Diesel Place banner
5981 - 6000 of 6032 Posts

· Registered
299 Posts
So in the last few days, I cut the stupid hood stack off, pulled the flipped turbo to dp flange and plan on cleaning it up, cleaned things up a little under the hood (still need to do a real cleaning to remove all the soot), bought a new set of glow plugs and a hotwires harness to fix the hard start issue, ordered a new dp from kb diesel, ordered a new set of roof running lights, and picked up a set of 5 nearly new BF Goodrich all terrain tires for less than the cost of 1 new one. I should have some good updates next week after the parts get here.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

· Registered
299 Posts
Jeez, I feel like I'm the only one working on anything! Anyway, I pulled the passenger inner fender today (only 2 bolt holes were rusted out and the battery tray stud snapped... oh well. Then I loosened the passenger side glow plugs and pulled one of them to see its condition. Actually looked pretty good, but no markings on it at all. I've already got a new set of dieselrx plugs on the way. The heat shields for the middle 2 plugs are failing apart... I'll see if I can rig something up, because those studded bolts are probably not coming out... and I have the hotwires harness anyway. And I ordered all new shocks today, all 4 are rusted out and look decades old.

· Registered
908 Posts
Let me guess. You're somewhere way north of the Mason Dixon line? That's some serious corrosion, bud.

· Registered
299 Posts
Yeah, definitely in the salt belt. Frame and floors are clean. Rocker at the rear passenger door is rotted, and the bottoms of a few doors are too, but otherwise, impressively solid for a Cape Cod truck of 1995 vintage. And the engine runs great. Great oil pressure at start and when up to temp.

· Registered
325 Posts
Finally got around to changing the busted vents for the drivers side. When I replaced the dash couple years ago the new to me dash came with the bezel as well but the deflectors and what not in the vents had seen better days. The vents in my old dash where still in good shape so I saved them. Told myself I'll get them changed tomorrow. Well tomorrow finally came today 2ish years later lol.

· Registered
299 Posts
Got the KB Diesel downpipe today. Looks good and can't beat the free shipping. Came with one of those wrapped sleeve exhaust clamps. I've never used them and I'm not sure about it, but I'm leaving the DP open for the next owner to decide on a full exhaust.

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
I purchased 3 new Bosch Germany 6.5 turbo injectors from eBay today.The German injectors are tough to find but I plan to install the German set of 8 in my 96 gmc when I get some time to spare.

· Registered
4,974 Posts
That salt sure does a number on your trucks.

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
That salt sure does a number on your trucks.
The salt is real bad here I have to say.Once late November comes I park the trucks I have and keep them out of the elements.They are in good shape I have to say.I see a lot of late model trucks here with the rockers and bed sides rotted out.Nothing lasts here.Even the rear spring hangers rot out in no time on the later model GM trucks.

· Registered
297 Posts
Those exhaust manifolds look like something out of a science fiction movie....like they are morphing into something else. Lol

Reactions: dieselolds

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Another single Bosch Germany 6.5 turbo diesel injector was available today from another seller on eBay.I picked it up for roughly $70.I figured a few extra spares would be a good idea.These are usually rare as hens teeth but are popping up on eBay every now and then.The acdelco part number is 217-233.

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
It’s supposed to be a nice hot day here tomorrow so I’m planning to sand,prime and repaint the roof and visor on my 96 gmc truck.There are a couple rusty spots on the roof that I want to sand out before it gets out of hand.

I had a quart of paint mixed up at my local parts store just a couple days ago that’s ready to pour into my gravity feed gun so once painted I’m hoping to shoot the clear afterwards.Napa wanted $80 for the quart but I was able to get the same elsewhere for $43.

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Today I put some 16” black helo wheels with cooper tires on my 96 gmc.The truck is still in my garage allowing additional time for the clear coat to cure on the roof and driver side front fender.I like the black wheels though.Seems to look pretty good.Hoping in a few days to get the German Bosch injectors installed.

Attachments

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
This is what the fender looks like after clear coating it yesterday with 2K spraymax glamour.In person it looks much better than what the picture shows here.

Attachments

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Clear coat? What's that?

Figured I’d put something decent on the fender since painting it a couple months back.That’s when I put the second replacement fender on it.The outrigger of a cat backhoe crushed the first fender I put on it some 8 yrs ago.Luckily it was just fender and grille that got the beating and nothing else.The hood escaped damage so I was pretty lucky there.

My father was operating the cat at the time.Guess he wasn’t focusing on what he was doing at the time.It happens to all of us at some point.

The chrome grille too I bought from eBay but I was also able to repair it.It was only on the truck a couple months.

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
This evening I purchased two sets of arp starter bolts from eBay out of Montreal for both of my 90s GM trucks.The part number is 430-3511.Many years ago I did the same for the 5.7 olds diesel.That engine too right now has arp starter bolts.The original bolts from GM on that engine never seem to last either.

· Premium Member
118 Posts
In the past two days, I added a second underwood light to my "Burban?. Ordered an OEM from Summit, of all places. I swapped the incandescents to LED. Can you tell the difference? They LED lights up the night LOL! Since I removed the third row, I added an organizer and a WeatherTech floor guard to keep the "cavern" behind the second row tidier.....
That back contraption is a Mobility Lift, for which, I'm donating.

Oh, forgot to mention, I removed deteriorating window tints from the driver's and passenger's window....twas an interesting project. Thank you "YouTube"! This saved me $40 in getting new tint installed.

Am updating to show the affects two LEDs in the engine bay....
Automotive fuel system Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Motor vehicle Car Window Vehicle Trunk
Hood Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold

· Registered
325 Posts
Got the coolant drained best possible and the leaking t-stat crossover off. Just have to get the mounting surfaces cleaned up and the also leaking quick disconnect replaced. Then try to get the rest of the list of things done before the temp drops and snow flies.

Reactions: Babin Farms
5981 - 6000 of 6032 Posts