Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well everything was going alright,:eek:fftopic: after my last trip with my tranny limpin on me, but everything is ok now... but n-e-poop i was driving on I-75 today going to school in tifton GA and my MPG was horrible at a average or like 75-80 mph i was geting like 13.9 tops, and as anyone would know on 75 you have to do at least 80 to keep up with traffic, but i guess i could slow down a lil bit but where is the fun with that right... well i was just posting one to see if any got better mpg recently?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Maybe there was a strong headwind. I usually get around 20 + or - a little when crusing at 70 to 73mph. When I have a head wind it is more like 17.5 at 70-73. It is also directly related to speed and rpms. 75 to 80 will drink more fuel.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
is that MPG using the DIC or hand calc

·
Registered
498 Posts
Hand calculated. I also accounted the 8% difference for the 285 tires. Of course, I keep a light foot or the cruise on - no major hills or mountains.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Whats the difference in percentage for 265's? Does anybody know?

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
going from 245/75/16 to 265/75/16 = about 4% dif
60 mph actually 62.4 mpg. apporoximate.
Have a nice day!

·
Registered
83 Posts
going from 245/75/16 to 265/75/16 = about 4% dif
60 mph actually 62.4 mpg. apporoximate.
Have a nice day!
Man! That's some great milage!!

(I know, I know, 62.4 mph but I just couldn't resist!!) ):h

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I lost probably 2mpg going to 285's, even after adjusting for the difference.

Freeway speeds above 70 really kill my mileage, as does stop and go city driving.
The only way I can do better than 16 is by holding my speed below 65.

Keep in mind that we're running winter blend fuel now... that'll cost a bit too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
when i first put them 305 maxxis big horns on there it cut my mileage down almost about 2 or 3 but then again i got that chip in there and its says " 2-3 mpg" or something like that i was just wondering... soo

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
2-3 would be very optimistic for a programmer, and you are only going to get that if you keep your foot out of it. A couple of good romps can really swat the average for the tank.

My worst tank ever was today at 13.86, but the truck literally ran from 8:30am until about 2:30pm, covering only about 70 miles.
I was running a quick inventory of about 30 intersections and I wasn't stopped at any one location longer than a couple of minutes except for phone calls, so I just let her idle.
DIC read 16.9 when I left home and 15.0 when I was done for the day... took nearly 2 gallons more than DIC said I burned... a programmer will do that to you.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Keep in mind that we're running winter blend fuel now... that'll cost a bit too.
Hey Rich we don't run winter fuel in socal it's not cold enough to effect us.when you pump fuel you see that it say's #2 diesel if it was winter blend it should say #1 diesel

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Hey Rich we don't run winter fuel in socal it's not cold enough to effect us.when you pump fuel you see that it say's #2 diesel if it was winter blend it should say #1 diesel
Hmm... my mileage took a dump about the same time everyone else started talking about winter blend.... when it should have been getting better with the truck passing through 5,000 miles.

What happens if I fuel up and head to Big Bear or Mammoth for the weekend?

·
Registered
294 Posts
here they don't change the marking on the pumps they just do it. Who know's what is in the tanks for sure. Never assume, cause god knows what they deliever where.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I doubt you could even find #1 in the entire state (CA). not cold enough.

It will always state #1 or #2. It's not like MTBE or other additives in gasoline.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I got on the tire manufacturer website and found the height of the stock tire on my truck and the height of the goodyear I put on and used those. I figured that gave me the most accurate measure without using GPS. Mine comes up to be about 4.62% if I remember correct from the Bridgestone to the Goodyear.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I think you can find winter blend alot of places in Cali like all the passes and places like Truckee and Lake Tahoe.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
you might find it in tahoe but in chino i dont think so the Ca just doesnt get that cold it is #2 all year here

·
Registered
413 Posts
Diesel will start to gel below 10F. The highest ncal pass town's lows average mid teens for only 1-2 months in winter. I can't speak for the far north, but have never seen it Tahoe to Kings Canyon on the west side. Maybe a hidden station or two, but certainly not mainstream, as it would rarely, if ever, sell.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts