Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Eagle Eyes
1,334 Posts
peak torque output is around 2000RPMs
peak horsepower is around 3600RPMs
best fuel milieage is about 1800-2100RPMS

the engine is goverened around 4100-4300RPMs but that is adjustable with IP tinkering.

youre not going to get it near the govenor cutoff unless you really try. let us know what youre up to. even with keeping my truck out of overdrive ive never gone past like 2500RPMs or maybe 2800RPMs I think.

·
Registered
227 Posts
my aftermarket tach stops at 4k. my old 6.2L with 500K on it turns over 3500easy. i have run it to just over 3k on the interstate a few times recently. once to show a guy in a duramax how a diesel issupposed torun. not sure of speed at that rpm, 2000 in OD is 82mph.
I have no idea hw high you could turn one for any length of time. last long trip I took (800 miles) mine stayed between 2500 and 2800 most of the trip.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
You will have to really push that engine to get to redline unless you've got an engine that was in a school bus or something, those were usually governed low. Particularly if you've got older injectors with lots of miles, they tend to float and effectively 'govern' the engine. I don't really like how fast these engines turn, but they seem to hold up fairly well. Only thing is that engines that turn fast tend to blow head gaskets occasionally.

last long trip I took (800 miles) mine stayed between 2500 and 2800 most of the trip.
I hope that wasn't in overdrive! At that RPM, you'd be going what, 95? 100?

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
I have a m1009 with 3.08 gears and a turbo 400. What do you think I spin at 65pmh?

·
Registered
227 Posts
You will have to really push that engine to get to redline unless you've got an engine that was in a school bus or something, those were usually governed low. Particularly if you've got older injectors with lots of miles, they tend to float and effectively 'govern' the engine. I don't really like how fast these engines turn, but they seem to hold up fairly well. Only thing is that engines that turn fast tend to blow head gaskets occasionally.

I hope that wasn't in overdrive! At that RPM, you'd be going what, 95? 100?
it sure was. Found out real quick the guy in the Duramax who kept trying to pass couldn't so it:) I am sure he loved watching the smoke blow out both sides of my blazer in front of him:)
Somewhere I have photo of the speedo doing that, it was the same trip my truck rolled the odo for the fifth time around. 500K and counting now.
JFTR, in my part of Texas on the open interstate mid day, yourun like that or get run over.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I wish my truck only turned 2 grand at 82 mph...
you just need taller tires.or higher gears.
that is in my 84 4x4 blazer.
my 82 1/2 ton, 6.2L, ATS turbo, with 235/75/15 and 3.08 in it run to 145 on the dyno. Dyno guy shut me down when he heard me put the throttle on the floor and the truck downshifted:) He bet me there was no way it would run a buck forty. I didn't know if it would or not, but was willing to hear it scatter parts trying if that is what it took. not bad for a truck I paid $1200 for and have not done anything to (other than remove stock bed and build cusotm steel flatbed)
brian.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've had my 82 suburban up to 45mph in 1st gear by simply keeping it to the floorboards. Sounds really cool that high my rearend is 3.73 and tranny is turbo 400. I've only done that a couple times not good I don't think but the truck never dies.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts