Votes: 2 0.8%
  • SuperChips Flashpaq

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • HP Tuners

Votes: 3 1.2%

• Total voters
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Ride, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
LB7 ONLY​

If you were asked "What programmer should I get?", what would be your response?

It does not have to be the programmer that you are currently running.

Please post why it is your choice:
  • What do you use it for mostly? (Daily Driver, Towing, Drag, etc...)
  • What do you like about it?
  • What would you change if you could?
Please take a bit of your time to help out the Duramax owners that have decided that it is time to upgrade, whether it is for the first time, or looking for another option to what they have now.

This thread is for information only. Please refrain from discussion. Also please avoid "one liner's" (ie: XYZ is the best!) As they will most likely be deleted. Take a minute and provide some details.

If your choice is not in the poll, post it anyways. I'll add it to the list.

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
tuning all depends on what the owner wants to do with the truck. some guys tow, race, pull, daily drive or do a mixture and you need to tune accordingly.

i have ran or have first hand experience with edge, predator, ats, ppe, efi, banks and hypertech. efi is king of tuning for the duramax but some guys just dont have the know how or the patience to learn to tune with it themselves so you can have a reputable tuner cut you a tune or you can run a dsp switch. ppe is second best and is the best handheld programmer available. i have also had good luck with the ats e power (has ten levels up the a 350 flywheel power tune, the tunes are very similar to ppe hot +2 and it is half the price of the hot +2). i ran the predator and liked that tuner as well. it is a pretty hot little tuner and has plenty of power to smoke a stock trans. very reasonable price as well but predator tunes like to run high egts. i am not a big fan of the edge as everyone is running it and i personally dont think the tunes are that great. the hypertech and the banks are good safe tuning and give a nice performance gain but you wont be winning any races.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I started with the edge/juice combo and it made the truck more fun to drive compared to stock, but all tuners do that. The reliability of the edge unit is what turned me sour, had problems with it and come to find out a lot of other people were having the same issues. Switched to EFI and its night and day. The reason I think EFI is the best is because of its flexibility. Its a tuner thats only as complicated as you make it, and the power gains are unmatched. The drawback with the best tuners is the supporting mods required to get the most from the tuning. A lift pump is a MUST and also a trans rebuild, and the trans rebuilds are expensive.

·
Registered
296 Posts
predator switched from hypertech to it and huge difference not as laggy and was cheaper also predator can check balance rates

·
Ride, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Added HP Tuners.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I marked EFI, because it's what i have. I do not have the technical knowledge, time nor mods to get the most out of the tuner.

One benefit of EFI is that i was able to delite my EGR after removal of the vacuum pump. The pump had gon bad, and i probably get better mileage without it and saved the $$ for replacement.

EFI is great as a generic code reader also and has worked on a half dozen other vehi les for me.

I do have experience with an edge on a 6.0 powerstroke..........

·
Registered
56 Posts
ppe standard. 400 hp 725 torque dyno proven numbers on my 2003 lb7 at the wheels.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I ran the Quadzilla Stealth II on my 2002 LB7 for almost 5 years and it performed flawlessly. It was a great intro tuner and it did everything that I needed...but there were subtle differences in how my truck ran versus when it was stock that I just knew were eventually going to catch up to me and end up shortening my vehicles life. I just recently had a local diesel shop (Brown's Diesel in Riverdale, Ca) install EFI Live with a DSP5 switch. My tunes are stock, towing (+60HP), economy (+80HP), hot (+100HP), and anti-theft (no start). My truck runs and shift so much SMOOTHER than stock it is unbelievable. I just tested my fuel mileage and I average 19.6MPG over the entire tank (freeway, city, and country driving) and that is with a 7" lift kit and 35" Toyo MT's on 20x12" wheels. That's about 2MPG better than what the Quadzilla was giving me. Get EFI Live from the get go and you will not regret it.

·
Registered
653 Posts
For me its the Edge it gives great Power and decent fuel economy. When my transmission got built I was able to use the upper power levels without defueling. I just wanted a programmer to hook up and go without making up my own programs or buying someone Else's. Changing the power level on the fly is great I just need to put it in 4wd from launch or below 30 mph.

·
Registered
162 Posts
What......no love for the ORIGINAL (well one of the first) Van Aaken tuners :p:. Running the 0 - 70HP - 110HP box since about 80,000 miles. Tow on 70, run 110 the rest of the time. Rolled 200,000 Sunday coming home from work. Running original Allison, but replaced Injectors (on my Dime) at 152,000. Tranny is getting close to rebuild time. Best $250.00 I ever spent.

Jim

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I just added the Edge Evolution to my '04 LB7.
I chose it for the simplicity of install, and the complete gauge setup all in one compact package.
I'm one of those guys who is not (currently) interested in learning to program my own. I'm content with the power gains from a "canned" chip.

I wondered about the swap on the fly options and decided not to worry about that, or I'd prolly be jacking with it all the time!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts