Diesel Place banner

5601 - 5620 of 5641 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
I got my 97 C3500HD running again. I thought I needed to replace the IP. I started to take the intake apart and noticed a crack in the cover on the PMD. I barely poked at it and it came off exposing the circuitry. With the harness exposed, I unplugged the PMD and took the one off of my 96 and put it on my 97 and it cranked right up. I have run 3 miles so far and it runs great. I just ordered leroy's PMD kit to fix this truck once and for all.

Once I get back my brake pedal goes to the floor. The brake line that runs from the ABS to the brake lock had a hole in it. It was rusted pretty bad. Probably from sitting for alomst a year over the dirt. I replaced the line and got all the air out. Not easy with a mico brake lock in the system. Now it runs and is ready to go. I will do a complete brake line replacement later on.

Reactions: dieselolds and pahl

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,282 Posts
I got my 97 C3500HD running again. I thought I needed to replace the IP. I started to take the intake apart and noticed a crack in the cover on the PMD. I barely poked at it and it came off exposing the circuitry. With the harness exposed, I unplugged the PMD and took the one off of my 96 and put it on my 97 and it cranked right up. I have run 3 miles so far and it runs great. I just ordered leroy's PMD kit to fix this truck once and for all.

Once I get back my brake pedal goes to the floor. The brake line that runs from the ABS to the brake lock had a hole in it. It was rusted pretty bad. Probably from sitting for alomst a year over the dirt. I replaced the line and got all the air out. Not easy with a mico brake lock in the system. Now it runs and is ready to go. I will do a complete brake line replacement later on.
A guy I knew from a few years ago had problems with his 6.5 DS4 with stalling and one of the pmd wiring connector pins was pushed back whenever the pmd was reconnected.The fix of course was a new harness.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
172 Posts
That is a good point, but in this case it is definitely a bad PMD. I used the harness from my 96 to do the test on my 97.

Reactions: dieselolds

·
Registered
172 Posts
I received my PMD kit from Leroy today. I installed it on my 97 and reinstalled the PMD on my 96 that I removed for testing purposes. I now have all my trucks up and running again. It is a big relief. I depend on having a reliable back up vehicle. A lot of fixes and projects take more than one evening and I still need to go to work or the parts store.

Most people don't understand how having only 1 vehicle is stressful, but when you do your own repairs and have older vehicles, it becomes very stressful to not have a backup.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,282 Posts
Stressful indeed only having one vehicle to rely on.I have a couple diesel cars and two 6.5 trucks that are ready whenever I need them along with a 09 Montana van so I’m good in regard to vehicles but it takes quite a bit of cash to keep them all running.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well, not today, but tomorrow morning... I've got the morning off, so I'll be installing the new tank and sender and the new Leroy pre-LP filter kit. Fingers crossed that it'll go smoothly, but I already noticed the bolts they included don't fit the filter base. I'll have a full review once everything's in place and running for a bit.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
Ok, got the new tank in and the rubber lines attached to the sender. Just gotta install the Leroy pre LP filter system and run hose to the return line up at the intake. Anyone have the Leroy system installed? Where exactly did you mount it? Thx in advance.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Went to start the '95 couple days ago and the starter kinda drug a little bit, never does that. Sure enough one of the batteries was bad. Installed a fresh set of AGM batteries and did the battery cable mod using SS bolts, lock washers, washers and nuts. Really solid connection. Also cut the rubber off the lugs on the factory cables for better connection. Looking real hard at upgrading to the PTWiring 2/0 cables soon.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Watched it sit outside and rust.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Waited for my 5/16" hose barb splice to get here. Nobody in town had one. I wanted to support my local hardware stores, but all 3 had next to nothing on the shelves. Ordered it from West Marine, of all places. That's all that's holding me up. Guess I could have dropped the tank again and bought a full length house to go from engine bay return line to sender, but...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Watched it sit outside and rust.
I know that one all too well. I have some trucks for sale and they don't get used much. I had to drive my 96 today to keep the brakes from rusting together. I just did all the brakes but it is so damn humid down here. It does not take long.

Reactions: Tr00b

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,282 Posts
Today I put a new acdelco positive battery cable upon the starter on my 96 Chevy 6.5.I had a problem with a intermittent clicking noise from the starter and it wouldn’t crank the engine so I figured a new cable would be beneficial.Rockauto wanted $42 for that cable which is where I bought it vs $160 at my local GM dealer.Absolutely ridiculous.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Installed a heavy duty headlight harness w/relays, along with a set of Philips H6054LED sealed beam replacement headlights. Kind of pricey but an improvement over the stock sealed beams. Dash lights are brighter too.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Something is very wrong with this engine. No engine power when limping it back home, when attempting to increase rpm the the engine would knock loudly. Slowly lost rpm with a big cloud of blue/black smoke in driveway, today it doesn't attempt to fire one cylinder but creates a very noticable grinding noise when attempting to crank engine. Noise is like you put the teeth of a sawblade on the flexplate tabs and then crank. And it's not the starter or flexplate.
Has engine oil.
I have a video, but the noise doesn't do justice with the mic on the phone.

·
Administrator
16,936 Posts
Something is very wrong with this engine. No engine power when limping it back home, when attempting to increase rpm the the engine would knock loudly. Slowly lost rpm with a big cloud of blue/black smoke in driveway, today it doesn't attempt to fire one cylinder but creates a very noticable grinding noise when attempting to crank engine. Noise is like you put the teeth of a sawblade on the flexplate tabs and then crank. And it's not the starter or flexplate.
Has engine oil.
I have a video, but the noise doesn't do justice with the mic on the phone.

Broken crankshaft?:unsure::confused:
Start a new thread in the 6.5L section for the issue, and others can chime in (y)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
That sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Drive it for the first time since the new tank and sender and lift pump and external filter, etc. Nice and dry underneath now. I do believe a new crossover and turbo are in my future now.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,282 Posts
I ordered just over $400 in parts last night through rockauto for my 96 Chevy 6.5 such as filters,tail light lenses and mirrors along with axle seals and park brake parts.I also picked up a set of new rear shocks,etc

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,282 Posts
This morning I brought my 96 Chevy truck with the 6.5 van engine to my local glass shop to have a new windshield installed.Its been badly broken for a few years now and I figured it’s time to get it replaced.Its a step anyway in getting this truck road ready.

What happened was that a gust of wind got under the bedliner with the tailgate down and it actually caused the liner to be lifted upward and it flipped over the cab of the truck directly upon the windshield and put several big cracks on it.Definately a stroke of bad luck that day for sure.

Reactions: 56pan

·
Registered
653 Posts
And a stroke of good luck that you kept control of it.

5601 - 5620 of 5641 Posts