Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could some in the know please post of copy of this GM document as mentioned in this quote from another thread related to the 2005 / 2006 exhaust droan:

2006 LBZ CREW ... 1800 miles ... droan/moan since day-one at about 1750 rpm ... cool to cold climate ... 5000-7500 feet elevation.

Took mine in for a dealer look-see last week.

Dealer acknowledged problem with sound, contacted GMC and ordered parts per DOC #1730582 to weight exhaust system.

Truck goes in later this week for the fix ... We'll see what happens and post results.
In my quest to rid my truck of the exhasut droan I had these exhaust dampner weights installed on my OEM 2005 exhaust, but like an idiot who wasn't thinking, when they installed the 2006 style exhaust on my '05 truck (as per a GM bulletin concerning the droan) I left the weights on my old exhaust. Now, according to the above quote it looks as though GM is stating to put them on the '06 exhaust also.

I'd like to see the document to be able to confirm this.

Thanks!

Rob

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
The doc# you supplied only covers up to 2005 right now

Exhaust Moan Drone Vibration at Approximately 1700 RPMs - keywords body buzz diesel load noise pipe resonance tail tailpipe #PIT3457B - (Nov 17, 2005)

Exhaust Moan Drone Vibration at Approximately 1700 RPMs
2004-2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD/3500 Series
2004-2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD/3500 Series
with 6.6L Diesel Engine (VIN 2 - RPO LLY)
except Crew Cab Short Box Pickups
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
<A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1730582&evc=numSrch#ss1-1730582">Condition/Concern:

Full size trucks equipped with the 6.6L LLY engine may have an exhaust moan/drone/vibration concern at approximately 1700 RPMs.
<A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1730582&evc=numSrch#ss2-1730582">Recommendation/Instructions:

If working on a crew cab short box pickup follow bulletin 05-06-05-002. All other models have had success reducing the concern by installing two exhaust dampeners, part number 10199232, five inches forward of the catalytic converter.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank-you COBRA!

Your one that can always be counted on around here

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FYI - Mines a crew cab. According to this, weights don't help - exhaust must be replaced, which was done already

1 - 5 of 5 Posts