Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read about all of these people who spend a Lot of money beefing up their diesels!! I am all for them!! But I don't have 5K to spend and I want to do it smartly . Whats the best set up for about $1000 - 2000k??!!:ro)

·
Registered
156 Posts
i get this question all the time at work.Your best bet is a AFE intake, MBRP Exhaust, and a superchip programmer. You will have about $1300 into it and the only place you could look to upgrade after that is the superchip.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Get a programmer first, thats easily your biggest gains per dollar, after that you may be happy having spent only $400-$500 total.

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
AFE intake: Part of a frugal package?

HP added: 0
Dirt added: 600%
Cold air isolation: minimal
Diagnostic codes: probable

you be the judge.

Good advice from someone that's not selling you anything. Sorry, it's a pet peeve.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Secondary fuel filter would be my first mod and then 4in exhaust. After that guages and then Edge EZ.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Edge, gauges, exhaust, EGR Blocker...you'll have about $1500 into it and will be very happy.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Secondary fuel filter would be my first mod and then 4in exhaust. After that guages and then Edge EZ.
Excellent idea also. I was figuring from the performance angle as many dismiss the notion of adding fuel filters until there is a problem.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
4" full exhaust, gauges, Edge EZ, and Boost stick. Add a blocker pkg also to eliminate codes related to emissions devices.

Some emissions notes: http://www.kennedydiesel.com/docs/Duramax_LLY_Emissions.htm
If you have the $1-2k set aside and earmarked for your truck, then Kennedy is by far your best bet on how to get the most out of your money.

It would be a smart move to talk to him on exactly what you should do as there is no better resource available for Dmax knowledge and parts.

·
Registered
874 Posts
AFE = Not necessary and overpriced for what it does.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
AFE intake: Part of a frugal package?

HP added: 0
Dirt added: 600%
Cold air isolation: minimal
Diagnostic codes: probable

you be the judge.

Good advice from someone that's not selling you anything. Sorry, it's a pet peeve.
:exactly: Thanks !!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Have you considered propane?

·
Registered
874 Posts

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
AHAHAHAHAHA I've got nothing to add, but that is some funny ****E!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hey KB, I am not trying to sell him anything. Your the vendor on this site. AFE's do make a difference with EGT's. Also Show me the tests that say it lets in 600% for dirt. i saw the filter test and it was at the top of the filer test for best aftermarket filter, of course it wasnt as good as the factory paper filter, but who wants those anyway, if i though the factory was the best i would still have the 245's.

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
.. AFE's do make a difference with EGT's. Also Show me the tests that say it lets in 600% for dirt. i saw the filter test and it was at the top of the filer test for best aftermarket filter, of course it wasnt as good as the factory paper filter, but who wants those anyway, if i though the factory was the best i would still have the 245's.
Bold link above.

I was wrong it's not 600%, it's 2,700% more dirt, .4 g vs 10.9 g for AFE. I'm not picking on you (I am picking on AFE), just displaying facts.

But I did forget #5. Maintenance headache.

A $400 window sticker. As I said before , it is a pet peave, the aftermarket intake companies rank the highest is SCAM'ability. No question, there is so much clever deception. BTW, I have personally tested 4 aftermarket names, built 3 others, and never seen more than a 75 degree egt benefit, and that wasn't the AFE.

·
Registered
345 Posts
so whats a good idea for an air intake system? Stock w/ aftermarket filter, or is stock good enough?

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
If you want to stick with stock box, it is reputed that a vendor here from texas can fix you up, if you have an 05 LLY or earlier..

BTW, The stock element is the best bank for the buck.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.