Diesel Place banner
5721 - 5740 of 5771 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Pulled the starter and all 8 glow plugs today.

Planning on installing the new starter and some Bosch Duraterms next weekend.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,628 Posts
The front acdelco park brake cable on my 96 Chevy is now on and partially adjusted on the equalizer.Just needs another few turns on that and the brake will hold okay.

Tommorrow I’m picking up a set of white letter 245/75R16 cooper evolution tires for the same truck.I’m having them mounted on some black helo wheels.

·
Registered
1996 Chevrolet Silverado C3500. 2018 Silverado 2500HD LT
40 Posts
Yesterday and today, new pitman shaft seal. It is nice to be able to run the truck without a steady drip. Certainly makes a mess when using the pump pressure to remove the old seal.

Also did a first pass cleaning the firewall, after removing most of the crumbling original insulation. I have some heat resistant insulation to install near the downpipe location.

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
"Also did a first pass cleaning the firewall, after removing most of the crumbling original insulation." Did that to mine a few months ago. With that old crumbling insulation gone there is now a nice wide gap between the engine and the firewall.....air can now circulate around the back of the engine freely....not sure if it will help make the back 2 cylinders any cooler but can't hurt anything I guess. Can't tell any difference in noise or heat in the cab either so I will leave it be.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Today I did some maintenance on the ole wiper/washer system....replaced the nozzles with some new Dorman units and a new Acdelco pump from RA. Decided to reuse the old hoses as they were still pliable and no cracks. Had to replace a hose coupler that broke. Blew out the lines and cleaned the washer bottle. She is spraying good again(y)

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,628 Posts
Heading to get the black helo wheels mounted and balanced on the cooper tires I bought a few days ago.Hoping to get this 96 Chevy truck painted this month.I also purchased a new master cylinder and bleeder kit from rockauto for the same truck.

The brake seems okay but the master cylinder has a unknown history as it’s not the original that came with the truck and I don’t know how much useage it’s had so I’m just going to throw it out and go with a new unit from rockauto.

Reactions: LinePilot

·
Premium Member
1995 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 6.5 TD
489 Posts
Heading to get the black helo wheels mounted and balanced on the cooper tires I bought a few days ago.Hoping to get this 96 Chevy truck painted this month.I also purchased a new master cylinder and bleeder kit from rockauto for the same truck.

The brake seems okay but the master cylinder has a unknown history as it’s not the original that came with the truck and I don’t know how much useage it’s had so I’m just going to throw it out and go with a new unit from rockauto.
Better to change it out before it possibly starts to leak. The leak if any could take out your hydro-boost. Break fluid is a corrosive liquid. My mater cylinder started leaking and got into the from piston sealon the hydro-boost and it failed. FYI

·
Registered
62 Posts
Spent a good 2 hours trying to get the last of the four bolts on the dual thermostat housing off today. Gave me a huge headache, found out that the last bolt on the housing, that's placed in a tough-to-get-to spot, was a 17mm and not a 15mm like the three others. Finally got it off.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,628 Posts
Better to change it out before it possibly starts to leak. The leak if any could take out your hydro-boost. Break fluid is a corrosive liquid. My mater cylinder started leaking and got into the from piston sealon the hydro-boost and it failed. FYI
Yes absolutely.I plan to take the old master cylinder off ASAP.The last thing I need is hydro boost problems 👍

Reactions: truckr65

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,628 Posts
Spent a good 2 hours trying to get the last of the four bolts on the dual thermostat housing off today. Gave me a huge headache, found out that the last bolt on the housing, that's placed in a tough-to-get-to spot, was a 17mm and not a 15mm like the three others. Finally got it off.
I’ve seen that sort of thing happen many times before.A lot of the 10mm metric bolts at a local industrial parts place in my area has 17mm hex heads on them.Quite a pain in the butt to remove in tight areas.

Reactions: truckr65

·
Premium Member
1995 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 6.5 TD
489 Posts
Replaced my front pads & rotors. Left brake pads were at 1.8". The right received the metal/metal award the guide pins were dryer than death valley. Strange thing is didn't hear any noise found it when rotating tires. The brake kit came with new guide pin seals, so pulled guide pin bushings out replaced seals and lubed guide pins and bushings. Had a brain freeze on how to remove the bushings but remembered after posting for assistance. Everything went back together great and test drive was good.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Bought a used Cadet flatbed for my 2000 K3500. Gotta sell my bed and rack and boxes now, but I'll probably end up even or ahead on the deal. My bed is in great shape with the exception of the crossmembers, which are easily replaced once the bed is off. Funny how they rotted before anything else did. P.O. ripped some pressure treated to take their place. Worked, but I really need a flatbed for the stuff I haul. Hopefully I'll be able to do the swap in the next week or two. Gonna replace the rotted front fuel tank crossmember while the bed is off.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,628 Posts
Just put a new chrome grill in my 96 gmc.Not just the center section but the entire front assembly.It looks good and all but I’ll upload a picture of the install tomorrow since it’s raining here tonight.I had to make a couple adjustments to both composite headlight brackets.It wasn’t a simple bolt on assembly.It took me a couple hrs to get it right.

·
Registered
1996 Chevrolet Silverado C3500. 2018 Silverado 2500HD LT
40 Posts
Not just today, more like what have I done lately:
-most of the way through front brake replacement, except lines. Driver's side caliper was frozen. Waiting on the right side dust shield to be shipped.
-Dorman 924-229 dust shields didn't fit, I had to return them and buy GM genuine. (JB8 brake RPO)
-new shocks
-stabilizer bar links and bushings
-have the right inner fender out for exhaust, injectors, coolant hoses, EGT gauge install, maybe some more stuff I am forgetting..... so I figured I'd paint it

Attachments

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,628 Posts
Here’s a picture of the chrome 94-00 gmc chrome grill from eBay I installed a couple days ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yesterday I raised my FFM using threaded rod and iron pipe. Now the fuel hoses are out from under the IM. Installed a new EP158 LP and Acdelco OPS, along with a LP relay harness with WTS priming. Next step is to drop the fuel tank and install a new one with a new Acdelco sending unit with the correct sock, along with new fuel lines from the tank. Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive fuel system Hood

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,628 Posts
Today I put some POR-15 gloss black sealer on the cab floor of my 96 Chevy.I covered the entire floor to pave the way for the maroon carpet I’m planning to install.Hoping to start working on the body soon to get it ready for paint.

Just cluing up some loose ends before I’m able to start on it.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,628 Posts
A couple days ago a pair of front bumper guards arrived from China on eBay for my 96 gmc truck.They fit perfectly with no issue.The total cost was just over $100 shipped to my location.

Attachments

·
Registered
765 Posts
And for the other side of the coin: I ordered the rear bumper hard plastic black step guards that fit over the chrome bumper from LMC truck. chinese. And in my lifetime I have never seen such badly manufactured, ill-fitting (actually no-fitting) trash manufacturing. I'm glad the chinese parts worked for you. My truck being a '93, it's getting very difficult to find any parts left that are US made. But I do try.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,628 Posts
And for the other side of the coin: I ordered the rear bumper hard plastic black step guards that fit over the chrome bumper from LMC truck. chinese. And in my lifetime I have never seen such badly manufactured, ill-fitting (actually no-fitting) trash manufacturing. I'm glad the chinese parts worked for you. My truck being a '93, it's getting very difficult to find any parts left that are US made. But I do try.
Rockauto I’m pretty sure sells those pieces your referring to.I was going to buy those rear bumper guards for my 96 gmc as it has a aftermarket chrome bumper out back with the top plastic step guard covering the full thing but it didn’t include the black guards that go below it.Yes I have to say the front bumper guards fit 100% perfectly.

5721 - 5740 of 5771 Posts