Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1995 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 6.5 TD
652 Posts
Actually today I smelled coolant from my truck after driving it for 10 miles. There was no coolant visible on ground but the smell was there. Will have to perform a leak check on the cooling system and see whats going on.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Installed new HO water pump couldn't get power steering pump pulley back on Glagulator gave me great advice on using emery cloth to smooth out the area on the pulley. After that pulley went on great. still need to finish up task on WP install, Larger fan, heavy duty fan clutch and 190 stat and other small details before starting it up.

Reactions: LinePilot

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Got my new (used) air cleaner assembly today. Came across it on Craigslist and the guy shipped it to me. Cost $105 to my door. Couldn't be happier. I only needed the top cover, but now I have some spare parts. No more hot air intake for me.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Is that a K47?

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Completed water pump installation, purchased all new parts that was specified HO WP, fan clutch, nine blade fan, new upper/lower hoses, belt tensioner, thermostat 190 deg, cleaned cooling stack it was dirty. Used a vacuum system to evacuate cooling system down to 25hg to refill with fresh Coolant that worked great. Engine started up fine and no leaks or dribbles after driving it. Next on my list Hydroboost, new batteries and other items.

Reactions: LinePilot

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
My hydroboost was leaking from front seal at the weep hole. I believe due to my master cylinder rear seal leak and the brake fluid compromised the front seal on the hydroboost.
Well I bought new HB from Rock Auto 400 +tax/shipping installed and brakes are solid so far.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
I ordered just over $400 in parts last night through rockauto for my 96 Chevy 6.5 such as filters,tail light lenses and mirrors along with axle seals and park brake parts.I also picked up a set of new rear shocks,etc
what brand shocks did you purchase?

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
did this a couple weeks ago but first time back at a computer.... I took out my front bench seat that had over time been set to "laidback lowrider" mode with no other option. Pulled back the cover to find torn metal at multiple points. Ratchet strapped the seat back to normal and welded on some scrap metal to keep it all in place while I contemplate retrofitting newer buckets.
View attachment 637171 View attachment 637172 yuck

View attachment 637173 better yuck (heat shield is there just to keep things from catching fire) My back is a million times happier.
Looks good

Reactions: cruzer747

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
I pulled the trans, again, in my 93 today because I burned up the 3rd gear clutches.I just had it rebuilt too.
If i may ask what did it run to rebuild? Was it a complete rebuild?

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
If I was in Amarillo I totally would use his shop. The other problem is that they don't do carry outs. They only do the rebuild if they install it.

I do watch his channel and I have learned a lot. Richard is one of the best.
This is true but they don't do carry outs for the reason of installation by some people are not done correctly. Yes Amarillo is a long way to drive but you'd have a great tranny afterwards. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
I never did check to see if that could be possible.I just always put in whatever is recommended or specified by the vehicle manufacturer.
I have always done the same as you. Use what is specified by dealer but I read that 3&4 can be mixed.

Reactions: dieselolds

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Heading to get the black helo wheels mounted and balanced on the cooper tires I bought a few days ago.Hoping to get this 96 Chevy truck painted this month.I also purchased a new master cylinder and bleeder kit from rockauto for the same truck.

The brake seems okay but the master cylinder has a unknown history as it’s not the original that came with the truck and I don’t know how much useage it’s had so I’m just going to throw it out and go with a new unit from rockauto.
Better to change it out before it possibly starts to leak. The leak if any could take out your hydro-boost. Break fluid is a corrosive liquid. My mater cylinder started leaking and got into the from piston sealon the hydro-boost and it failed. FYI

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Replaced my front pads & rotors. Left brake pads were at 1.8". The right received the metal/metal award the guide pins were dryer than death valley. Strange thing is didn't hear any noise found it when rotating tires. The brake kit came with new guide pin seals, so pulled guide pin bushings out replaced seals and lubed guide pins and bushings. Had a brain freeze on how to remove the bushings but remembered after posting for assistance. Everything went back together great and test drive was good.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Well today I took went and got my batteries tested again. Had them tested where they actually drain and recharge it... needless to say I bought 2 new batteries. That and It would not start a few weeks ago with the radio on for about 15 min.

Also found out that my 8th digit of my vin is F.
For what its worth...I had that exact same problem with my 99 Denali gasser. The batteries were draining down after 15min of radio playin in accessories position. Finally after my $400 dry cell was drained I pulled the batt cables checked them out and found corrosion down inside the insulation. Then replaced them all and haven't had a issue since

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Today - Cleaned out the pre-filter on my Walbro FRB-5 on the veggie side.

Yesterday - Re-installed my Walking J RattleStops on the dashboard. So quiet inside now. So quiet.
What is Walking J RattleStops? where do you get them.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
No, it didn't. The old gasket was in bad shape so I sealed it with some black adhesive silicone......wiped off the excess....sealed it up good and looks fine.
Its terrible that when buying a new light housing for your truck the vendor doesn't include a new gasket. Most the time the old light been on the truck for 30+ years. New one should be included period.

Reactions: LinePilot and 56pan

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
New batteries. Will ditch the stupid sidepost clown design and got the normal ones on the top. I'll be on the lookout for some bigger diameter battery cables, but it's not urgent at the moment.

Already bought the top post clamps, and I will most likely tin the ends of the battery cables for some protection against the elements.
I would look into a top post battery terminal that you can fill with melted solder and stick the tinted ends into for a better connection and less issue with acid corrosion.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Reinstalled the right inner fender I painted six months ago, cleaned up and painted the inside of the front bumper, reinstalled with the grille (had to notch the bottom filler panel around the larger oil cooler fitting) that has been off for 13 months, took a couple drives around the neighborhood and using the GoPro for the first time.

Drive videos:
Nice, but on the 2nd video at time marker 5:13/5:20 is there a knocking noise I was hearing or is that normal.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts