Diesel Place banner
5701 - 5720 of 5748 Posts

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,552 Posts
On Monday I’ll probably change the oil on both of my 6.2/6.5 trucks with some rotella 30W monograde oil and of course use acdelco oil filters.I purchased a 18.9L pail of the rotella 30W for $65 which I think was a decent price.I don’t use my trucks during the winter months so the 30W will do nicely during this time of the year up until late October into November.

One thing I might do tomorrow is use some mother’s leather conditioner on the seats of my 96 gmc.The seats are brand new for the most part but I like using the conditioner at least once a month to keep it up to par.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,552 Posts
On Monday I’ll probably change the oil on both of my 6.2/6.5 trucks with some rotella 30W monograde oil and of course use acdelco oil filters.I purchased a 18.9L pail of the rotella 30W for $65 which I think was a decent price.I don’t use my trucks during the winter months so the 30W will do nicely during this time of the year up until late October into November.

One thing I might do tomorrow is use some mother’s leather conditioner on the seats of my 96 gmc.The seats are brand new for the most part but I like using the conditioner at least once a month to keep it up to par.
Today I did get the new backing plates and axle seals in place along with the bendix brand preassembled brake shoe kit.It already comes assembled in the box and you just put your holding pins through the backing plates along with the hold down springs and that’s pretty much it.The kit also included new wheel cylinders.I have all that in place along with the acdelco park brake cables.

I bought a new main cable from the pedal assembly but I’ve misplaced it somewhere.So it’s a trip to Napa to buy one from them.It’s the 55-1/2” length for standard cab trucks.It’s only $56 or so but I’ll find the misplaced cable when I’m not expecting it.

I also bought an acdelco rear axle cover with magnet included and a felpro gasket.I picked up some pennzoil 80W90 GL5 so the truck is coming together.Just a matter of heading to Napa to get a couple brake lines for the rear axle area along with a bolt kit for the rear cover as the heads of the old bolts are almost rounded off.

The drums are practically new.I replaced them a few years ago but the truck has been sitting pretty much at a standstill since then.

Attachments

Reactions: OkDually

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,552 Posts
Maybe in the next little while I’ll start prepping the body.The taillights and brake lights don’t work so I need to check that problem soon.The brake and body work I’m doing is upon the 96 K1500 Chevy with the 99 6.5 good wrench van engine.It’ll be nice when it’s all said and done.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,552 Posts
One other thing I need to pick up are some braided ground straps to make the connection between the cab and chassis and engine to the cab.I’ll see what Napa has tomorrow when I pick up my online order from today.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Crawled under the rear of the truck while backing up to my little utility trailer to replace the plate light bulbs. Of course the passenger side crumbles into razor sharp shards when I touch it.... then I blow the fuse while pulling the remants out... so over to my audi a4 to steal a 15 amp micro fuse.... and then I can't find where I put the new bulbs.... so 15 minutes of tearing apart the cab... they were in the glove box... then 10 seconds to install and hooray! Then hook up to the utility trailer with the engine hoist in it and a 5 minute job that took half an hour is complete. Gonna load up a couple Audi 1.8t engines to bring over to my 24ft enclosed trailer/ workshop at work so I can clean up the driveway. The neighbors are giving me looks. I think the brakes are next on the list....

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Noticed a funny smell comming from under the hood. Comes from the batteries, went closer to inspect. One of the less than 2 year old batteries where very hot after low amp charging and the other battery shows 0.7 volts.

Time to find the reciept again I suppose.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Over the last few days I got PT Wiring's battery cables and glowplug harnesses installed (waiting on 2 new glowplugs in the mail before I button it all back up), and installed a Fluidamper. I wasn't sure if my balancer had ever been replaced, with 193k on the truck. Turns out the one that was on it appears to be a fairly new Dorman piece. I went ahead and installed the Fluidamper anyway.
Finally, I'm in the middle of Leroy's oil cooler lines. Got the factory lines off, but haven't started connecting the new ones yet. My factory lines were all leaking from the crimp/compression connections.

Next up, Spicer U-Joints, replace rear diff lube and add a LubeLocker cover gasket, install the PT Wiring Carter lift pump upgrade and relay harness, and tackle my door hinge pins (yikes!). I'm slowly getting this truck fully sorted, but it's a process :)

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,552 Posts
Just installed some new blue coloured splined lug nuts on my 96 blue gmc with the 6.2 660 engine.I bought these lug nuts maybe a year ago from eBay.But today I figured it was time to get the ball rolling.

Attachments

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
You could park that truck in detroit and the wheels would still be there several months later. You'd only have to replace all of the windows and ignition locks.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,552 Posts
Anyway it’s back in the garage getting ready to bleed the rear brakes on my 96 Chevy.I put new brake lines across the rear axle along with a new flex hose above the pumpkin area.The new axle cover is in place as well.Just waiting for the ultra black to completely cure before I put the gear oil in.

Still waiting for the front main cable to arrive from Napa.Should be here in a few days.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
What brake fluid did you put back in? Dot 4 or 3?

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,552 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
93 dually. Replaced tailgate lights with led’s.

picked up a 97 C2500 a few weeks ago, since the motor is bad in the dually. Gonna replace but got this truck way too cheap to pass up. Anyways put in an B&W gooseneck hitch in today only to nick the rear hard line. So gotta replace that next. Truck has a plastic liner and was plesantly surprised in the condition of the bed.

·
Premium Member
1995 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 6.5 TD
446 Posts

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,552 Posts
I thought DOT 3 & 4 were basically the same and can be used mixed together
I never did check to see if that could be possible.I just always put in whatever is recommended or specified by the vehicle manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
1995 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 6.5 TD
446 Posts
I never did check to see if that could be possible.I just always put in whatever is recommended or specified by the vehicle manufacturer.
I have always done the same as you. Use what is specified by dealer but I read that 3&4 can be mixed.

Reactions: dieselolds

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Dot 3 and 4 can be mixed with no problems. They are the same fluid except DOT 4 has a higher boiling point.
Never mix DOT 5. It will gel up and you may end up replacing all the hydraulics in the brake system.
It is always best to stick with the recommended spec fluid.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,552 Posts
Dot 3 and 4 can be mixed with no problems. They are the same fluid except DOT 4 has a higher boiling point.
Never mix DOT 5. It will gel up and you may end up replacing all the hydraulics in the brake system.
It is always best to stick with the recommended spec fluid.
I believe dot 5 is a silicone based fluid.It’s also a different colour from what I’ve seen.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Pulled the seal connecting the 4x4 front axle shaft to the transfer case today.

I used a little bit more violence and creativity to rip that bastard out than I hoped I would, but got it out in the end.

Sanded down the burrs I made in the process.

I hope installing the new seal won't be as much trouble.... fingers crossed.

Reactions: Babin Farms

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,552 Posts
Fedex arrived today with the acdelco main park brake cable for my 96 Chevy so hoping to get back at it sometime tomorrow.

5701 - 5720 of 5748 Posts