Diesel Place banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what gear to tow 10000 lb 5er with LBZ(stock). Most of my towing will be on fairly flat terrain. Is anybody towing in 6th with tow-Haul mode on.

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
use whatever gear the TCM choses...just leave it in D, tow/haul on. The TCM is smarter than us and in 99% of situations, make a better decision on which gear to use! :) Mines a 5-speed, but ive never had to lock out overdrive when towing or anything...the TCM does a great job with this transmission...its very smart and has a well designed shift algorithm. And from what I understand, the 2006's are even better.

--Ben

·
Registered
294 Posts
I just hit tow/haul and go. That is what the manual says to do and the dealer. If it can it will slide into 6th just have to wind it up to about 65 to get her to kick in on tow/haul, after that it will purr right along till ya rap it in the ass or hit a hill. Have fun :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks you guys, I'm used to pulling the 5er with the old 03 6.0 gasser.
I can't wait to hook up and see the difference.

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
Yeah you'll notice a little difference :D

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just wondering what gear to tow 10000 lb 5er with LBZ(stock). Most of my towing will be on fairly flat terrain. Is anybody towing in 6th with tow-Haul mode on.
Picture of your rig completely hooked up is required.

...not for any technical reason, just I wanna see the 10K 5er so I can dream when mine becomes reality (my lil 4000 TT grows up).

):h

·
Registered
572 Posts
ZRTMANN00,
I towed a 13,000lb 5ver with my LBZ with Boost and EGT guage in tow/haul from NY to Florida and back again. Exhaust temps with cruise on never get above 1250 degrees, so you have nothing to worry about. Put her in drive and enjoy the smooth sailing for a stock truck it is very impressive:ro) Dave

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
drive and tow/haul and you will be good to go

·
Registered
6 Posts
Overall, I have left the rig in tow/haul and let the tranny have it's pick. On one grade I did go to manuel mode since the tranny seemed to be lugging a bit, and dropped to 5th just to bump up the rpms. During this I am pulling a 8,000lb 5th wheel. The manuel mode really is a dream on those nasty downhills, saves riding the brakes by dropping to 5 or 4.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Well, my TT comes in at about 11K loaded. Here's what I did:

1) Load 'em up.
2) Hook 'em together.
3) Get the family.
4) Start 'er up.
5) Tow/Haul
6) Put 'er in 'D'
7) Go.

No problems. That's pulling mountains of NH, VT and bucking side-winds (on occasion).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts