Diesel Place banner
5741 - 5760 of 5771 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
I've had pretty good luck with Rock Auto for parts for my antique.

Reactions: dieselolds

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,628 Posts
I've had pretty good luck with Rock Auto for parts for my antique.
RA is a good place to order parts from.I’ve been doing so the past 7-8 years.

·
Registered
202 Posts
RA is a good place to order parts from.I’ve been doing so the past 7-8 years.
They usually have what I need and I don't mind waiting a few days for shipping. If I am in a bind and need it today, then, not so much.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My PMD relocation harness crapped out on me today. Thought my lift pump went, but jumped the ops outer pins and she started pumping. Decided to pull the original stanadyne grey out of the glove box and plug it into the extension harness.... no luck. Then decided to plug it directly into the factory harness and VROOM! I'll have to buy a new extension harness to the front bumper, but at least she's running. I've got the pmd zip tied in the engine bay... hoping it lasts until I get a new harness. Gotta go pick up my new (to me) Mac toolbox in the morning. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1996 Chevrolet Silverado C3500. 2018 Silverado 2500HD LT
40 Posts
Doing some long neglected maintenance, poking around in the valley I found the FFM drain port connected to the IP and the OUT port connected to the t-valve drain. Also found this sticker on the DS-5521S, which reads 05/28/10.

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ordered my new pmd relocation cable from quadstar running today. Threw in a pair of resistors and a high idle wire just because. I'll install my new old style pmd harness when everything gets here. That way I don't have to alter any keyways.

·
Registered
202 Posts
It had been a while since servicing the old 4L80E....so it got a new Acdelco TF249 filter and fresh Dexron III fluid. The magnetic drain plug hardly had anything on it and no debris in the pan. (y)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Doing some long neglected maintenance, poking around in the valley I found the FFM drain port connected to the IP and the OUT port connected to the t-valve drain. Also found this sticker on the DS-5521S, which reads 05/28/10.
Am thinking it is a good thing you found the fuel lines backwards.....somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the fuel coming out of the drain port unfiltered...that is, before the filter?

Reactions: paleyjim

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well, the other night she died on me, so I had to cool off the temporary PMD that was in the engine bay... just poured water on it to cool it off and she fired right back up and got me home...
So I installed the new relocation cable from Quadstar (super nice quality, by the way) the next morning and just plugged it into the old harness at the pump since I was short on time. I'll install the new harness soon.. . Maybe. But she ran great the 10 miles to work and in the several days since. I just took her on a 2 hour round trip and she was perfect. I need to set time aside to install the new flatbed, crossmember, brake lines, axles, sway links, ABS....etc.
In the meantime, I pulled the toolboxes off the bed in preparation for the flat bed swap... she looks naked.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had a "test" drive after having the truck stationary for about half a year now. It was an almost 8 hour round trip with hills. At least I got to pick up two almost fully dressed 6.5 engines (for free!) on the way. Had them both in the bed and noticed the temp gauges started to climb a little on the hill climbs.

I'm probably going to make a post or two about the engines. One is a 98 with a 506 squirter block. The second one is a 99, also 506 squirter block. Fingers crossed, hoping for at least one of them to be crack free.

Reactions: 56pan

·
Registered
267 Posts
OK, I tried replacing the automatic transmission's steering column shift part with a used one. The stupid used one broke exactly the same way! What is it made out of, Pot Metal? And what's a part that WON'T break if I just use a HAMMER on it to try removing a part on it?

(I was trying to gain access to all of the gears, by putting on a part from my old column shifter.)

For reference, I'm talking about THIS part below. The part below is a Dorman, unlike the G.M. piece of trash part I bought. I'm a bit too irritated to think a lot more about this too much right now.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Finally pulled the System One ladder rack in preparation for pulling the bed to do some work and install the new flatbed. Gonna list the rack for sale and see what it's worth. My truck looks so naked now.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Wow!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Went to pick up a parts car 2 hours away on Wednesday. Made it home with no issues. And tonight while I was at work, a friend made a little push plate accessory...

·
Registered
370 Posts
Swapped in 4.10 gears in my suburban. What a difference from the 3.42’s! Especially with the G-80 now in it. I drive it mostly back roads and in the woods. Now it will shift into overdrive at 48 mph instead of 55. The only problem is speedometer is reading 10 mph faster than actual ( 285 tires ). Does anyone have a vssb for 4.10 gears? Don’t feel like spending 150 for one and don’t have the skills for soldering to change my configuration.

Reactions: Babin Farms

·
Administrator
19,886 Posts
Does anyone have a vssb for 4.10 gears? Don’t feel like spending 150 for one and don’t have the skills for soldering to change my configuration.
Post a wanted ad in the Marketplace for more attention (y)

·
Registered
62 Posts
At the start of this summer I decided to change out my antifreeze, decided to go with John Deere's "Cool Gard II" - since it was so expensive I was sure it had to be concentrate.

Fast forward to today.
Flushed the system 5 times with distilled water and when I opened the John Deere liquid I saw it was indeed not concentrate.

So I tried to locate my drain plugs on the block - they were both behind the motor mounts. Unbolted the starter and knocked a freeze plug out. Spent the whole evening trying to knock a new (steel) freeze plug in the block.

1/10 not a good experience.

5741 - 5760 of 5771 Posts