Diesel Place banner
5921 - 5940 of 5967 Posts

·
Registered
84 K30 CUCV 6.2, 98 Suburban 6.5, 99 Suburban 6.5, 06 Ram 5.9
58 Posts
Did the same!! Oil and filter change, front and rear axle fluid, and a general check up.. 248k and counting!!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
22,031 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Motor vehicle Light Car Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
HX40II coupled with stock intake on 95 c3500

·
Registered
53 Posts
Took out the last of 5 after market relays. With 4 wires to each it was a veritable rat's nest in there. I'll reinstall spotlights at a later date. It's starting to look a little bit more factory again and far less confusing. I wanted this done before doing the battery cable upgrade that I'm hoping will resolve my slow cranking.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Changed oil, filters, lube and tire rotation yesterday. One of the clear LED cab roof lights went out so replaced it with a similar set with the "smoke" lenses. The holes matched up so no new drilling was needed. While it is true that LED has no bulbs to "burn out", they still do "go out" sometimes.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Looks like I am ordering parts and planning the logistics of replacing an engine. Was pulling a trailer down the interstate yesterday with the windows down so it was noisy anyway, Started to get tired of the noise so rolled them up and found out it wasn't just wind and road noise. Went a few more miles into a rest area where it was still running fine with no smoke just loud. Nothing obvious. Shut er down and quick restart no change. After it cooled tried again and its running bad and lots of unburnt fuel smoke and a getting progressively louder chirp to go with the banging clanging noise. .Flexplate looks fine and since that is the only external thing that could maybe make that much noise I think its gonna come out and is likely done. Thinking maybe a piston skirt broke off?

I have a spare engine out of a truck I crashed but its still not going to be cheap or easy. I know I don't have the space or headroom to do it in my garage. Gonna have to ponder if I can do it in the driveway or maybe roll it in and out as needed.

Was a $600 tow for about 70 miles. They were gonna originally pull the trailer back too but their big truck got sent to another job where it then died and the medium truck just wasn't liking the burb plus the trailer so we left the trailer at the tow yard and I came back to get it later with a borrowed truck.

·
Administrator
22,031 Posts
Looks like I am ordering parts and planning the logistics of replacing an engine. Was pulling a trailer down the interstate yesterday with the windows down so it was noisy anyway, Started to get tired of the noise so rolled them up and found out it wasn't just wind and road noise. Went a few more miles into a rest area where it was still running fine with no smoke just loud. Nothing obvious. Shut er down and quick restart no change. After it cooled tried again and its running bad and lots of unburnt fuel smoke and a getting progressively louder chirp to go with the banging clanging noise. .Flexplate looks fine and since that is the only external thing that could maybe make that much noise I think its gonna come out and is likely done. Thinking maybe a piston skirt broke off?

I have a spare engine out of a truck I crashed but its still not going to be cheap or easy. I know I don't have the space or headroom to do it in my garage. Gonna have to ponder if I can do it in the driveway or maybe roll it in and out as needed.

Was a $600 tow for about 70 miles. They were gonna originally pull the trailer back too but their big truck got sent to another job where it then died and the medium truck just wasn't liking the burb plus the trailer so we left the trailer at the tow yard and I came back to get it later with a borrowed truck.
Have you checked the oil for any contaminates/metal frags?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Have you checked the oil for any contaminates/metal frags?
If there is its not bad enough to show on the dipstick but I have not drained it for a more complete look. I don't think it will gain me much if I do it and find something or even if I don't. Its such a loud clank and its got to be internal that I think its coming out. Once its out I will likely tear in a bit just to see and see if its a pile of scrap or maybe something rebuildable to save or sell. I'm not gonna try and pull heads or anything on the bottom while its in the truck. I think its less pain to pull an engine than spend all that extra time bent over. You gotta take the same crap off to get at the top end as you do to pull it so might as well just pull it. Makes it so much easier to deal with things like stuck exhaust manifold bolts. My crossover wasn't in great shape so I just sawzalled it to get the inspection cover off rather than snap off bolts. Maybe if I was still 20 but not these days.

·
Administrator
22,031 Posts
If there is its not bad enough to show on the dipstick but I have not drained it for a more complete look. I don't think it will gain me much if I do it and find something or even if I don't. Its such a loud clank and its got to be internal that I think its coming out. Once its out I will likely tear in a bit just to see and see if its a pile of scrap or maybe something rebuildable to save or sell. I'm not gonna try and pull heads or anything on the bottom while its in the truck. I think its less pain to pull an engine than spend all that extra time bent over. You gotta take the same crap off to get at the top end as you do to pull it so might as well just pull it. Makes it so much easier to deal with things like stuck exhaust manifold bolts. My crossover wasn't in great shape so I just sawzalled it to get the inspection cover off rather than snap off bolts. Maybe if I was still 20 but not these days.
The only things I can think of is either a pissing injector got enough fuel in to slightly bend a rod /crack a piston, breaking the piston skirt or.. Harmonic vibrations from a failed dampener, bending a rod causing the piston skirt to make side contact :unsure:

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
The only things I can think of is either a pissing injector got enough fuel in to slightly bend a rod /crack a piston, breaking the piston skirt or.. Harmonic vibrations from a failed dampener, bending a rod causing the piston skirt to make side contact :unsure:
All that external stuff is fairly fresh and it was intitially running reasonably smooth and smoke free but after cooling off and running for very sort periods its now pretty rough and smoking like crazy. Blowby has a big pulse to it, its not crazy bad but its got a distint pulse to it now so I'm thinking its a piston issue of some sort and its not got enough compression at idle to run. Off idle it still seems to pick it up but it seems like its getting worse fast.

I kinda want to hook it to my scan tool and shut off cylinders to see if its just one but Im also thinking if its only got a minute or two left in it that I would rather use that to turn it around and get it into the garage. With the crossover cut off you can still hear the knock so overall its stupid loud and smoky now. Got to do some serious arranging in the garage and dig the spare engine out. Gonna be a big parts order. At least I have the most expensive parts but the little stuff I'm sure is going to add up. .

·
Registered
844 Posts
Nothing major but gave her a good wax job and tireshine on the vinyl trim and wheels. She's waiting for a new Powermaster starter on the advice of the good folks on this forum.

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Land vehicle Plant
Automotive parking light Plant Tire Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
292 Posts
Your supposed to wash and wax them lol. I don't think mine would know what to do with a wash and a wax.

Reactions: dieselolds

·
Registered
53 Posts
Replaced my door pin bushes. Already done this once with Dorman ones. They lasted about one week. These ones are from Cunningham Machine and come with good reviews. All I can say so far is that I can now drive with the door securely closed and I haven't been able to do that for a while!
Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper Vehicle door

·
Registered
844 Posts
Can't help myself. Dorman. That company is a pestilence. On the IATN forum (International Automotive Technician's Network) they have zero respect. And these guys fix vehicles for a living and know their stuff.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,091 Posts
Today I tracked down a new acdelco 213-337 crankshaft sensor for these trucks on eBay for $125 shipped to my door.They are getting pretty hard to find so I figured I’d grab one before they disappear altogether.

5921 - 5940 of 5967 Posts