Diesel Place banner
5821 - 5840 of 5887 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Chevrolet Silverado C3500. 2018 Silverado 2500HD LT
47 Posts
Nice, but on the 2nd video at time marker 5:13/5:20 is there a knocking noise I was hearing or is that normal.
I don't think it is normal sounding. The knock sounds terrible at idle. I have two threads linked below about it but haven't updated them since I don't know what is causing it. After driving, the noise seems to have characteristics of fuel knock, it goes away when I turn off the #8 injector, #8 rod bearings were replaced, all injectors are new, etc. The only things I haven't looked at are lifter/rocker or IP, haven't done a compression test either.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,876 Posts
Tonight I bought three sets of injector shims from a eBay seller called diesel-parts9000.I mentioned before that I’m planning to check the pop pressure of some injectors I purchased and adjust them if needed if the opening pressure is all over the place so I’m collecting shims to make it right.I have a pop tester that I bought a few years ago from eBay that seems to work well.

Anyway This seller is in Germany and they are 11.5mm diameter with 18 shims per set ranging from 1.0mm to 1.89mm.It looks as though he has quite a few sets available if anyone here is interested in shim kits.Each kit is $11 US dollars I think so it’s definitely a good deal.

·
Premium Member
1995 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 6.5 TD
563 Posts
I don't think it is normal sounding. The knock sounds terrible at idle. I have two threads linked below about it but haven't updated them since I don't know what is causing it. After driving, the noise seems to have characteristics of fuel knock, it goes away when I turn off the #8 injector, #8 rod bearings were replaced, all injectors are new, etc. The only things I haven't looked at are lifter/rocker or IP, haven't done a compression test either.

Could be a wrist pin or a piston pin is another name.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Flatbed is in place, just waiting on some extra mounts to be fabricated and then it'll be ready. Gotta admit, I'm excited to get her back on the road. Still gotta do brake work and u-joints, but that'll wait for a little while.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looked at it and cried.....cant figure out a couple issues so next time I get it started (no gp cycle) its going to the shop

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Been about a week and a half since I drove the Burb. Was mid 20's F and supposed to drop below zero the next day when I probably would need to drive it. Figured I would start it and warm it up good and get all the ice melted off. Cranked normal for being cold and kinda bucked a few times like it was really close. Kept trying and it kept bucking like it was firing on a couple but just wasn't getting any better or closer.

Grabbed an extension cord and while plugging in the block heater noticed something dripping off the cross member. Popped the hood and started looking around. Turns out that the glow plug wires are missing for 1 & 3. Connectors still there. Thick part of harness still there, just the 4 inches of wire between the connector and harness missing. Return hose between #1 injector and hard return line completely soaked with fuel.

Something fricken chewed my wires off. Guessing it chewed the wires off (found them on the ground under the truck) then tried the return line and got a mouth full of diesel and apparently gave up. Wondering if its the same critter that has chewed up a wiring harness in my VW twice this fall?

It was the cloth Mercedes hose and I had enough on hand to replace that. With that fixed and the block heater running I got it started and some heat in the engine so I could work with bare hands to hack the glow wires back in. It barely left any wire sticking out where the glow harness gets thick but I got just enough exposed and stripped to get butt connectors and some scraps of THHN #14 I had laying around.

Gotta wait for temps to get closer to freezing again and get it in the garage for a better repair.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,876 Posts
Today I have the old steering box and power steering pump off my 96 gmc truck.I have the reman Napa steering box ready here in the garage to install along with a new pump.At this time I’ll also install the new Hayden severe duty fan clutch I purchased from rockauto the mid part of this year.

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
.At this time I’ll also install the new Hayden severe duty fan clutch I purchased from rockauto the mid part of this year.
I'm glad that I'm not the only one that buys parts and waits for ever to install them. I think I had my new headlight, marker light and tail light assembles for 6+ months before I put them on.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Got you beat. About 18 months on the new ABS sensors, front axles, and sway links. 6+ months on the stainless hard brake line kit... etc etc etc.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Got you beat. About 18 months on the new ABS sensors, front axles, and sway links. 6+ months on the stainless hard brake line kit... etc etc etc.

Yeah you have me beat. I have 1 glow plug left to replace. Its the one behind the downpipe. My back doesn't do hard surfaces anymore so I can't lay on the driveway to unbolt it from the rest of the system and turbo to get it out of the way. Im getting close to your 18 months on that one. I don't even know where the plug is now. Im hoping that this next weekend I can get it replaced and it will help with the smoke at start up I'm having when its cold.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,876 Posts
I'm glad that I'm not the only one that buys parts and waits for ever to install them. I think I had my new headlight, marker light and tail light assembles for 6+ months before I put them on.
I know what you mean.I think I’m a severe parts hoarder…lol.I have lots and lots of fuel/oil filters,etc.Just last week I picked up two felpro 6.5 head gaskets for $5 each from rockauto….lol.I’ll probably never use them but who knows for sure.

Reactions: LinePilot

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,876 Posts
After getting the steering box off this morning I discovered a sloppy pitman arm as well.It virtually has very little mileage on it and it was greased multiple times since being installed but it didn’t last no time.I reserved one from Napa today on their prolink site.Something like $40.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Well since mother nature finally decided to make it cold out in my part of the world I installed my super high tech weather front( AKA a piece of cardboard). Also think I figured out my block heater problem. I think is got a bad plug on it. If I move it around I loose continuity so I'll have to get a new end for it.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,876 Posts
Last night I purchased some 1/4” npt T fittings and a few more fittings from rockauto to allow me to install a small under hood fuel pressure gauge on each of my 96 trucks.I got two small fuel pressure gauges from Amazon so I’ll probably install it whenever everything arrives.I also have a 93 model year Delphi fuel lift pump I’ve been meaning to install for some time now.

·
Registered
229 Posts

Tied you! About 18 months on new fuel tank/sender....fuel lines, etc.....will get around to it eventually....lol

·
Registered
229 Posts
Been about a week and a half since I drove the Burb. Was mid 20's F and supposed to drop below zero the next day when I probably would need to drive it. Figured I would start it and warm it up good and get all the ice melted off. Cranked normal for being cold and kinda bucked a few times like it was really close. Kept trying and it kept bucking like it was firing on a couple but just wasn't getting any better or closer.

Grabbed an extension cord and while plugging in the block heater noticed something dripping off the cross member. Popped the hood and started looking around. Turns out that the glow plug wires are missing for 1 & 3. Connectors still there. Thick part of harness still there, just the 4 inches of wire between the connector and harness missing. Return hose between #1 injector and hard return line completely soaked with fuel.

Something fricken chewed my wires off. Guessing it chewed the wires off (found them on the ground under the truck) then tried the return line and got a mouth full of diesel and apparently gave up. Wondering if its the same critter that has chewed up a wiring harness in my VW twice this fall?

It was the cloth Mercedes hose and I had enough on hand to replace that. With that fixed and the block heater running I got it started and some heat in the engine so I could work with bare hands to hack the glow wires back in. It barely left any wire sticking out where the glow harness gets thick but I got just enough exposed and stripped to get butt connectors and some scraps of THHN #14 I had laying around.

Gotta wait for temps to get closer to freezing again and get it in the garage for a better repair.
Squirrels?...my brother in Kentucky has squirrels that like to chew on auto wiring......ruined at least 3 wiring harnesses.....a mechanic up there told him that they sometimes use a peanut-based lube when pulling the wires to make the harnesses.....once the critters get a taste of it they can't stop. Lol

·
Premium Member
1995 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 6.5 TD
563 Posts
I do that quite often bought front hubs 7 months ago from RA and they're still in the garage boxed up. I'll get to it this spring.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,876 Posts
Today I’m in the garage getting the reman steering box installed on my 96 gmc.I have it in place now with the new Napa pitman arm.Then it’s onto installing the steering pump and if time allows today the fan clutch and lift pump replacement will follow as well.I checked the lift pump yesterday.It’s very noisy with little flow into a clear container when I bypass the fuel pump relay.It has new fuel filters so no restrictions exist.

A new old stock acdelco pump made back in the 90s will replace it.At least something that’s American made will finally see it’s way back onto the truck👍

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,876 Posts
As of this morning the 96 gmc truck is back together with the parts I bought.Absolutely no issues or leaks that I can see.The power steering filter is in place so the warranty won’t be void in case of problems later on.The new lift pump is doing a good job of pushing fuel so I’m happy with that.I relocated the fuel pump in 2015 further back toward the tank and I lengthened the pump harness to reach the new fuel pump location.

I still have a few more things I’d like to do with it.The airbag clock spring arrived from eBay a couple days ago so I’d like to install that and a new transfer case motor I bought quite a long time ago…lol.I’d say I bought it about 4 years ago and it’s still not installed…lol

5821 - 5840 of 5887 Posts