Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to do my first fluid changes. I have settled on Baldwin oil filters and Delvac-1 oil. Is there a better fuel filter than OEM (Delco)?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Well you only have one choice...

Racor's got the patent on the fuel filter setup so it's going to be one of theirs whether you get one from the stealer or a Racor.

Some of the vendors here will sell you a Racor for the LB7, but if you've got an LLY, you'll need to see the stealer. The LB7 filter will fit an LLY, but it's about 3/4 inch shorter.

Check out this thread for some info on it and the part number for the LLY filter:

http://dieselplace.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7167&KW=LLY+fuel+filter

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
OEM is only one to make LLY filter at this point. Aftermarket dont even rebox it yet. I have them as well as your local dealer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is this the reason a lot of people add a secondary fuel filter or is there some other reason? Should I add one and if so, what kind and will it void my warranty?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
There's no simple answer to that question.

There's evidence to suggest that the majority of the fuel system problems experienced by Dmax owners has to do with the poor quality of the fuel found in this Country vs Europe.

Racor, who developed the system on your truck has worked with GM to produce their pre OEM filter set up. Word has it that since GM was in on it, it shouldn't affect your warranty, but that's not in print on anything I've seen from GM. Warranty problems tend to be associated with the SM at your dealership. If he's okay with a particular filter set up, you're probably okay.

Whether you go pre or post OEM is a matter of substantial discussion and varying opinions here. You'll need to do a few searches on the subject, there's lots of material on it here, and make your own decision about whether or not it's necessary, and if so, which system is best for you.

If you decide to install one, you might consult with your SM to see what his opinion is before proceeding. My SM has been difficult to work with, so I got his approval before I installed the system I have.

I don't mean to duck your question, but you'll have to answer it yourself through your own research.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Zeeb,

How is yours working out for you? I need to order one up just have not had the time to look into it more.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Voodoo,

No problems. I look at it once in awhile just to verify no leaks or wiring problems, but it's mostly to show other people. I've got the feeling I may cuss it when it comes time for the first change, since I did not loosen the filter and re-tighten it before the install. But I bought the Racor filter wrench, and already have a strap wrench so it shouldn't be too bad.

My SM has a copy of the Racor bulletin and I have one with the truck papers just in case there's ever a question...

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Zeeb, what Racor filter do you have that you need a special wrench? Later! Frank

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Zeeb said:
My SM has a copy of the Racor bulletin and I have one with the truck papers just in case there's ever a question...
what bulletin is that?

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
570 Posts
Thanks for the update zeeb.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Frank Blum said:
Zeeb, what Racor filter do you have that you need a special wrench? Later! Frank

I've got the Racor pre-OEM so it's got the bowl on the bottom that you have to change with the filter.

This wrench is made by Racor and is a heavy nylon type material. It's set up to remove that bowl without damaging it on one end, and the other end is for removing the WIF sensor from the OEM filter.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
jholly said:
Zeeb said:
what bulletin is that?

Thanks,

Jim

It's the Racor Product Bulletin that describes the filter set up and says to consult your local GMC truck dealer or Racor distributor for installation and assistance. It also gives the part numbers for the actual Racor kit and filter guard.

The Racor kit costs a bit more than Greg's kit and there are a few differences in them, but the major components are the same. The filter guards are quite a bit different.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Zeeb,

Do you have a part number for the wrench and where did you purchase it?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Voodoo,

I can go get that for you, but if you call Greg and just tell him what you want, he'll know. I got the wrench, a Fumoto valve, stainless bleed screw, and an extra OEM fuel filter from him.

The filter is an LB7 one, but it was before GM released the ones for the LLY's, and I wanted a spare OEM fuel filter.

Put up another note here or PM if you need the part #...Edited by: Zeeb

1 - 14 of 14 Posts