Diesel Place banner

5621 - 5640 of 5641 Posts

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,282 Posts
And a stroke of good luck that you kept control of it.
I kept calm anyway...lol.At first I thought someone shattered the windshield but when I spotted the bedliner about 20ft away from the truck i knew what had happened.

Reactions: 56pan and OkDually

·
Registered
172 Posts
I pulled the trans, again, in my 93 today because I burned up the 3rd gear clutches.I just had it rebuilt too.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,282 Posts
I pulled the trans, again, in my 93 today because I burned up the 3rd gear clutches.I just had it rebuilt too.
I know the feeling.I’ve been there once before.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
235 Posts
did this a couple weeks ago but first time back at a computer.... I took out my front bench seat that had over time been set to "laidback lowrider" mode with no other option. Pulled back the cover to find torn metal at multiple points. Ratchet strapped the seat back to normal and welded on some scrap metal to keep it all in place while I contemplate retrofitting newer buckets.
IMG_20200913_180409.jpg IMG_20200913_180416.jpg yuck

IMG_20200913_183336.jpg better yuck (heat shield is there just to keep things from catching fire) My back is a million times happier.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Looks like there's been a couple of amps going through here...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Looks like there's been a couple of amps going through here...
Yikes! My favorite setup is prethread a nut on a bolt all the way up (3/8 coarse) 1.5-2" bolt and thread the bolt all the way in the battery and then back the nut down to tighten it along with plenty of grease everywhere. This ensures full thread engagement and never any stripped lugs on your battery and no stripped 5/16 post bolt heads. Factory cable sleeve need to be altered for this some.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,282 Posts
Yikes! My favorite setup is prethread a nut on a bolt all the way up (3/8 coarse) 1.5-2" bolt and thread the bolt all the way in the battery and then back the nut down to tighten it along with plenty of grease everywhere. This ensures full thread engagement and never any stripped lugs on your battery and no stripped 5/16 post bolt heads. Factory cable sleeve need to be altered for this some.
I do the same thing with my batteries.It definitely keep things tight against the battery post.I started doing this about 20 years ago.

·
Registered
136 Posts
When I replaced my batteries recently I did that too.

·
Registered
235 Posts
When I replaced my batteries recently I did that too.
What! Stainless steel nuts and bolts?! Hey! Look gus! We got ourselves a real moneybags over here!! :p j/k, but seriously, does that help corrosion? My sandwich usualy goes on with LOTS of sauce. I usually have dielectric on hand but I hear vasaline works well too. Anyways, very clean job there!

·
Registered
136 Posts
" but seriously, does that help corrosion?" Yes, it does. And those are new AGM batteries (call me moneybags again! LOL) But seriously, since AGM batteries don't emit corrosive gases like regular flooded cell batteries corrosion shouldn't be much of a problem anyway. Went with the SS hardware because I more than likely will never have to replace them again. (y)

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,282 Posts
Nice job on the terminals linepilot👍That’s how I usually do mine as well.Cant beat full thread engagement into the battery post with a 3/8” bolt.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Nice job on the terminals linepilot👍That’s how I usually do mine as well.Cant beat full thread engagement into the battery post with a 3/8” bolt.
Thank you sir. That double positive terminal was always hard to keep tight without stripping the battery post or rounding off the head on the battery stud.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,282 Posts
Been having a intermittent starter problem on my 96 Chevy truck in that the overrunning clutch in the starter doesn’t fully engage into the flex plate until after several attempts turning the ignition to crank mode so tomorrow I’m thinking of putting a 1mm shim in place which I think will solve this problem.It has a new aftermarket atp flex plate just put in last year when i put the goodwrench engine in place.I probably should have shopped around for a genuine GM flexplate but it probably would have resulted in the same thing.

You can hear the solenoid click repeatedly with each turn of the ignition but I believe the shim will make the difference.This has happened with both a brand new starter and a good used starter.Both having the same result.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,282 Posts
Thank you sir. That double positive terminal was always hard to keep tight without stripping the battery post or rounding off the head on the battery stud.
Your welcome 👍

Reactions: LinePilot

·
Premium Member
1995 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 6.5 TD
214 Posts
I ordered just over $400 in parts last night through rockauto for my 96 Chevy 6.5 such as filters,tail light lenses and mirrors along with axle seals and park brake parts.I also picked up a set of new rear shocks,etc
what brand shocks did you purchase?

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
did this a couple weeks ago but first time back at a computer.... I took out my front bench seat that had over time been set to "laidback lowrider" mode with no other option. Pulled back the cover to find torn metal at multiple points. Ratchet strapped the seat back to normal and welded on some scrap metal to keep it all in place while I contemplate retrofitting newer buckets.
View attachment 637171 View attachment 637172 yuck

View attachment 637173 better yuck (heat shield is there just to keep things from catching fire) My back is a million times happier.
Looks good

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
If i may ask what did it run to rebuild? Was it a complete rebuild?

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,282 Posts
what brand shocks did you purchase?
I bought the FCS brand which was a economy shock absorber for the rear.It has new front Monroe shocks up front that was put on maybe 2 yrs ago.

Reactions: Dadddyoh

·
Registered
172 Posts
I finished reinstalling my transmission after burning up 3rd gear clutches. The center support bolt broke and 3rd gear lost pressure, while I was towing. This caused 3rd to slip under load. Fun times. At least the trans repair only cost me $60 and I only spent $40 on ATF. The beast is back. My mechanical 6.5 with the new LP and marine injectors is pretty fast compared to the rest of the fleet. I missed driving it.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,282 Posts
Interesting on seeing the Center support bolt break.Glad to see it didn’t cost much to repair the problem 👍

5621 - 5640 of 5641 Posts