Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 230 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at picking one up. I know everyone has opinions of the best, but figured I would ask.

Thinking of a 1911 type.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I really enjoy my Kimber 1911 (full size) thinking about picking up an Ultra carry soon
(3" barrel) as my carry pistol. I also like my S&W 686, 357 mag, it all depends on what you want to do with a gun...

·
Registered
144 Posts
it all depends on what your doing with it for a ccw i would say glock, sig
might even look at springfeild

for a duty gun i carry a sig 226 i have carryed a glock but to me nothing fit my hand and shoots better than my 226
another one of my favorite is 1911 but low round count

for sport shooting 1911, any wheel gun my personal fav 686 S&W
fn 5.7x28 keltec pmr 30,

best thing for you to do is try some out pick somthing that fits you.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I used the beretta 9mm in the marines, but no other hand guns really.

Really just looking at starting my collection. Guess I should shoot some more and figure out which ones fit me.

Heard good things about Kimber too.

That 226 sounds like a nice weapon.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
Like mcurrin says, you have to find what fits your hand they best, it might be an HK, or a glock and the SIG might just be bad fit for you. GO handle and shoot as many as you can before making your mind up.

I am a SIG guy as well, I never leave the house with out my trusty SIG 220 with me. One thing you have to remember is that most Sigs 220, 229, 226, 250, are mostly DA/SA (double action pull tirgger cocks the hammer and fires) (Single action means the hammer must be cocked before firing whether it be by hand or from the last round cycling the action). And a 1911 is SA only, if this is going to be a carry gun I would not recommend a 1911 as a 1st timer carry weapon. If its just a range toy then disregard

If you are considering a 1911, find the size you are want to get buy a NEW Springfield 1911 (you dont have to get too fancy with it) and then go and buy all the up graded parts from Night Hawk, and Wilson Combat, and pay a good 1911 smithy to put them in and do your trigger work . What you end up with is a gun that would be superior to most any off the shelf Kimber, SIG, or other mid level/semi custom 1911's for the same cost or less at worst case it would be just a 100 or 2 more with the labor charges from the smithy

Reactions: Dmax_Fiddler

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yes it is going to be a carry gun. I like your thoughts on the sa / da for a first time carry weapon. I love the look of the 1911 but looks like I might end up with 2 different guns. I can't believe how many different models there are out there.

Are most carrying a 45 or 9mm?

·
Registered
368 Posts
My vote is a 1911 in the flavor of .45 ACP. I have a full size Kimber custom and love it, but in retrospect, I would say to get a less expensive base model, then take it to a specialized gunsmith to make it exactly like you want it.
For CCW I would suggest a smoothed exterior (dehorned), smoothed minimal hammer, ambidextrous safety, an extended/flared mag well, lowered/flared ejection port, tuned extractor, a heavier trigger, and a crowned bull barrel.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
The SIG P250 compact in .45 is nice and may be my next carry gun. It's double action only, no sharp edges or corners for easy draw. While I too am a Kimber fan the price is too high for me....worth every penny, but too high. I really like my 1911 with National Match slide and barrel, but it is a bit heavy for a carry gun. My wife carries the SIG P250 sub-compact in 9mm.

I am also partial to the 7 and 8 shot .357 revolvers (SW 686 Plus, 586 Comp-L, M&P R8) with the shorter barrels....not cheap.

·
Registered
16,214 Posts
I am using a Ruger SR9c as a CC and you should look into that. Easy to Conceal with a crossbreed holster.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
For Carry then yes I would go with a DA only, or a DA/SA weapon, with NO manual safeties. a 1911 or other SA pistol is desinged to be carried in condition 1 (or cocked and locked) and While I have done it and still do it form time to time I just dont like it. Some people are fine with it, others are not.

The whole point to a carry weapon is to have it with and ready to be used as fast as possible under extreme stress. A manual safety even on a 1911 can be very easy to forget to disengage under a massive adrenalin dump. The trigger pull on a DA pistol is long and heavy and takes a lot of purposeful deliberate action to fully cycle it. We all love a 1.3lb razor sharp supper crisp trigger on a worked over 1911, but thats not ideal for a carry weapon at least to me, as you can inadvertently trip it under stress much easier than a long drawn out DA trigger pull.

DA/SA lets you keep the hammer down on a chambered round carry it safely and still allow you very very simple access to it if you need it. But thats my take on it all.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Springfield Compact XD in .45 gets my vote. You have 13 rounds of 230 grain coming out of a very reliable pistol.

Reactions: Dmax_Fiddler

·
Registered
891 Posts
I am using a Ruger SR9c as a CC and you should look into that. Easy to Conceal with a crossbreed holster.
This is my daily carry also.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
P2000SK .40 LEM trigger, same pull every shot (about 4.2 lbs).

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I'm currently carrying a Ruger LC9 in a Crossbreed. It was just supposed to be a temporary gun until I got the 4" 1911 I want, but it's very comfortable to carry and can be concealed even under a tucked-in t-shirt. Still only a 9mm though.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
To OP:
Start simple, i.e. maybe ask the simple question of revolver vs semi-auto..........? I'd do that and get that answer for myself before I went any further down the road with a decision on your first handgun purchase.

Reactions: TiredFarmer

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
To OP:
Start simple, i.e. maybe ask the simple question of revolver vs semi-auto..........? I'd do that and get that answer for myself before I went any further down the road with a decision on your first handgun purchase.
Semi auto.

·
Registered
222 Posts
If you like the 1911 style you should look into the Springfield EMP series. They are a sized down 1911 designed from the ground up to be eith a .40 or 9mm. They are light and most importantly for carry they are thin. With a factory bull barrel they are very accurate for a very short pistol.

1 - 20 of 230 Posts