Diesel Place banner
5761 - 5771 of 5771 Posts

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,628 Posts
At the start of this summer I decided to change out my antifreeze, decided to go with John Deere's "Cool Gard II" - since it was so expensive I was sure it had to be concentrate.

Fast forward to today.
Flushed the system 5 times with distilled water and when I opened the John Deere liquid I saw it was indeed not concentrate.

So I tried to locate my drain plugs on the block - they were both behind the motor mounts. Unbolted the starter and knocked a freeze plug out. Spent the whole evening trying to knock a new (steel) freeze plug in the block.

1/10 not a good experience.
I know what you mean.Darn drain plugs are a definite pain on those.On another note I ran into problems on a 08 5.4 triton last week when installing a new manifold so I noticed a broken manifold stud in the rear lower section of the driver side cylinder head and well recessed into the head.There was no getting it out.

A drill bit was cracked off in the middle and I tried multiple times welding on it to build it up with flat washers being welded on that and a nut on top after that so I ended up drilling a new hole just above the broken stud area and made a 5/16 stud and drilled/tapped for that and redrilled the manifold to accept the new stud location.It was a risky repair as the new stud location is within a water jacket but there are no leaks after putting permatex steel weld epoxy to the stud threads before entering the cylinder head.

Reactions: LinePilot and 56pan

·
Registered
218 Posts
Got parts in to replace my starter yesterday and got it replaced today. Sounds so much better and cranks alot faster. Also changed oil while I had it up on the hoist.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Finished most of the wiring for my electronic to mechanical IP swap. Have to do the remaining glow plug wiring, the solenoids on the IP to swap & bolting the essentials to test fire the engine.

I'm going to run it the engine without valve covers to check for an annoying tick.
If it all is well, I will mount the cooling system and begin testing the transmission to make sure I did everything right with the TCM.

Also had to fabricobble this thing together to remove the hb that i didn't replace. Pictures are about a month old, I'll post updated pictures soon.

Attachments

Reactions: 56pan and LinePilot

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,628 Posts
Yesterday I put another stanadyne grey pmd with blue heat sink into place on my 96 gmc.The prior grey pmd had virtually very little use but was causing a stalling issue at times with some fish biting but as of now it’s okay again with the new replacement installed.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,628 Posts
Today I noticed the lift pump on my 96 gmc a little on the noisy side.I shut the truck off and restarted it but I had trouble getting it to run at first and then P0251 appeared for the first time ever owning this truck.I could hear the noisy pump no problem when the truck started so I’m thinking it’s on its last leg although it hasn’t had much useage and it’s also an acdelco unit but it’s clearly getting bad.I cleared the code and I didn’t have a single issue after that but a pocket of air must have made its way into the injection pump because of the lift pump giving me grief but it worked it’s way out.

So I found a new old stock EP158 acdelco pump made in the USA manufactured back in the 90’s for around the $160 mark shipped to my door on eBay so it should be fine once it’s installed.

·
Super Moderator Eco-Logistical
4,303 Posts

·
Premium Member
1995 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 6.5 TD
489 Posts
Well today I took went and got my batteries tested again. Had them tested where they actually drain and recharge it... needless to say I bought 2 new batteries. That and It would not start a few weeks ago with the radio on for about 15 min.

Also found out that my 8th digit of my vin is F.
For what its worth...I had that exact same problem with my 99 Denali gasser. The batteries were draining down after 15min of radio playin in accessories position. Finally after my $400 dry cell was drained I pulled the batt cables checked them out and found corrosion down inside the insulation. Then replaced them all and haven't had a issue since

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,628 Posts
Today three 2 gauge battery cables arrived from rockauto.I plan to use these as heavy duty ground straps for my 96 gmc truck.I have two shorter cables and one longer cable but I think it’ll do the job nicely.I have ground straps in place at the moment but they are pretty skimpy so I plan to change them soon.

Attachments

5761 - 5771 of 5771 Posts