Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
New Tires

Put a new set of rubber on the rig the other day. Replaced a worn out set of Michelin LTX.

Reactions: EppNation

·
Registered
252 Posts
Just installed a Fluidampr 800-141 on my truck. It really smoothed out the engine and seemed to make it quieter too. Paired that up with an Acdelco crank pulley. Also installed a new Acdelco vacuum pump and belt tensioner.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Good job on using delco parts.I also try to use those on all my GM trucks whenever possible.
Thank you sir. I remember you saying how tight your Fluidampr install was. Fortunately mine went on with no problems. I credit that to the heavy duty installer I got from jnlperformance and plenty of anti-seize compound. I mean it was tight but there was never any doubt about it going on properly. And I don't think it will be a big deal whenever I have to take it off for the timing chain.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Perfect example of the "Mud Dauber" welding technique...:D

Reactions: jnlperformance

·
Registered
252 Posts
Was having issues with fuel gauge and oil pressure gauge. Reworked the grounds on passenger side rear of engine. No more problems and did not cost a dime.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have issues with both of mine as well... Wonder if it could be a bad ground. This the grounds to the passenger rear by the intake?
Yes, there were 2 ground wires attached to the rearmost intake manifold stud on the passenger side, with ring terminals held by a bolt. One of the wires broke off when I reached down there to see if they were secure. So I joined the wires together and used one ring terminal. No more problems. The engine block to frame ground strap is right there also, on the stud for the tranny dipstick tube. Cleaned it up while I was in there also.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Front disc brake job

Had been hearing the front disc brake wear indicators rubbing the rotors so it was time for a front disc brake job. The old pads were paper thin but no damage to the rotors. Had them resurfaced anyway and repacked the bearings. Went to push the caliper pistons in to install new pads...both were stuck open. I mean frozen solid. Never got them to retract at all. Replaced both calipers and bled the system. Works fine now.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Went to start the '95 couple days ago and the starter kinda drug a little bit, never does that. Sure enough one of the batteries was bad. Installed a fresh set of AGM batteries and did the battery cable mod using SS bolts, lock washers, washers and nuts. Really solid connection. Also cut the rubber off the lugs on the factory cables for better connection. Looking real hard at upgrading to the PTWiring 2/0 cables soon.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
252 Posts
Installed a heavy duty headlight harness w/relays, along with a set of Philips H6054LED sealed beam replacement headlights. Kind of pricey but an improvement over the stock sealed beams. Dash lights are brighter too.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yikes! My favorite setup is prethread a nut on a bolt all the way up (3/8 coarse) 1.5-2" bolt and thread the bolt all the way in the battery and then back the nut down to tighten it along with plenty of grease everywhere. This ensures full thread engagement and never any stripped lugs on your battery and no stripped 5/16 post bolt heads. Factory cable sleeve need to be altered for this some.
When I replaced my batteries recently I did that too.

·
Registered
252 Posts
" but seriously, does that help corrosion?" Yes, it does. And those are new AGM batteries (call me moneybags again! LOL) But seriously, since AGM batteries don't emit corrosive gases like regular flooded cell batteries corrosion shouldn't be much of a problem anyway. Went with the SS hardware because I more than likely will never have to replace them again. (y)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Nice job on the terminals linepilot👍That’s how I usually do mine as well.Cant beat full thread engagement into the battery post with a 3/8” bolt.
Thank you sir. That double positive terminal was always hard to keep tight without stripping the battery post or rounding off the head on the battery stud.

·
Registered
252 Posts
View attachment 638457
went for a short Holliday down the NSW Australian east coast , No dramas except a near side front turn signal ,, but the roads were rough as hell ,,
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE
Nice looking rig, very clean! Is it a diesel? Merry Christmas! 🎄⛄

Reactions: Dadddyoh

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yes buddy 6.5 turbo 2003 with 26000 miles from new , runs like a dream
Your sig clearly states it is a 6.5 diesel, my bad, mate! Merry Christmas!

Reactions: explorer

·
Registered
252 Posts
Looks like I now have a full set of injectors on the way from eBay.I found two more German made 6.5 turbo Bosch injectors a few hours ago so that’ll complete a set of 8.It cost me over the $400 mark but I still think it’s worth it.
dieselolds, do you get your new injectors pop tested before installing? I replaced mine last year and just put em in.....runs fine....found out later that some get them tested before installing.

·
Registered
252 Posts
To be honest I usually never bother to pop test new injectors if they come from a good reputable source but maybe it’s something I should probably do in the future for peace of mind.With the German built injectors they are usually high quality so I might test them when I do receive them anyway as I bought them from a few different eBay sellers to make up the entire set of 8.
Great, so I'm not the only one out there that didn't get them tested! Lol. I put in new ACdelco injectors last year....they had "Bosch" stamped on the body so I figured they were of high quality and just put em in. But like you said, for peace of mind, I will probably have them tested next time. Thanks. (y)

Reactions: dieselolds

·
Registered
252 Posts
No problem 👍Were your injectors made in India or were they from Germany?I have stanadyne injectors made in Italy in my 96 gmc turbo truck and Bosch India with the purple plastic ring on my non turbo engine in my other truck.Both of them run extremely smooth I have to say.
Man I have no idea where they were made. Hopefully they are the good German ones! Lol.

Reactions: dieselolds

·
Registered
252 Posts
"Also did a first pass cleaning the firewall, after removing most of the crumbling original insulation." Did that to mine a few months ago. With that old crumbling insulation gone there is now a nice wide gap between the engine and the firewall.....air can now circulate around the back of the engine freely....not sure if it will help make the back 2 cylinders any cooler but can't hurt anything I guess. Can't tell any difference in noise or heat in the cab either so I will leave it be.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Today I did some maintenance on the ole wiper/washer system....replaced the nozzles with some new Dorman units and a new Acdelco pump from RA. Decided to reuse the old hoses as they were still pliable and no cracks. Had to replace a hose coupler that broke. Blew out the lines and cleaned the washer bottle. She is spraying good again(y)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yesterday I raised my FFM using threaded rod and iron pipe. Now the fuel hoses are out from under the IM. Installed a new EP158 LP and Acdelco OPS, along with a LP relay harness with WTS priming. Next step is to drop the fuel tank and install a new one with a new Acdelco sending unit with the correct sock, along with new fuel lines from the tank. Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive fuel system Hood

1 - 20 of 43 Posts