Diesel Place banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
I am a newb here and to diesels. New proud owner of a 1998 K1500 6.5 for a week.
Over the last few days I have.Changed oil, replaced the lift pump and fuel filter, fixed dome lights. Checked out truck from front to rear looking for problems... Thankfully very few found:thumb: She is a good runner.
Have a list of too do stuff like: lube /change fluids in trans, xfer case, front and rear diffs, coolant flush and fill over the next few days
After I get her freshend up a bit then come the mods....Mu... haa haaa haaa!!!!:D
Never been much into diesels But. Thought it was time for a change from the same old gassers.
Starting to really like driving a rattler. Dieselplace is cool I have learned a lot here.
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Replaced my windsheild washer pump. Always take them for granted till they dont work. Nice having a clean windshield at my finger tip.:)

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Pulled the DRL fuse and cranked up the Tbar bolts for 1" of lift.
Now I am in control of the lighting, my truck sits level and has a little firmer better ride.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Put a nice Pioneer sound system in... It aint no faster... But it shure sounds better:RockOn: CanT even hear the world coming to an end. When i fire up the 6.5 on cold mornings:D

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Well i pulled the trigger today, did the inevitable and relocated my PMD. Even tho the PMD really was not giving me problems. I figgured bette do it before it left me sitting beside the trail somewhere. Installing the kit with new PMD was like night and day. WOW!
My truck runs smoother, quieter, and has better overall performance.
I guess the original PMED was on its way out. Nothin like a little preventive maint. To bring a smile to your face.
While i was waiting for the PMD kit to get here. I pulled the upper intake.
:eek::eek: What a mess. The EGR really clogs things up. So I cleaned all the crap and black goop out of the upper. Then got after it with a die grinder and opened up/gutted the ports up a lot to improve air flow.
My next mod is a re flashed PCM with EGR delete! What a useless POS on a diesel engine.
:DVery Happy with how my 6.5 is running now.

I have done a few mods in the last month to the outside too.
The before pic in in my AV.
After pic with 33x12.50 MT tires and a snugtop bed cover:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Tire

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Installed a new idler arm today. Steering is a lot tighter now. New pittman arm is next on the list then alignment.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Changed the ATF/filter and put on a new set of shocks. Never been a fan of Rancho 5000 shocks. Always thought they rode too stiff.
But I bought a set because they were priced right and the only thing in town that would fit my truck with a 2" lift.
Pretty pleased. They must have improved them since the last set I bought. They ride good. LOL A lot better than the old worn out OEM shocks i took off.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
That Heath sticker ought to be good for about 10 Ft LBS:D
PS. You must have an R after the 6.5 turbo sticker to really make any HP with it.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
My truck as usual, Runs great! So I raided my truck fund and bought a new gun for the rifle rack.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
New batteries , AC delco 60g Glow Plugs & Block heater. Im ready for winter. Yay!!!!
Bring on the cold weather. 22 degrees F outside this mornin, and truck lit off & ran smooooth, with just a touch of the key and not being plugged in. Im ready!

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Dot 3 and 4 can be mixed with no problems. They are the same fluid except DOT 4 has a higher boiling point.
Never mix DOT 5. It will gel up and you may end up replacing all the hydraulics in the brake system.
It is always best to stick with the recommended spec fluid.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Just FYI Dorman bought Flightsystems automotive control group back in 2018. So unless older than 2018. Flightsystems PMD are Dorman. As far as I can find. Flightsystem and now Dorman PMD are still made in USA at the same plant where they were built before the buy out.
Unless it is marked made in another country. I know Dorman was importing them for a long time before buying Flightsystems

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Why not tap into the AC on the low pressure side and run a refrigerant line thru a heat sink? Maybe enclose the PMD in its own little insulated refrigerator.:)

Reactions: dieselolds

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
With the high fuel prices. i have been doing things to improve Mileage.
Took off my Mud terrains and put on highway tires. 285x17
Aligned the front end for best fuel mileage.
Cleaned my air filter
Checked fuel system tank to IP.
Changed oil Rotella T6
Changed Trans, xfer case fluid, front and rear diffs to synthetic
Removed lumber racks.
Installed the stock front air dam I removed many years ago.
Should help a lot. Just switching out to highway tires gives me 2-3 MPG on the freeway.
Havent checked mileage. But boost pressures going down the highway are 1-2 lbs lower now. That was my goal .
Less air= less fuel.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
What fluid did you use for the Trans, xfer case and diffs?
regular Dex 3 in Trans and xfer. Mobil 1, 75-90 syn in diffs.
Fluids were due for a change. Because the trans and case were designed for Dex 3. I have always kept using it. Instead of switching to Dex 6. Which is synthetic.

Reactions: Tmcbride
1 - 15 of 15 Posts