Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
I picked up a tube of CRC limited slip additive for my 96 6.5 truck with the G80 3.73 out back.It has new gear oil in it but thought I’d pick up the additive.
Dont know if you know this or not but your not supposed to use additive with a G80. You should use just regular GL-5 oil. Here is a portion of a GM TSB stating what happens when it is used and what to use.

LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL LUBRICANT (SERVICE INFORMATION) #91-4-109
SUBJECT: LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL (G80) LUBRICANT - (SERVICE INFORMATION)
VEHICLES AFFECTED: ALL LIGHT TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH G80 REAR AXLE ALL YEARS
Some light duty trucks equipped with locking rear axles (G80) may exhibit rear axle chatter, especially when turning a corner from a stop.
This condition of alternate engagement and disengagement of clutches in differential assembly is usually caused by contaminated axle lubricant.
To correct this condition, drain and refill the rear axle with SAE 80W-90 GL5 (P/N 10950849).

The use of any additive in locking rear axles (G80) is not recommended. Rear axle additives are designed for use in limited slip differentials which are normally installed in cars. All light duty trucks equipped with RPO G80 make use of a locking differential and the use of additives will delay the engagement of the locking mechanism and may decrease axle life.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on that.
No problem. Another forum I'm on every once and a while there is a heated debate on what to use with what type of carrier you have. It is burned into my memory now lol.

Reactions: dieselolds

·
Registered
297 Posts
Last night replaced A/C compressor and associated parts. Have a 700 mile trip coming up next month and now its crunch time to get things that are not working or up to spec fixed. Hoping next weekend I can get the balancer and pulley replaced. Need to get a manifold flange gasket replaced to. Not looking forward to that. Hopefully Ill be able to get it on a hoist to do that.

Reactions: Babin Farms

·
Registered
297 Posts
Got around to replacing my harmonic balancer and pulley yesterday. Last week or so Ive been smelling anti freeze but couldn't find where it was coming from. Well when changing that stuff i found the upper hose leaking at the t-state housing. Hose looks ok but apparently the 26 year old spring clamp has lost its integrity and isn't clamping right.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Well not today but this week. New balancer pulley and seal. New front shocks. Going down the intersate at 70 reminded me of a washboard road so figured they where bad. Well they where. Been sitting on the floor for 2 days and still haven't decompressed. Got new rears to put on couldn't stand laying on my back to get those put on.
Put 600 miles on it today. Ran like a top. Wish I'd have gotten better mileage but got better then I was planning. Averaged 16-17 out of it but most of the trip was spent driving into a pretty stiff head wind. Found a few things that need some attention but will have some time to get them taken care of.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Got parts in to replace my starter yesterday and got it replaced today. Sounds so much better and cranks alot faster. Also changed oil while I had it up on the hoist.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Finally got around to installing my new tail light, front marker/turn light and headlight housings. Had them for about 6 months or so and got tired of looking at the box. New housing look great. Damn cheap imported crappy circuit boards in one of the tail lights was bad luckily my OEM one was still good. Did a walk around checking lights and found 3rd brake light didn't work any more so I replaced those bulbs as well. I wish that lens and gasket where still available mines seen better days but still does it job. Next trip to the pick and pull Ill try to get one.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Finally hopefully got the squeak in my dash fixed. When I replaced the dash i must have forgotten or didn't tighten one the screws in the panel under the wheel. If I put it in it either fell out or just didn't put it in couldn't find it anywhere. Ive been dealing with the squeak for 6ish months and finally hopefully have it fixed.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I really really really want to be sitting in the passenger seat when that squeak comes back and you lose your mind and start smashing things. that's what I usually do. Not productive, but it sure makes me feel better.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Lol if it starts up again just a excuse to turn the radio up louder.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I really really really want to be sitting in the passenger seat when that squeak comes back and you lose your mind and start smashing things. that's what I usually do. Not productive, but it sure makes me feel better.

Well you should have been in the seat next to me lol. I thought I had it on the short test drive I took but it is still there just now at higher speed. Hopefully be able to take all the panels off and make sure that all the clips and what not are in good shape.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Replaced my 3rd brake light/cargo light with an LED unit from LMC a few years ago. Was plug and play and lights up the bed pretty good, lot better than the stock one. Brake light is bright too. No issues with it so far.
Did your new light come with a new gasket?

·
Registered
297 Posts
So did you throw or break anything?

No lol just said a few choice words and turned the radio up a bit higher.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I didn't do it but had my rear brakes replaced today. This morning stepped on the brake to put in reverse and petal sank to the floor. Blew out a wheel cylinder and ruined the shoes. Didn't have time to do it myself and needed the truck back today since its my only set of wheels. Have 3 trucks and can only drive one. SHMBO gets to drive the nice fancy truck and I get the worn out one and the 3rd sits in my back yard rotting away.

·
Registered
297 Posts
.At this time I’ll also install the new Hayden severe duty fan clutch I purchased from rockauto the mid part of this year.
I'm glad that I'm not the only one that buys parts and waits for ever to install them. I think I had my new headlight, marker light and tail light assembles for 6+ months before I put them on.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Got you beat. About 18 months on the new ABS sensors, front axles, and sway links. 6+ months on the stainless hard brake line kit... etc etc etc.

Yeah you have me beat. I have 1 glow plug left to replace. Its the one behind the downpipe. My back doesn't do hard surfaces anymore so I can't lay on the driveway to unbolt it from the rest of the system and turbo to get it out of the way. Im getting close to your 18 months on that one. I don't even know where the plug is now. Im hoping that this next weekend I can get it replaced and it will help with the smoke at start up I'm having when its cold.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Well since mother nature finally decided to make it cold out in my part of the world I installed my super high tech weather front( AKA a piece of cardboard). Also think I figured out my block heater problem. I think is got a bad plug on it. If I move it around I loose continuity so I'll have to get a new end for it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Your supposed to wash and wax them lol. I don't think mine would know what to do with a wash and a wax.

Reactions: dieselolds

·
Registered
297 Posts
Well what I did was nothing good but isn't any thing major. Had to pull a small tree out of the ground today. Tried using the tow hooks to hook the chain to but discovered that I cant loop a chain through them because of the impact bumpers on the bumper block access to them. Who with GM thought that would be a good idea. Anyway just turned the truck around and wrapped the chain around the ball. I know it's not made for that but it was a small tree maybe 2 in in diameter and just tapping the throttle lightly pulled it out of the ground. Went to park and was backing up not paying full attention to where I was and backed right into the lifting post of a dumpster. So I have a nice dent right below my tail light. I was worried that I took out the tail light. Right now I rather have a dent then have to replace the tail light.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Changed oil and fuel filters. Found my exhaust leak. When i had the exhaust shop put doughnuts in I'm guessing the monkey behind the wrench went nuts with the impact when tighting the bolts and stripped the threads, I had one bolt missing with no threads in the hole. I was able to fit a 3/8 bolt in there with a nut on the other side. It isn't leaking as bad as it was but I'll have to get new gaskets again.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'd say that was a shop you'd never take your truck to again! :)
Yeah don't plan on it. Only reason I took it to them was I was short on time and needed other exhaust work done and they where the only place in town that could do anything with 4in piping.

Reactions: 56pan
1 - 20 of 20 Posts