Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please see my signiture. This is my first Duramax so forgive me. What is the braking point of the chevy for high egt's. I have had Ford popwerstrokes in the past and I would never take it over 1,200 degrees and I vary seldom saw 1,100 towing is the chevy ment to run higher EGT's?

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
1300-1400 degrees pre turbo is the maximum I would hold it at for any period of time. I've seen 1600+ for 30 seconds or so without any problems but that doesn't mean it is a good idea.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So is the answer yes, the duramax is built to run higher egt's than the powerstroke?

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
They seem to hold up better. What did you have a 6.0L or a 7.3L? Where was your probe, pre turbo or post?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The powerstroke was 7.3, garret 38r turbo, 4" turbo back n/cat, afe stage 2, egr blocker, super chips extreme stacked with the banks 6 gun. The pyrometer was post turbo. I am just scared to run that high of a egt in this truck the fords melting point was 1,200 degrees sustained.

Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
If the probe is after and your running 1200 that motor is running real hot, its proabably 1400-1500 pre turbo

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
I read some where that the duramax can substain 1100 degrees.

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
Sustained no more than 1250.

Look up the melting points of Aluminum. Boundary layer be damned, 1250 is the practical limit while under constant load.

Racing is not as stressful. But EGT's are like a piggy bank. 1600 for a few seconds, is not as large a withdrawl as 1350 for 2 minutes

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
damn how many times is this going to be a topic this week

1 - 9 of 9 Posts