Diesel Place banner
6001 - 6020 of 6032 Posts

· Registered
104 Posts
New EBC front rotors and pads. Someone before me had tightened the bolts holding the hubs to the spindles impossibly tight, for no good reason. My impact wrench wouldn't touch them, and it is difficult to get an impact on those bolts anyway. Ended up having to do some contortionist moves with a 4' long pipe and breaker bar to break them loose.

Automotive tire Locking hubs Abrasive saw Saw Plant

· Registered
299 Posts
Had to replace my 7- way connector. Went to plug in the car trailer today and no lights... went to investigate further and found out why...
Made a trip to tractor supply and got a new one and spent a while clipping and stripping wires. I'll be adding an auxiliary wire next time I'm in there, but for now, everything I need is there and clean. I'll be picking up the new plow truck tomorrow morning. It's a 1991 2500 with the V6. But for $500 with the working plow and a title, I can't lose.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

· Registered
35 Posts
Well, finally had to put a new starter in the old 92. While it wasn’t a cake walk, it really wasn’t all that bad of a job. Just time consuming. And oh yeah, small child hands and arms would sure be handy…my hands and arms are pretty chewed up LOL. And oh, I guess that I got lucky too. The support bracket was broken. I couldn’t see that the starter had been moving any, but thankfully I had bought one a couple years ago just to have one on hand.

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
The starter bracket is definitely a must.I’ve worked on a few 6.5 engines in the past that had the brackets missing or just left undone altogether.

· Registered
299 Posts
Back in the day, I bought a new starter for my 86 Jimmy 6.2 from western auto parts when I lived in SC. It didn't have the stud on the back to mount to the support bracket and they told me I didn't need it and that it was the right one for my truck. I was like 19 or 20 and just as dumb as I am now, so I went with it. Many broken starter bolts and a busted up flex plate later I actually went back and complained and they paid the full bill to fix it at my shop. Doubt that would happen nowadays.

· Registered
908 Posts
Back in the day, I bought a new starter for my 86 Jimmy 6.2 from western auto parts when I lived in SC. It didn't have the stud on the back to mount to the support bracket and they told me I didn't need it and that it was the right one for my truck. I was like 19 or 20 and just as dumb as I am now, so I went with it. Many broken starter bolts and a busted up flex plate later I actually went back and complained and they paid the full bill to fix it at my shop. Doubt that would happen nowadays.

Impressed me. You just don't see that nowadays with a parts house.

Reactions: OkDually

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Last night I ordered a set of 16” helo HE879 wheels from a company in Canada.It’s for my 96 Chevy truck.I have the same wheels on my 96 GMC at the moment.They look great overall.I guess it’ll take a week or so for those to arrive.I was thinking of buying a reconditioned set of the original GM wheels but went with the black helo brand instead.The total cost was $912 delivered to my doorstep.

Attachments

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
I didn’t have a spare set of DS4 injector lines in case I experienced an unexpected leak on my 96 gmc,so today on eBay I bought a complete new set from swag performance parts out of Henderson,Tennessee.

I figured it would be a good idea to buy them because eventually in another few years they may be discontinued altogether not to mention the prices will skyrocket.

I believe this seller has one set left that’s available for the 94-02 6.5 DS4 pump.

Attachments

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
This morning I ordered a couple new door striker bolts and door hinge springs from rockauto for my 96 Chevy truck with the 6.5 goodwrench van engine.I’m hoping to have both doors back into place in the next couple days.I welded on two new lower replacement panels which isn’t quite finished as of yet.

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
The Amazon order with the dorman door roller pin arrived today so I can now install two new door roller pins with springs upon my blue 96 gmc truck.I never did put the springs back upon those doors so I think it’s about time it was done.I also have the tool needed to compress the springs to make the job easier.

Reactions: Babin Farms

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Finally today I put two new door roller pins and dorman door springs on my 96 gmc.I have to say it’s nearly impossible to do this without the spring compressor tool.It makes things so much easier.

I should have installed these parts 7 yrs ago when I first rebuilt the truck from the ground up but it’s definitely nothing like doing things correctly the first time around.

· Registered
89 Posts
What have I done today? Nothing. And it took me three hours ...

Took the bypass off the water pump to install a homemade restrictor. Not the biggest job but not the smallest either. And messy seeing as about 1/3rd of the coolant needs to be dropped. Removed the bypass hose and found that somebody has already installed a restricting fitting. This is a double bummer:
1) Waste of time
2) I thought that was going to help with my overheating issues

Not to be deterred, seeing as I had the coolant partially emptied I thought I would install the 195* thermostats that I ordered a while back. Opened up the thermostat housing which I think is somewhat inconvenient on American trucks but on an Australian Suburban this is at the absolute limit of my dexterity. Proof that somewhere out there a mechanic got caught sleeping with an engineer's wife ...

So thermostat housing opened. Got the new thermostats ready to put in and ... they're the wrong size!!! I haven't checked the part numbers to see what went wrong but what I do know is that it'll take another 4 weeks to receive the correct ones from the states. Which means everything has to go back together and coolant topped up and hopefully I haven't introduced any leaks or problems with all of the electrical connections I unplugged or hoses I undid. Ah well.

· Registered
299 Posts
You don’t need new thermostats. Those are American versions, so you have to turn them upside down to fit the Australian truck.
Sorry…I couldn’t resist. And one of my favorite things to do is ask Australians what part of England they’re from…and vice versa. I love how it pisses both of them off. Anyway, good luck with the parts. I know I get pissed when I have to wait the 3-4 days for stuff from Amazon. I can’t imagine the insufferable bastard I’d be if I had to wait 4 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

· Registered
89 Posts
You don’t need new thermostats. Those are American versions, so you have to turn them upside down to fit the Australian truck.
Sorry…I couldn’t resist. And one of my favorite things to do is ask Australians what part of England they’re from…and vice versa. I love how it pisses both of them off. Anyway, good luck with the parts. I know I get pissed when I have to wait the 3-4 days for stuff from Amazon. I can’t imagine the insufferable bastard I’d be if I had to wait 4 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Oh yeah, and my water pump pushes water around in the opposite direction!

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Oh yeah, and my water pump pushes water around in the opposite direction!
I may have overlooked this but not sure so I was wondering do you buy your parts from rockauto?Fedex delivers to my doorstep in 3-4 business days.I don’t know what the cost is to Australia but figured I’d mention rockauto to you.

Reactions: OkDually

· Premium Member
887 Posts
Found out you can install a injection pump 180 deg out of time. Had to yank that back out and spin so the pin fits the other hole, Resealed the driver valve cover yesterday. Used the stud and clamp kit on it. Hopefully thats the end of the leaks. Now to finish this IP install and work on a 6.7 Cummins at the same time.

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Tonight on eBay I ordered a pack of 25 aluminum spacers which were 5/8 OD 1/4 ID and 1/2” thick so I can use them upon some new 6.2/6.5 clevite rocker arm shafts to replace the not so reliable GM retainers.

I’ll pick up some grade 8 1/4” bolts and self locking nuts here locally but I just want to have the new rockers ready to go in case I need to use them sometime down the road.Total cost was $51 delivered.The spacers I used are similar to this…

Attachments

Reactions: OkDually and 56pan
6001 - 6020 of 6032 Posts