrades in their signatures.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts