Diesel Place banner

What have you done to your 6.5 today?

Tags
6.5l
716K views 6K replies 762 participants last post by  blackmanta 
#1 ·
Well today I took went and got my batteries tested again. Had them tested where they actually drain and recharge it... needless to say I bought 2 new batteries. That and It would not start a few weeks ago with the radio on for about 15 min.

Also found out that my 8th digit of my vin is F.

#2 ·
I didn't do anything to my truck today, well, other than throwing away some drink cups and trash I've left in it. I've been slacking lately, a year ago I'd never have left ANYTHING like that in it. I also need to have a tire fixed so my spare can go back inside (Ive got one Grey wheel and 3 black ones on it right now. Picked up a nail the other day), change the oil, vacuum it out, wipe the interior, wash the outside, and wipe the wheels. Lots of work, but I like to keep my truck looking nice. I'm just so busy & broke lately. I know there are other things I need to do but those are the main things. I spent all day Friday taking out the radiator and cleaning it and the rest of the "coolers". The AC works a little better now so I'm sure i will run cooler in the heat with the AC and my trailer. Wont know until it gets to the mid 90's again later this week.

Reactions: jrsavoie
#6,126 ·
Cleaning the radiator, condenser and coolers are smart things to do. An area often forgotten is the A/C evaporator in the cab. It is a pain but worth the trouble. FIRST remove the plastic vent behind the hood, vacuum and clean out the whole area where the wipers are located, then flush and wash it out, this is where the air comes from to go to the blower and evaporator in the cab. NEXT, remove the blower, I know it is a pain in the neck, literally. You now have some access to clean out the debris that is clogging the evaporator. I hope this helps someone!

#3 ·
I was sanding my new "power dome" hood for hours yesterday. It's going to be done really soon, which is nice, because it takes up a lot of room when it's off the truck. I also sat in the truck for a few minutes and imagined driving it when it's all done. :D

#4 ·
OK, here we go..

new ignition switch
new ignition alarm switch
new lock cylinder
hooked up xm
new starter (5th one)
installed kodiak door handles
put brush guard back on
put tonneau cover back on
cleaned last weeks crap out of it
topped it off with oil
thats all i can think of now....:D:D

#5,581 ·
OK, here we go..

new ignition switch
new ignition alarm switch
new lock cylinder
hooked up xm
new starter (5th one)
installed kodiak door handles
put brush guard back on
put tonneau cover back on
cleaned last weeks crap out of it
topped it off with oil
thats all i can think of now....:D:D
Starters are an issue there is a 2.5kw starter out there if that is a 1/2 kw bigger than standard. I just replaced mine again after 1.5 years and found a leak in the exhaust manifold blowing hot gas on it causing premature failures also fries gp wires so you don’t get all the gp firing.

#5 ·
sounds like you need to change your signature now...

#6 ·
Ill chang it tomorrow, no time now:D

#7 ·
thankfully i've done nothing but drive it today. :D

#8 ·
Mine's a 6.2, can I get in on this?

Today I've done nothing; haven't been home and been driving the company vehicle.

Yesterday I pulled the trans pan to see how bad my transmission problem might be by whats at the bottom of the pan. Verdict? Not much there. Hoping the fix will be simple and cheap(ish, it's a transmission after all).

#9 ·
sure... if I could change the title, I would.

#10 ·
Actually, you can; you have to go to the advanced editor to do it. I did it recently in my TH400 thread (it used to say TH350) when I figured out I had a different (better?) trans than I thought.

Reactions: runsheeprun
#11 ·
Nothing today, just drive it on weekends and fishing/hunting, rest of the time sits in the garage. Replaced the vac pump on Friday, drove 600 km on Sunday. Nothing else needs done right now.

#12 ·
Today - Cleaned out the pre-filter on my Walbro FRB-5 on the veggie side.

Yesterday - Re-installed my Walking J RattleStops on the dashboard. So quiet inside now. So quiet.

#13 ·
kicked it .... twice.

once for being a PITA right now and the second time for hurting my foot

#450 ·
kicked it .... twice.

once for being a PITA right now and the second time for hurting my foot
That is just, not, nice :banghead:

I rebuilt the NV4500 last weekend, Works great!

#14 ·
topped up the antifreeze today. It leaks slowly enough that its not quite worth actually fixing the leak :rolleyes: It looks like its somewhere around the water pump

#15 · (Edited)
careful with that. if it is indeed the waterpump leaking out of the weep hole it may get worse quickly.

my truck didn't leak a drop then i came out from class and the surge tank was almost empty. all that coolant leaked out from the weep hole in the waterpump while the cooling system had normal operating pressure in it. it wasn't even an overnight thing. it was in a matter of a few hours as my driveway never had a drop on it where the truck was parked that morning.

Reactions: explorer
#16 ·
I cleaned up the work bench and organized all of my interior (new rug, dash, seats, console, amps, sub, etc) .then went online to see if I could find a set of seats locally while I reupholster these ones ,been looking for awhile (setting up and 1925 singer sewing machine to sew these ones). I have to finish the sanding of the body and prime and paint it next week then start bolting it all back together. I just can’t get back into it and I’am off and now is the time to do it. But I guess when I start on it I’ll be on it steady till done..

#17 ·
played with the turbo vac system... blowing black smoke.

#20 ·
it's now my Daily driver for a while because my clutch on my 94 corolla went out...

ordered a water pump, fan, & 180º T stat last week. It should hopefully come in this week.

Also going to hopefully get rid of the black smoke this week with a new WG solenoid.

Reactions: runsheeprun
#21 ·
well today i just ordered a new engine from Diesel depot and am looking forward to driving my Burb again :) about time!!!

#22 ·
well today my suburban drove over my cell phone... so more like what did it do to me.

#23 ·
my water pump, fan, clutch, and T stat came today. I have to wait until fri or sat to install it all... bummer.

#26 · (Edited)
today i realized that replacing the water pump was a bigger job than I originally thought.

First frustration
Everything is bolted to the water pump just about, vac, AC, PS.

2nd
the pump is bolted to the Timing cover which I did not realize

3rd
had to cut the lower rad hose off (the expensive one) because it was stuck on the old pump and while trying to pry it off, I started to puncture it

tomorrow i'm going to get a new hose, more coolant, RTV, a small hose to connect the pump to the T stat, and what ever else I think I need.

#27 ·
finally finished my water pump, fan, clutch and T stat. Only took 2 trips to napa and WAY too many hours to get it all finished. between yesterday and today it was probably between 8 and 10 hours not including the time at Napa. I was working slow and I did spend about 45 min going over every nut and bolt with my thread restore kit so I would have clean threads.

Ran down the highway with the outside temp about 75F or so and it was running between 180 and 185 (I assume the larger line between 210 and 160 is 180. Got up to the smaller line just past that thick one.

I checked the oil after running it and there were a few air bubbles which scared me because I thought that it was water, but after wiping it clean, checking, checking and re checking, the oil was still black.

#28 ·
Cleaned work bench and welding bench, getting ready to tear down trans for inspection and install shift kit. scared to kick it as this thing is like a 2 stroke go kart from the 70s. drive for 1 hr fix for 6 hrs. but im more stubborn than it is :)

#29 ·
replaced 2 lightbulbs and the passenger side axle seal two days ago. got the truck inspected 1 day ago and today the axle seal is leaking again! damnet.... guess its time to spend the big bucks and get one of those axle saver kits and do it all over again.

Justin

#30 ·
replaced 2 lightbulbs and the passenger side axle seal two days ago. got the truck inspected 1 day ago and today the axle seal is leaking again! damnet.... guess its time to spend the big bucks and get one of those axle saver kits and do it all over again.

Justin
Check your differential vent tubes for blockage. I was going through axle seals on my rear axle too, before I thought to check if my vent was plugged. :)

Reactions: bowtieguy96
#31 ·
Today I changed the rear end fluid with Royal Purple. And Thursday I removed the vac pump, put the short belt on and installed the Flex-A-Lite dual 15" electric fan kit.