Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 200 Posts

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,128 Posts
Two weeks ago I installed new rod and main bearings,oil pump,screen and oil pump driveshaft in my '87 6.2 diesel that I just installed in a '98 silverado.Changed all the brake lines under the hood,installed new valve covers,CDR valve and finished things off with new delphi short body injectors,reman 5048 injection pump and 60G glow plugs.I also added a HMMWV intake manifold bit I need to make a round spacer for the lower air cleaner housing to be placed upon.A DSG stud girdle kit too was installed.

The engine is almost ready to fire up but I still have some work under the hood to do with the wiring and Y pipe under the truck.Other than that it's almost completed.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,128 Posts
Coolant light came on, dumped some coolant dye in and took it for a drive, inspection cover and bottom show coolant,under balancer has one spot, need to pull the skid plate and make sure it's just the water pump and not the timing cover,just glad it's not a head gasket!!!
Head gasket repair is no picnic,that's for sure.Glad you dodged a bullet on that one.I'm still working on the 660 project.Having converted back to the early 80's 6.2 cast rocker arms.Have it all back together now with the exception of a problem with one of the new injectors.It sounds like one of them is sticking open resembling a rod knock but on Monday its back under the hood to find out which one is causing me the grief.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,128 Posts
Got the radio working in my 93 K1500 for the first time in over a year.The part behind the ash tray was the culprit.Some sort of amplifier,etc.Then installed a good used front driveshaft with new u-joints.Its all winter ready now.One last thing was grease the front end and all u-joints.Today I'm thinking of draining off the tranny fluid and refill with new.It has a nice chrome pan with drain plug to make fluid changes much easier with less mess.

Reactions: Crazyxxxinsane

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,128 Posts
Removed the ac compressor from my 93 K1500 with 97 506 block today.I'm using the accessories from the 97 engine.The compressor has been making strange sounds lately so I tossed it and installed the ac bypass pulley with bracket.Just had to replace the bearing and it was set to go.Also removed the vacuum pump since I'm using a turbomaster from Heath diesel anyway.Everything seems good right now.Tommorrow it's adding a ground from the cab to the chassis and then to the engine.The cab hasn't been grounded in a few years so it's time I get that done.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,128 Posts
Installed a new GM tv cable a few days ago on my 93 K1500 with 6.5 TD and 700R4.I've noticed the diesel tv cable has a green clip rather the common black clip I'm used to seeing.The part number is 25515599.They are discontinued from GM.I bought two cables from eBay.Roches garage was the seller.These are definitely much better than the aftermarket cables.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,128 Posts
Just changed the oil and filter on my 93 K1500 today.I used Mobil delvac 1 esp 0W40.Installed a new trans filter and Mobil fluid at the same time.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,128 Posts
Picked up a 1990 700R4 2wd tranny yesterday.The fluid looks perfect.A nice color overall.I have it to replace my current 700R4 in my 93 K1500 with a 6.5.It slips in overdrive under load.I plan on taking the 90' transmission apart to change the output shaft and reassemble it.It has a 1654 stall converter which I'd like to replace with a 1211 stall speed from a 6.2 tranny.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,128 Posts
Just purchased a set of mkw m85 16" wheels for my 97' K1500.They look pretty decent I think.Also have splined lug nuts to go along with it.The wheels on the '97 truck currently I'll take off and place them on one of my other Chevy trucks.Total cost for the wheels shown above was $1100 shipped.

Attachments

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,128 Posts
Spent today doing a rear brake job on my 93 K1500 6.5.I used all acdelco parts and replaced the axle seals,backing plates,drums,park brake cables,etc.Also installed two prebent stainless steel brake lines over the rear axle.Shouldn't have to lay a wrench on this truck for another few years.I also installed a new Lund cab visor.

Yesterday I installed a new carpet,new sill plates and weather stripping.It looks great inside.Just need to head to Walmart to pick up a set of floor mats.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,128 Posts
Currently taking a break from replacing injectors to sit down and eat some grub. Brand new bosch's torqued into the cylinder heads :thumb: now just to replace the rubber lines under the intake and clean off the crappy intake gaskets that disintegrated when i removed the lower intake then bolt everything back up!:ro)
Sounds good:thumb:

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,128 Posts
A short time ago I also installed a 99 6.5 goodwrench van engine into my late 90s K1500 pickup that originally had a vortec gasoline engine.After the vortec,in went a 6.2 diesel but I removed it for a upcoming rebuild sometime down the road.My Father purchased a old Chevy van with the 6.5 so we decided to use that engine.Works wonderfully.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,128 Posts
Spent a couple hours today installing new acdelco front shocks and brake flex hoses on my 93 K1500.The steel section of the flex hose was rusty so I didn’t want to risk leaving it on any longer.The shocks too were long overdue.They must of been on there 12 yrs or so.

Reactions: rattlindiesel92

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,128 Posts
That’s true.Never seems to stop.My rigs aren’t giving me too much grief.I was planning on giving my blue K1500 a wheel alignment last week but postponed it for now.The two front wheels are tipped in toward the engine.I had it aligned a couple years ago but whoever did it didn’t do it right.I’m bringing it to another garage this time around.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,128 Posts
Good job on solving the problem:thumb:

Reactions: Injectorsaurus

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,128 Posts
My filter-mag showed up today in the mail so I put it on my latest project truck with the 6.5 van engine.My two other K series trucks have the same magnet as well.

Attachments

Reactions: guybb3

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,128 Posts
A few days ago I installed a Lund brand rear cab visor on my 93 K1500.Looks pretty nice.Along with that was the installation of a front visor for trucks with factory cab lights.I gave it a few coats of universal red engine enamel and gave it a layer of clear afterwards.I’ll have to take a picture or two and show you guys how it turned out.

Reactions: turbonator

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,128 Posts
Yes please do!

I have some Lund side steps that I've been very pleased with after spending an atrocious amount of time fabricating some factory side step mounting brackets to work.
The installation kit that was intended for these steps (sold separately @80 ️ridiculous) was wrong on so many levels I almost returned the step rails. The brackets themselves HUNG on the seam of where body panels join together and involved a #14 lag screw up into the rocker panel... x4 per side...
Talk about a bad idea! I have very minimal body rust and I intend on keeping it that way!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
I’ll take some pictures today.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,128 Posts
Pictures will be posted of the visors shortly but a couple days ago I used almost 5 gallons of a fluid film type product by using my undercoating gun on the red 93 K1500.The truck should last for a long time underneath.I coated everything pretty good.Inside the rocker panels and cab corners are also filled up.

Reactions: turbonator

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,128 Posts
Here’s a picture of both lund roof visors...

Attachments

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,128 Posts
While rust proofing the truck underneath,I found a broken main leaf spring on the passenger side.I have a new complete husky spring set with u-bolts/hardware that arrived from rockauto today.Here are some pictures of the broken spring and the bushing wasn’t the greatest either.I’m planning on installing the new spring set sometime tomorrow.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 200 Posts