Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one that is mad everyone is replacing chrome bumpers for plastic? The whole idea of a chrome bumpers is they don't get chips, scratches, ect if you lightly bump into anything or just from stones and such while driving. Painted bumpers are horrible, after a year they start to look like complete junk, they ruin the whole look. Stone chips here, scratches there, ect.

Plus I liked how the Chrome would break up the look of the front of the truck a bit. The new Tahoe and Durango look like they have too much paint in the front, like a big jelly bean, especially with the new rounded "van" look everyone is changing to now. I want chrome and metal back on the outside of my trucks, not cheap plastic. Even a little chrome like the last generation GM and Ford trucks looked fine and still served a funtion.

I really am mad about this, does anyone know of an aftermarket chrome bumper company? I might have to start one if all these truck and suv companies keep cheaping out.

·
Registered
141 Posts
buy what you like and if you don't like the plastic bumpers don't but it!:)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem though is everyone is going to plastic bumpers now. In the past there atleast was a choice. GMC/Chevy if you wanted chrome, Caddy/Denali if you wanted plastic. The Caddy/Denali line was the "grocery getter" version while the regular GMC/Chevy version was the work/tough truck. You could order the Avalanche with or without all the plastic crap on the sides. Now they are all just big plastic street rides, what happen to the tough "Like a Rock" image. If I wanted a big mini-van I would buy a van.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Cuttin costs I'd say, to do chrome good is not easy. Plus the crazy upturn in prec metals prices and toxic waste disposal. Who'da thought trucks with no chrome on them. I hear environ wackos are demanding wicker bumpers next year...

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I just saw on TV that by 2008 or 09 Trucks and SUV's are going to come from the factory lower and and with bigger lower bumpers. Something about how accidents with truck's/suv's and smaller cars are becoming a higher percentage. Just keep your chrome bumpered bigger truck for years I guess.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts